IGNORED

Hannigan Steer-Lite, EZ-Steer, Rake Kit

First_N_Last

This is for all Hannigan Steer-Lite owners or anyone who may know the needed info...

My parts are on their way & should be received in less than a week.

I'm in the process of replacing the stock fork springs & 5 weight fork oil,

with 15 weight fork oil & Progressive Springs.

Does anyone have info on what the 4 fork clamp bolts on the Triple Tree should be torqued to?

Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I also plan on installing the forks so that the top fork cover is flush with the top of the Tree.

Front side flush - back side a little below to make it easy for maintenance checks.

My goal is to do this once & enjoy my very nice Venture-Hannigan Trike.

Thanks;

John

I think Bongobob is on track. I know Tri-Wing recomended 25ft lbs on the steeering head bearings. I don't know what Hannigan recomends with their set up but I'll be asking them when I get my trike done by them. Anyhow with my Tri-Wing set at 25ft lbs steering was good with very little wandering at low speeds.

Larry

I think Bongobob is on track. I know Tri-Wing recomended 25ft lbs on the steeering head bearings. I don't know what Hannigan recomends with their set up but I'll be asking them when I get my trike done by them. Anyhow with my Tri-Wing set at 25ft lbs steering was good with very little wandering at low speeds.

Larry

Larry, He's asking about the tube clamping bolts, not the neck bearing torque. Hannigan told me 38-45 pd/ft on the neck bearing, I never inquired about the fork tube clamp bolt torque.

According to what I see in the service manual, the upper pinch bolts torque to 7.2 ft.lbs and the lowers torque to 14 ft.lbs. Somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but that is what I see. I'm talking about the stock triple tree.

----------------------------

The Hannigan clamping is different from the stock. The bolts are bigger & less of them.

Stock uses four on each fork (2 upper & 2 lower)

Hannigan (at least my 2008 model) uses two on each side (1 upper & 1 lower).

I'll take photos latter for everybody's reference (comparing my 2008 stock to the Hannigan).

Thanks Freebird.

JohnnyB

At the very least I'll pull the bolts & try to get industry marks off of them & then possibly get some some specs to determine safe torquing. Hopefully... maybe...

.... unless someone knows & is yet to speak. I hope, hope, hope...

Otherwise, I'll I'll take a SWAG.

Any engineers out there?

If there are, I'm sure you know that a SWAG is a "Silly Wild Ass Guess".

Thanks;

JohnnyB

Yes, that is what I was thinking on, but after what Don posted for the stock tightness, that might be a tad high. Maybe more in the 15 - 20 ft lb range then. What would be more important is to make sure the fork tubes and ths i.d. of the clamps are free of any oil, dirt, etc. Cleaning with isoprophyl alcohol prior to assembly is a good idea...

Yes, that is what I was thinking on, but after what Don posted for the stock tightness, that might be a tad high. Maybe more in the 15 - 20 ft lb range then. What would be more important is to make sure the fork tubes and ths i.d. of the clamps are free of any oil, dirt, etc. Cleaning with isoprophyl alcohol prior to assembly is a good idea...

Thanks, I'll be sure to have them spotless before assembly.

Torquing will be planned for 18ftlb (middle).

Thanks

John

I'd email Jim anyway and ask. You have nothing to loose at this point, regardless of what has transpired to this point Im sure they would still want you on a safe bike .

Thanks...

John Hannigan has graciously contacted me & given the information for torquing the fork clamping bolts.

I've also added the Steering Head bolt/nut torquing (from other posts) to make this reference complete.

Here is the info for all to share & save for reference:

Hannigan Steer-Lite (Rake kit)

40 ft-lbs bottom Clamp Pinch-Bolts.

30 ft-lbs top Clamp Pinch-Bolts.

38-45 ft-lbs Steering Head

Service & support is what they continue to demonstrate.

JohnnyB

Thanks...

John Hannigan has graciously contacted me & given the information for torquing the fork clamping bolts.

I've also added the Steering Head bolt/nut torquing (from other posts) to make this reference complete.

Here is the info for all to share & save for reference:

Hannigan Steer-Lite (Rake kit)

40 ft-lbs bottom Clamp Pinch-Bolts.

30 ft-lbs top Clamp Pinch-Bolts.

38-45 ft-lbs Steering Head

Service & support is what they continue to demonstrate.

JohnnyB

So my first guess was pretty accurate after all! There may be a material difference between the stock Yammy part and the Hannigan part...