IGNORED

Gas Mileage

martinb321

This has probably been asked before, but.... I have recently purchased a 99 RSV with very low miles. I had to do a bunch of work to get it road worthy. I have put around 500 miles on it in the last week and have noticed that the speedometer is off approximately 10% (VERY ANNOYING, I like to know my exact speed without a calculation). When I meter the gas mileage running mostly freeway speeds 75-80mph which meters 80-85 or more on the speedometer I am getting 38 - 40 mph. Calculate the 10% odometer error that makes 34-35 mpg. Does this sound right?

That's about where I've been with two different ones, an '04 and now a '99. I have gotten as high as the mid 40's mpg, but not many times. I know everything is "right" on this one too, about 2k miles on carb rebuilds/tuning, new plugs, valve adjustments, all by the PO. I know some folks really keep an eye on fuel mileage, but I don't as much anymore, I just like to let it run!! How many miles on your '99?? Mines at 29k and just getting broken in.

Check your odometer against a measured distance. It is very common to have the odometer correct but the indicated speed be off.

As for mileage, there are so many significant variables involved. Just depending on how I am riding, I have had as high as 47 mpg and as low as 20 mpg for a full tank. :whistling: :bikersmilie:

Hey Stroker, I just don't get the whole gps/bike thing. I've always lived by the old adage, "you're never lost on a motorcycle"!!:whistling:

I didn't say I had a gps was just showing what others had found using a gps.

I personally would not own a gps. What fun is that? My whole point of riding is to go places I've never been and to stop and ask for directions if needed. I have met some really nice people and friends that way of course they are exceptions to that also.

I could see living in a city or from the city possibly needing one. Where I'm from you turn by that big old tree on the corner, problem is the tree's been gone for 20 years lol. :stirthepot:

Amen Brother!! I've got one, an old Tom-Tom, and I've used it about 3 or 4 times since my wife bought it for me a few years ago, but just not on the bike. The guy I bought the bike from had a really nice Garmin mounted on it, all wired up for power and aux for the audio, which worked out fine for my mp-3. Heck, I really don't even like using the headsets, but the boss says we're gonna use 'em!:whistling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrench viewpost.gif

Heck, I really don't even like using the headsets, but the boss says we're gonna use 'em!:whistling:

My connector always vibrates loose on my headset and the next thing I know silence. :confused24: :rotf:

Yeah, ain't it funny how that happens??!! I can already see I'm gonna have problems with that dang mic-mute thingy too!:stirthepot:

Wow, that IS a low mileage ride, it's not even near broken in. From talking to the PO of mine it's really hard on them to sit for an extended period, even if it's planned for. He said this one had sat in a garage for 3+ yrs, but it was unintentional due to an illness by the then-owner.

Yeah this one sat for a long time. I bought it from my Father in Law so I know it's history. I had to rebuild the carbs, replace the fuel pump, and a myriad other things to get it running. I have put around 500 miles on it over the past week and it seems to be running pretty good.

You are correct, it is hard on a bike to set too long without maintenance.

Here is a link to a few pics of my bike. I already posted this on another thread, sorry for the double post.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/89a0axy8i3uwuq3/1cjFTWUiXN

I have gotten in the habit of using the gps on my iphone and the free pandora radio. I can still use the intercom , listen to the radio and and hear instruction on my gps. I rely on the gps to tell me my speed , for me to do 70mph my speedo is reads about 78mph.

I never use my odometer for anything but as a predictor of maintenance and I usually perform it early. . .