IGNORED

RSV newbie prep and packing question

Barrycuda

Hello everyone. I have spent some time reading older posts regarding what everyone brings on the road. Naturally, people bring or leave things depending on the type of trip ( weekend vs. week, solo vs. 2 up, weather etc ) . This leads me to asking you savvy riders this:

1- where and HOW are you putting all this stuff in ?? The RSV has the presence of a lot of room, but it seems like I may have thought it had more then it does. I mean after the wrenches, tire compressor, rain gear, misc stuff such as flashlights, screwdrivers, oil, etc. what room is left for food, water and clothes.

2- at some point I will be taking a 2 up over night journey and again, where and how am I putting up stuff including spouse ( she doesn't think it would be fun stuffing her in trunk ) the rest of the general packing list and clothes for 2. Maybe it's just me, but I do not throw away socks and shirts after a trip.

On the kawasaki , we use a T bag which fits behind the passenger backrest. This left both saddle bags for gear.

I am trying to figure out the best way to pack this bike, for longer trips ( to me it means 200+ miles) and overnights which was the reason I picked up the bike. ( sadly time and responsibilities with the little ones do not allow me longer journeys w the wife)

I learn so much from this sight, and many thanks to those that take the time to respond and reply both on the forum and through PM. I eagerly await your replies.... :whistling:

I usally ride two up on long trips and we can fit 5 days worth of clothes on the bike no issue along with my CPAP and other items you mentioned it just takes some practice.

Just make sure you keep everything balanced. Do not pack any heavy itmes on the luggage rack. I also have a tank bag for my camera, cell phones and other items I want to be able to get to quickly.

This year the wife and I decided we would start camping out instead of motel rooms so I bought a trailer now I have tons of room.

The wife and I can put 2 weeks worth of clothes and toiletries on ours. I use the saddlebags for 2 sets of rain gear, 2 leather coats, a tool bag, 1 spray can detailler and a towel, small set of jumper cables, 2 pairs of flip flops 2 pairs of sneakers and 2 pairs of chaps. In the trunk we carry all our blue jeans, a few waters and some snacks. We then have a trunk bag that goes on the luggage rack that we carry tee shirts, socks, underwear and our toiletries in. We are leaving on 1/16 for Florida and will be riding around the state for 2 weeks and we will have everything we need on the bike for the trip. If needed we will stop and wash up a couple of things

Barry, the wife and I took a week long trip to NC in Oct and fit everything on the bike. We did stay in a nice motel so that elminated stuff like hairdryer shampoos and soaps. But being it was cold we had to take heavier coats and chaps. Raingear in the left bag, coats and someother thing in the right heavy clothes like jeans etc in the trunk. And I used my T bag on the rack. The best little helper I found were the zip lock style storage bags. Think they are called space savor. Some say you need a vacume, not the ones I have. Put clothes in zip closed and roll to one end and it pushes air out. MArvolus and about $20 or so.

If it is for a couple days... I use one saddlebag for both our clothes (have a liner that fits to the contours - but don't overload it or the lid won't close properly), the other saddlebag for tools, cleaner for the wind screen, gloves, coat liners. The trunk is for things like water, cameras, laptop...

Longer trips where camping is involved we take the trailer (Harbor Freight Tag-along). Room for sleeping bags, tent, cooler, etc.

There ain't no single answer to this question! Everyone is different, and I actually mean wildly different!

True story: A couple of years ago my wife and I took a long weekend to go visit relatives in Blythewood, SC (we live in Rockwood, TN). It's about a 320 mile ride, and we would be gone for 3 nights...leave on Saturday morning returning onTuesday. The wife took 9 (nine) tops, 7 (seven) pants/skirts and 5 (five) pair of shoes. That does NOT count the outfit that she wore to ride over there!

This year we rode the Natchez Trace Parkway. She had pared her packing list down to a much more reasonable amount. She is getting much more adept at motorcycle travel and packing. She just has this idea that she needs....

What she is actually wearing.

What she will change into when she gets there

What she will change into if we go out shopping/sightseeing

What she will change into when we go out to eat

What she will change into when we get back from the restaurant

Apparently there are people out there who are keeping track of how long she wears something and reports that to the clothing police :yikes:.

.....The next day everything must be clean and not previously worn since laundry day.

Apparently she is made of dirt, dust and mud and therefore any article of clothing that touches her body, regardless of how long, becomes "filthy" and must not be put back on to her person :no-no-no:. Some (mostly women :whistling:) will say I'm an old meanie :crying:.

I love my wife and have since we met in 1962 but she just cannot seem to be able to go more than 6 hours without changing clothes :)

Except for pants, jackets and footwear, I usually take shirts, socks and underwear that need to be replaced. As they are worn on the trip, I throw them away. If for some reason I run out I'll stop along the way and purchase what is needed. I ride with the mind set that nobody knows me, so I'm not trying to impress anyone. If it won't fit in the RSV bags or in a soft bag on the rack, I really don't need it. For us it's about the ride, sights. If we are not staying in motels, I'll pull the trailer with the camping gear. Leather is good for extreme cold, but my rain suit is great for the cool mornings and afternoons. I always ride in long sleves. The most important things I carry are: extra key on a lanyard around my neck, first aid kit, few tools, flash light, rain suit, camera, water and a few powerbars. We have found traveling light was a trial and error experience. From the first over night trip to the longest trips anything that was not used was not carried again.

I like to keep things simple and most of the time lunch in after a gas stop, where we'll pick up a sub sandwich and cold drink and ride a few miles to a state park, a stream, lake along the way to stop and eat.

You will enjoy your trip planing, your trip. Most of all you'll find out what works for you and it will probably be less is best.

Upp's forgot to mention wife won't ride in dirty clothes so usually stop mid afternnon every other day to do laundry.

Shamue

Edited by Shamue
add

Most women just don't get the various shades of dirty clothes.

What we like to do is stop at a grocery store for fresh buns/cold cuts rather than carry with us. The cooler is usually for things like drinks, condiments.

Usually put things we will want quick access to in the trunk.

There ain't no single answer to this question! Everyone is different, and I actually mean wildly different!

True story: A couple of years ago my wife and I took a long weekend to go visit relatives in Blythewood, SC (we live in Rockwood, TN). It's about a 320 mile ride, and we would be gone for 3 nights...leave on Saturday morning returning onTuesday. The wife took 9 (nine) tops, 7 (seven) pants/skirts and 5 (five) pair of shoes. That does NOT count the outfit that she wore to ride over there!

This year we rode the Natchez Trace Parkway. She had pared her packing list down to a much more reasonable amount. She is getting much more adept at motorcycle travel and packing. She just has this idea that she needs....

Apparently there are people out there who are keeping track of how long she wears something and reports that to the clothing police :yikes:.

.....The next day everything must be clean and not previously worn since laundry day.

Apparently she is made of dirt, dust and mud and therefore any article of clothing that touches her body, regardless of how long, becomes "filthy" and must not be put back on to her person :no-no-no:. Some (mostly women :whistling:) will say I'm an old meanie :crying:.

I love my wife and have since we met in 1962 but she just cannot seem to be able to go more than 6 hours without changing clothes :)

Hey Alwrmcusn, are you married to my wife's twin???:confused24:

Hello everyone. I have spent some time reading older posts regarding what everyone brings on the road. Naturally, people bring or leave things depending on the type of trip ( weekend vs. week, solo vs. 2 up, weather etc ) . This leads me to asking you savvy riders this:

1- where and HOW are you putting all this stuff in ?? The RSV has the presence of a lot of room, but it seems like I may have thought it had more then it does. I mean after the wrenches, tire compressor, rain gear, misc stuff such as flashlights, screwdrivers, oil, etc. what room is left for food, water and clothes.

2- at some point I will be taking a 2 up over night journey and again, where and how am I putting up stuff including spouse ( she doesn't think it would be fun stuffing her in trunk ) the rest of the general packing list and clothes for 2. Maybe it's just me, but I do not throw away socks and shirts after a trip.

On the kawasaki , we use a T bag which fits behind the passenger backrest. This left both saddle bags for gear.

I am trying to figure out the best way to pack this bike, for longer trips ( to me it means 200+ miles) and overnights which was the reason I picked up the bike. ( sadly time and responsibilities with the little ones do not allow me longer journeys w the wife)

I learn so much from this sight, and many thanks to those that take the time to respond and reply both on the forum and through PM. I eagerly await your replies.... :whistling:

Hense one of the reasons I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet to get a Venture. My wife and I have been on a 2 week trip every year we've had our RSTD, and with the huge a#@ t-bag that I have, with the roll bag on top, and the bag I hang under the luggage rack, we can carry way more crap than what I could get on the Venture.

Having said that, I still see myself making the change, and then purchasing a trailer. My lovely bride loves motorcycling, but she has an equal desire to dress cute and nice, and shop while we're on the trip.

Guest tx2sturgis
Hense one of the reasons I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet to get a Venture. My wife and I have been on a 2 week trip every year we've had our RSTD, and with the huge a#@ t-bag that I have, with the roll bag on top, and the bag I hang under the luggage rack, we can carry way more crap than what I could get on the Venture.

You nailed it right there. A fully packed 'touring' bike with hard trunk will normally carry LESS than a bagger style bike, packed with a t-bag and other soft luggage, tent, bedrolls etc bungeed on the bike.

Its an ironic, cruel joke the universe plays on us riders.

Thats why you see WAAY more trailers being pulled by bikes with trunks than bikes without trunks.

Hey Barry, its not too late....go trailer shopping for Christmas!!

:D

I have the bag liners for my bike but never seem to use the side liners as tools seem to end up as low as possible in those bags, then, rain gear and chaps, etc. The top bag liner gets packed with what is needed for the trip rolled up and have lots of seal top bags to store worn clothing in to keep separate. if riding 2up i have a waterpoof rack bag for things like water, camera extra clothing etc.

On a long trip we do like to buy underwear and socks along the way and throw the dirty away,..... but if I am in the US and feeling like pi**ing off the customs guys i will make sure i get a bunch of particularly smelly and sweaty laundry and send it home just to make some guys day if they happen to open it to check it.........:fatsmiley:

Brian

Debbie and I embarked on a 15 day trip around Lake Superior in 2011 (2850 miles) with everything we needed on the 1990 and no trailer. We carried our personal effects, tent and bedding all within the bags and trunk. Only one thing was strapped on: the tent to the top of the trunk, though I also had a tank bag.

I simply stated to Deb that she had one saddlebag that was hers to pack as she desired. I got the other bag. The trunk contained "community" property; blankets, sheets, air mattresses, etc. We both had leather chaps and jackets as well as rain gear and gloves. We wore the chaps only one day, the rest of the trip they took up space. Two cameras, bug spray, maps, Pledge, windshield cloths, maps, travel guides, two phones, etc. She had enough room to buy a fair amount of stuff to bring home. We left nothing behind while on the road.

Here was MY packing list and "to do" list for the trip. I don't know what Deb took. (I didn't ask or question. If it fit in her saddlebag she could bring whatever she wanted or needed.)

We did not carry food or cook on this trip. We did use a small (six-pack) collapsible cooler for beverages at the campsites.

Edited by Prairiehammer

That was incredibly funny as well as enlightening. Thank you so much for your post.:301:

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and experiences regarding my question. I am taking my first overnight this weekend w the venture. Since its just me, wont be too bad. Headed to Hilton head, SC. Approx 350 miles each way.

I noticed some have saddlebag liners that's zip. Anyone suggest best place to get them ?

A lot of good advice here. Very similar stories. Just don't over pack where the bike is hard to handle. Don't over do it with tools either. Only take tools you know how to use and then for only what know how to fix. Pack heavy stuff low. If it don't fit in saddlebags or trunk it don't go. Remember - on a trip Walmart is your friend. I do use a trunk rack bag for the bike cover and our crocs and FroggToggs raingear. Crocs take up alot of room but are very light. I use them as slippers, beach shoes, around the hotel. Ridding boots are too heavy to just knock around in. Bag liners are almost a must and make everything so so much easier. Pack in them and just drop into the saddlebag or trunk. Grab the handle and walk into the hotel like soft luggage. I use the same previously stated example, I pack on one side (with the tools) and she gets the other side. The trunk is community, camera, netbook, jacket liners, extra gloves & faceshields. Make a list like the example pdf file. Good example noting what worked and what didn't and what you didn't use/need. The wife and I have traveled 2wks packing like this. Towards the end of the trip where we have worn the same cloths several times I keep reminding her that no one can smell her at 70mph!

You nailed it right there. A fully packed 'touring' bike with hard trunk will normally carry LESS than a bagger style bike, packed with a t-bag and other soft luggage, tent, bedrolls etc bungeed on the bike.

Its an ironic, cruel joke the universe plays on us riders.

Thats why you see WAAY more trailers being pulled by bikes with trunks than bikes without trunks.

Hey Barry, its not too late....go trailer shopping for Christmas!!

:D

I agree you can pack more with the soft type luggage set up.

You can also get a lot more top heavy quick.

Ditto on the trailer makes the bike handle so much better than with all that extra STUFF on top and you won't be nearly as tired after a long day of riding.

Can y'all chime in on what saddle bag liners you have. Meaning what company, model and if you are happy with them.

Barry,

Here's a couple on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Road-Star-Saddlebag-Liner-Bags-Sideliners-/140802318228?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c878df94&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SET-YAMAHA-ROADLINER-STRATOLINER-VENTURE-ROYAL-STAR-DELUXE-SADDLEBAG-LINERS-/160936160959?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25788aeebf&vxp=mtr

I have a set like the 2nd link and they work well. They weren't the Yamaha brand, I forget who made them, but I have had them for about 4 years now.