I have been contemplating the acquisition of another 1st Gen, the last one I owned was an 83 Royale and I loved it however the notion of increased maintenance, reliability and the availability of spare parts has me in a quandary as the whether or not it would be wise acquisition.

I would like to know from those that own a 1st gen how hard are the parts to obtain now and what is the level of effort involved in keeping one in reliable riding condition?

Body parts are getting harder to find new, so good used ones are getting expensive.

Most other parts are readily available.

You'll likely have to do your own work. Not many shops will touch a bike that old, and even fewer will do it right.

I bought my '84 in '06. Replacement of parts was fairly easy to do with the long life span of the models and interchangability of common parts. Back then eBay was a great place for used parts. Much of my stock pile of parts was purchased for pennies on the dollar. Not so much anymore. Prices have jumped.

But for what I spent I've had 35,000 miles of pretty much trouble free riding. As long as I don't pile the bike up I don't expect to spend a lot more over the next few years.

I was talking to the owner of a local bike salvage yard that has been around since I was a teen. I asked what he had for Ventures. He just grinned and said he hadn't stripped a Venture in over 10 years. Nobody gets rid of them. They fix 'em and keep riding.

Mike

I have a great local shop that works on mine. So far the only issue has been an extra day wait for a brake pad to arrive. I've been collecting a few parts against future needs.

If you have a willing local mechanic, or your own shop and tools enough to do the mods/repairs described on this site, you can keep a 1st gen going quite a while. That includes things like the fuse block, the TCI, the starter, the stator and the ground cable.

If the CLASS system, or the electronic displays, go on the fritz, then you are on your own, except for the great help you can get here. An easy solder job on the CLASS controller kept me moving and stock. My dash display will be a bigger job that will take me more than an hour if that ever goes. I worry about that because all I have is a carport for my bike.

I'm willing and able to pay my mechanic to do the basic engine maintenance, the wheels, the suspension and the shaft. If I have an electrical mystery, or a major engine repair, my plan is to look at the cosmetic appearance of the bike and decide whether to spend the money.

If these weren't such great bikes it would be easier to give up. But they are great bikes. And for the price to buy a good one, I can nickle and dime myself for years of affordable fun.

And don't forget the seafoam. These carbs are prone to clogging. Since mine are clean and working I am fanatic about keeping them that way with seafoam. It is too big a job for me to do in a carport with no tools, and expensive to have my mechanic do it. He's already warned me what it will cost if he does it. So I bought a case of seafoam when it was on sale.

As has been said the used parts are getting expensive but there are still some good deals occasionally on e-bay. As far as reliability mine has been excellent. Sure there are some things that need attention like has been said but when push comes to shove I can have this bike torn down to fix it in a matter of minutes. Once we stopped for gas and I lifted the gas tank door and when I did one of the little screws holding on the hinge had backed itself out and fell into no-mans land under the cover. The wife had gone into the store to by something and when she came out minutes later I had the bike about stripped {side covers, seat, false tank cover} all to find that little screw. Long story short I found it put it back in place, put the bike back together and we were on our way in no time.There are numerous fixes I have performed on the road but none that has left us stranded, {Knock On wood} Yamaha did it right. Except the cassette player.:confused24::D

never had a problem finding on line parts for the 87 in the past two years other than a rear master cylinder. The cost of replacing some OEM parts has been prohibitive.

Recently picked up a decent 89 parts VR which has been a huge pay off. (rear master cylinder included :)) The idea was to restore it back to original condition as possible.

In hindsight, I would have picked up a parts VR from the getgo to offset costs.

It's a great bike and wouldn't consider any other at this time.

My first 1st was an '83VR with low 40's on the odo, and after tweaking it with the standard things one does to a new2me I rode it to Fort Collins Co in 2007, and then back via Idaho without even a hiccup. In 2009 I rode my new2me RSV with 47K up to Cody Wy. and had all sorts of electrical problems. Luckily on both break downs they happened around help. The first in a small town, and the second on the way back on a group ride over Bear Tooth Pass. Friesman rescued me on that one by riding the 16 miles back to town and getting a battery back up to me.

So on the reliabilty issue, I don't think age has anything to do with it, but more maintenence and upkeep. 1stGens just have more time to be neglected. Address the issues and any bike will serve you well..... :thumbsup2:

I guess the best bet would to buy one in good shape and a parts bike. I do all my wrench turning and if I have an issue I can always turn to you guys.

Don't forget about my '88. Joe. I love it.

I ain't but a few miles from you. I'll tell/show you everything I know about them.

Come on over for a close up look. You can take your time and look it over good, before you decide whether to buy one. I'd try to get an '86 and up.

And, I have an enclosed trailer, a shop, and a lift if you ever need to work on a bike.

I used to enjoy doing a lot more 'fellowship" type free work on bikes, but my (soon to be 3 years old) son, Simon, has slowed me down quite a bit these days. He can't ride outside of the neighborhood with me yet, but he's in the garage with me all of the time. He can already tell you the names of all of the bikes I have:lightbulb:.

Anyway, give me a shout if you wanna look at the VR.

Rusty

If you are looking for parts try this place.

I have ordered many things from them and they tell it like it is. Also show with a yellow pen in the picture if something is wrong with the part. I have uised them for parts on my 86 Yamaha trike and very happy.

Check them out

http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/Venture-1983-1993-/_i.html?_fsub=3669172014&_sid=12458664&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Hope this helps:080402gudl_prv:

Don't forget about my '88. Joe. I love it.

I ain't but a few miles from you. I'll tell/show you everything I know about them.

Come on over for a close up look. You can take your time and look it over good, before you decide whether to buy one. I'd try to get an '86 and up.

And, I have an enclosed trailer, a shop, and a lift if you ever need to work on a bike.

I used to enjoy doing a lot more 'fellowship" type free work on bikes, but my (soon to be 3 years old) son, Simon, has slowed me down quite a bit these days. He can't ride outside of the neighborhood with me yet, but he's in the garage with me all of the time. He can already tell you the names of all of the bikes I have:lightbulb:.

Anyway, give me a shout if you wanna look at the VR.

Rusty

He is 3 already? Boy time fly's I may take you up on your offer I am off all week.