IGNORED

Planning a ride to the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas

FuzzyRSTD

Anyone have any good ideas, or something in mind ? Myself and friend JD Holbrooks are looking forward to our Spring ride we are trying to plan. Coming from Morehead,KY South West toward Arkansas. We want to see the Ozark Mountains and Arkansas. Planning on a week to ride, leaving Saturday,May 18 to be back on Saturday,May 24. We usually take the hammer roads (interstates) until we reach the main destination, then back roads and enjoy the scenery for as long as possible. Wonder what the weather will be like during May in the mountains there ? :confused24: :backinmyday: :thumbsup2:

Looks like I-64 to Lexington then Bluegrass PK Way to I-65 to I-40 west then over into Arkansas ? I suppose that would be a good start to see the mountains ?

We never plan on to much,other than the first night stay and kinda go from there. If you have any links or roads and maps, please feel free to post or send them. I would appreciate any and all help.

Happy New Year,

Fuzzy :usa: :usa: :usa:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Like Randy said,,,

Harrison Arkansas. Try www.Harrisonarkansas.org .

I have in my hands (right now) a really cool map flyer they have at rest areas of 7 great rides.

Shortcut,,, http://harrisonarkansas.org./c_upe_view.php?id=34 go there!!!

There was a really cool restaurant on Hwy 7,,, Cliff House. http://www.cliffhouseinnar.com/ they have an inn (I ate there but stayed in Branson)

Also, Southwest MO from Branson west past Wheaton,,, where my dad grew up, has some great rollercoaster roads.

I'm used to the Smokeys rides. But Ozarks were different, not as high, but really cool twistie whoop-ti-doo roads.

Got to love it.

Mike G

You must go to Oark general store in Oark Arkansas. Great motorcycle stop and some good people to boot. It is between the pig trail and hwy 7. Both are great roads. Also, I understand that push mountain is a can't miss. Was there in '11, it was a really great trip! Enjoy!

Lots of great roads and things to see from Jasper over towards Eureka Springs and south to I- 40. I like the Jasper area over to Boxley Valley if your lucky you might see a Elk or two. There is always the pig trail on 23 but it's a short span of curvy roads then more open it's fun but there are better rides. From Clarksville over to 23 along the Mulberry river( Hwy 103 to 215 ) is a great ride that will put you on to Hwy 23. You can turn south there and stop at a little store that always has a bunch of bikes there. A little further south of that is the start of the Pig Trail with a nice sign for a pic. Jasper has a nice cafe there downtown always bikers there and great roads around there. A lot of the rides you can take you can make a loop so your not riding to a spot then turn around and go back the way you came. But if you have the time do the loops in opposite direction. A week won't be long enough to ride everything. If your going to ride the slabs my recommendation would be to take I-40 to Russellville and turn north on hwy 7 and start having fun. I will try and post you a link where you can send off for free ride maps.

http://www.harrisonarkansas.org/c_upe_view.php?id=34

http://www.arkansas.com/search/?q=lets+ride

Vincent

Edited by playboy

Also the weather should be nice temp wise can't promise anything about the wet stuff. Probably cool mornings and warm afternoons usually fairly humid but not to bad just don't wait to much later into the year. According to the papers The Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs has closed if you were interested in that.

Good roads all over NW Ar. Before you go north you might want to check out Petit Jean Mountain. Great Views and a great legend.

http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/history/history_of_petit_jean_mountain.aspx

It is just a little south of I40.

Also south of I40 is the highest point in AR,Mt Magazine.

http://www.mountmagazinestatepark.com/lodge-cabins-restaurant/lodge-at-mount-magazine.aspx

Hawksbill Crag is about 6 miles down gravel .

https://www.google.com/search?q=hawksbill+crag&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TGveUO3gGIj69gSvvYC4BA&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=475

At War Eagle Mill they make cookies from flour they mill themselves. Taste great too.

http://www.wareaglemill.com/

All the great roads are even better on something besides a cruiser. Of course when the weathers nice the roads are jammed with cruisers.

If you make it to Oark try the Buttermilk pie. As somebody already said the Ozark Cafe in Jasper is a good place to stop.

The NW Ar guys on Advrider.com are putting together some routes. Here is a link to what they have going.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847282

Edited by midnightventure

This is were I live. About 1 hour east of harrison which was memtioned before. I have lived here 7 years with about 40,000 of back road riding. M/H is in the middle between Little Rock and Springfield Mo. Most everything east of L/R is very flat. Between Memphis and l/r it is very flat BUT go northwest from Memphis and the roads get better.

take a very good look at google maps of this whole area and you will see very few main highways and NO expressways . When you look at main route numbers remember.... everyone from 18 wheelers to " grandma going to the store" will be using the same road.

Backroads...they are 35-40 mile an hour with great views and the roads are mostly in great conditiont. BUT are old and not very wide. If you take back roads expect to travel 35-40 miles in a hour. This is mostly farm country so expect tractors to be on the roads. If you are back roads GET GAS before need it. Alot of these small towns are gone. Nothing but a few houses and NO GAS.

If you fish... M/H was listed By Field and stream a few years ago as being one of the top ten in the country. 2 lakes and 2 rivers where listed.

There is a road about 7 miles from here that most bikers ride, it's called the "pigs Tail" The road is called push Mountain road right outside Norfork Ar. Route 341 south of Norfork.

I have a full work shop and a cycle trailer if you need help.

I am going to stop now because my coffe cup is empty. Anyone who reads this can contact for more information

Cb

Edited by cb1313

Fuzzy,

Awesome to hear you're gonna come enjoy our state! North, Northwest, and Southwest Arkansas provide some the of the best motorcycle roads in the country. Certainly you must experience, as stated above, Jasper, Ar, Hwy 7, The Pig Trail, Boxley Valley, Mt Magazine, which are all over in the NW part of our state, but, DO NOT overlook the northern middle section of our state. As stated by Cb above, this area has some of the best riding in the state, but for some reason doesn't get the fanfare that NW gets.

My wife and I have the exact bike you have and have rode all over our state. It's beautiful country over here. It doesn't have the altitudes that the Blue Ridge area that's close to where you're from has, but you'll find plenty of elevation changes, and numerous roller coaster and twisty roads to fit your fancy.

When I get some time, I will put you a suggested route together. Right now I'm dealing with us being in our 4th day of no power, and extensive damage to my property due to a christmas day winter storm that swept through our state that has left over 200K of us without power.

BTW, I hope your experiencing great performance out of your bike. Not only have my wife and I tracked thousands of mile around our state on ours, but, also 2 years ago we took a 2 weaker out to Tennessee, NC, and up through Lexington, Louisville, and back, as well as this year we did a 2 week 4000 mile ride out west to OK, TX, NM, CO, UT, AZ and back. The RSTD has performed flawless for us.

Talk to you soon,

Lynn

Wow, so much good information you all. I really appreciate every ones points to consider and attractions noted. Thanks for all the links. All this good information will take me a while to check out. Really,really appreciated.

I would start looking now, but had to work all night. Snow and ice removal. I still it snowing when I close my eyes. Thanks again everyone. I always can count on my VentureRider friends for help. You all are the very greatest.

I have to get some R&R now. Probably back in at midnight tonight. I am nodding off ads I try to type this. Good night or good day I quess. Thanks again to everyone. I am so blessed to have so many friends.

Fuzzy

May I join the chorus and welcome you to our wonderful state. You'll not only find great roads and scenery but friendly people. Well, okay, we also have some clunky drivers but so does every other state.

Plan on taking your time and seeing sights. Reserve Friday night for music on the square in Mountain View. Some of the great rides are in that area anyway.

Happy New Year

Lynn