IGNORED

New starter clutch and kit installed NO FIX

Guest Ron Brown

Guest Ron Brown

Still same problem...1/2 turn and zing............. Still will not start.:confused24:

I replaced the sprag kit but not the idler gear. It has some wear barely to the touch.

FIXED!!! replaced the idler gear and does great now.

Edited by Ron Brown

What all did you replace, when you do a starter clutch you usually have to replace the housing where the sprag pins are as it is usually cracked and thats what causes it to skip. Whenever I have done them in the past I closely look at the 72 tooth gear and make sure it's near perfect. Look at the gear on the starter motor for the same, and replace the rest with new.

Get ahold of Dano in Indianapolis as he has sold an upgraded starter clutch kit that works great.

I replaced the starter clutch on three of my last four 1st Gens. Each time not only did I replace the clutch mechanism but also the 72 gear starter gear; part of which the pins on the starter clutch engage. Never had a problem with any of the bikes again. However, what I finally realized with all three starter clutches supposedly going bad was actually the result of high quality fully synthetic oil (Amsoil). My current 1st Gen has not had a start clutch problem but if I run Amsoil I notice that sometimes the starter clutch slips and does not engage. So, I drained the synthetic and replaced it with a high quality dino motorcycle oil and havent had a problem since. Just my 2 cents. Don't know if you have synthetic in yours or not but if you do and you haven't also replaced the large 72 starter gear, well.......

The engagement surface of the 72 tooth gear must be perfectly smooth, as soon as it starts to get any axial lines from the rollers of the clutch, it is toast and will not grab correctly.

I have Danos mod in mine and never an issue since.

The factory parts are about half the cost of Danos fix but the factory 3 roller setup is temporary at best. the Dano fix has 18 rollers.

Guest Ron Brown

The idler gear is not perfectly round. I plan on replacing it. Everything else is in good condition.

Thanks to everybody for the experienced input. Great forum.:)

The engagement surface of the 72 tooth gear must be perfectly smooth, as soon as it starts to get any axial lines from the rollers of the clutch, it is toast and will not grab correctly.

I have Danos mod in mine and never an issue since.

The factory parts are about half the cost of Danos fix but the factory 3 roller setup is temporary at best. the Dano fix has 18 rollers.

When i had problems with mine a few years ago. I was lucky enough to find a used parts guy that actually knew this.

If the ring the rollers grip is not perfectly smooth, the rollers will bounce on the ridges and loose their grip. = slipping starter clutch.