IGNORED

Amazing Diesel engine

Flyinfool

Incredible piece of engineering.

OPERATIONAL

THERE ARE STILL SOME REAL ENGINEERS IN THE WORLD.

THIS IS AMAZING.....

Watch it all the way through, he machines, assembles and runs this little engine.....

This is not CNC technology; this guy made everything at home on his lathe and drill press. Took 1220 hours (a year and a half?) to make the 261 pieces. Note the end-loaded crankshaft into the block (like an Offy), 12 individual cylinder heads, TINY rods and pistons, dual "underhead" cams with pushrods to rockers in the heads. And, he did break-in runs using an electric drill driving the crankshaft!

Even if you're not an engineer, you'll appreciate this!

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

I'd like to know a little more about his ignition system and just how is he regulating the rpm, it seems to be fixed...

Bob, diesels don't need an ignition system only compression. To regulate the speed would be done by fuel flow.

That was Impressive thanks Jeff. I would imagine he machined all of his bolts making cap bolts would have probably added several more hours. Notice how everything was torqued properly.

Sorry Bob no spark plugs here :stirthepot: probably won't need any Seafoam either.

Some of my observations.

There is no lubrication system, it just uses the oil and grease applied during assembly.

There were no actual bearings on the journals, so I am not sure just how many times he will be able to run it.

It says that the only machines he had were a lathe and a drill press. I wonder if the drill press was lost in the translation and it was really a milling machine.

Many modern diesels have glow plugs to help get them started. I did not see any sign of glow plugs on this engine.

Any way you look at it, it is/was a labor of love and should be very proud of his accomplishment.