IGNORED

Overnight in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

Venturous Randy

Linda and I decided to get away for an overnight and decided to go to Gatlinburg to see the Christmas lights before the end of the year. We got a room in Pigeon Forge on the river and after a nap, rode up to Gatlinburg to eat and do the usual walk through town. For a Thursday night, there were a lot of folks in town.

Today, we took a ride through Cades Cove and even at this time of year, there was a lot of traffic. We did not see any bear, but there sure were a lot of deer. You would think that some of these people have never seen a deer before as there was a lot of stopping and watching.

As we were leaving Pigeon Forge and heading back to I-40, it was a solid three lanes of traffic barely moving all the way, coming toward Pigeon Forge from the interstate. How many cars could there be in a parking lot three lanes wide and seven miles long?

No, we were not on the bike, but it sure did make me want to look forward to spring time.

RandyA

Guest scarylarry

That is why I come in the back way off 321 drops me off the traffic light #8 in PF..

How was the Christmas lights?

I went last year and they have seem to cut them back quite a bit...

Yes Larry, that is the way I come in also and had very little traffic. Most people do not know about that route.

There were a lot of lights and to think about it, there may have been less this year. I was down there several years ago fo New Years eve and they were going to do the ball drop from the tower thing and ended up leaving about 11pm as there was just too many people. I bet it is full right now.

RandyA

Guest scarylarry

Your right lot of people don't know that route and then again the hard slab works beat for them..

If I do the hard slab it will take me a hour longer getting there and that is with no traffic..

I'm 45 mins from the interstate..

I would like to make it one year to see the ball drop but it won't be this year, you know that place is pack..

Wanna see a good light show come to Opryland only downside is parking, 20.00 to park and walk thru the lights nice and will take couple hours and YOU go at your pace..

I am in a timeshare in Gatlinburg as I write this. The local folk says it has been the busiest 2 weeks. Traffic in and around Gatlinburg is horrendous. The weather for me has been a pleasure and tonight we had enough snow for a mini snow ball fight. Very mini. I like it here .

Last Sunday the wife and I drove up to maggie valley and on to Cherokee.Not much goingon either place.took 441 across to Gatlingburg.Lite rain and snow mix all the way across.took forever to drive through Gatlingburg.took 321 to I-40 then home.Got home at 11pm and took the Porsche through the carwash to get all the salt and sand off.It may be a German car but it dont like SNOW

Wow Randy, you're making me "homesick" for some mountains. The wife and I love riding that area, either on the bike or on 4 wheels. Yes, that traffic from Seveirville to the Forge is killer most of the time, widening the road just added more cars I guess. There's another pretty neat ride down there to do on a bike, the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail in Gatlinburg. Coming in from Pigeon Forge, I think it's the 3rd light, take a left, go up the hill, then bear off to the right. It makes a one-way loop up over the mountain and comes back into 321 on the east side of Gatlinburg. You can also go farther east on 321 to Cosby, take a right on 32 and cross the Appalachian Trail, then over the mountain to either Waterville or Maggie Valley. The only bad thing about that ride is that it's gravel on the N.C. side, but the ride up 32 to the Trail rivals the Tail of the Dragon. I sent Freebird that way a few years back, and he loved it. There used to be a little country store at Waterville called Mountain Mama's that catered to hikers and horse riders, but it's closed down now. It was like a step back about 40 years, with several old cars and trucks sitting around. If you ordered a bologna sandwich they sliced it off the roll with a butcher knife, now that brought back memories.:backinmyday:

Haven't saw elk there, but I've seen them every time I've been on 441 between the Sugarlands and the Foothills Pkwy. My son and I, along with several cars, had stopped about 3 years ago to watch a couple of bulls with several cows in a pasture. Apparently the bulls didn't like an audience and started charging at us on-lookers. One other time the creek at the Sugarlands turn-off was full of elk splashing around on a hot day. There probably are a lot of people that make the Cades Cove loop that have never saw a deer up close, and you can get CLOSE to them there. A few years ago on a convertible trip we came up on traffic jam on the way back out. Apparently a bear with 2 cubs had crossed the road and people started bailing out to take pictures. The bears ran up a tree in the middle of a small field and were completely surrounded by tourists. Needless to say the park rangers frowned upon that.

We have been in Gatlinburg for new years several times and we love it. Couldn't work it out this year. Looks like the weather is going to be great this year with highs around 50. Looking at the web cams there does seem to be a lot of people this year. I am happy for anyone who is able to make it this year. Hope you enjoy the mountains as much as we do.

Bob

I am in a timeshare in Gatlinburg as I write this. The local folk says it has been the busiest 2 weeks. Traffic in and around Gatlinburg is horrendous. The weather for me has been a pleasure and tonight we had enough snow for a mini snow ball fight. Very mini. I like it here .

I just went on Gatlinburgtnlive and looked at a couple of webcams and I have to say that I am glad I am here on my couch.:whistling:

I guess I am getting old.:backinmyday:

RandyA

I just went on Gatlinburgtnlive and looked at a couple of webcams and I have to say that I am glad I am here on my couch.:whistling:

I guess I am getting old.:backinmyday:

RandyA

We were brave souls, walking many miles in the rain/sleet mix and did it again last night as well. We hit the mountain top, where the kids made snow angels and slipped on the ice. A good time had by all. Today was the longest trek back to Florida. I didn't wanna leave....:sign green with env

We were brave souls, walking many miles in the rain/sleet mix and did it again last night as well. We hit the mountain top, where the kids made snow angels and slipped on the ice. A good time had by all. Today was the longest trek back to Florida. I didn't wanna leave....:sign green with env

Barry, I hope you and your family have a good trip back to Florida. We need to do a trade out some time if you want to come back to this area. I am about 90 miles north east of Gatlinburg and you are on the west coast of Florida. I am wanting to make a trip down and go to the Keys.

RandyA

Wow Barry, it just registered with me, you're only about an hour from my son in Clermont. The wife and I are planning on coming down there in late February, maybe a meet up?? I can see where you'd have a hard time leaving the mountains, but you've got all those nice, STRAIGHT roads down there.(and warm weather)