IGNORED

A few more "new RSV owner" questions?

Buck_Roy

Ok, so since I've fallen in love with my "new" 03 RSV, and because my family is asking about suggestions for Christmas gifts, I thought I'd ask a few more questions about my new baby, and hope that everybody here might have a few thoughts...

Tires: the bike has a set of Dunlop 404's on her, with less than 1000 miles on them. I've seen several threads here about how the 404's aren't really a "good" tire for the RSV, or that they might not even be safe for the RSV. Are they really that bad, or actually un-safe? It seems that the Dunlop E3 are pretty popular here, along with a model from Avon and even the Metzler 880's. I will definitely put something else on when it's time to change, but should I just get rid of the 404's now?

Windshield: my RSV came wearing a "cut down" stock shield, cut down to 8". While that could probably be a good thing around here in Texas in August, it's way too short for cooler weather and doesn't feel right at higher speeds. So a new shield is a must. What brand of shield do most folks run on their RSV? I've seen the "Baggershield" ads and looked at their site. (I've written to them with a few questions, and they have been very nice) It's a VERY interesting idea, I think I would love the 10" going to 16" shield. But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the "tinted lower section/ clear upper section" approach. I've never ridden a tinted shield before, and I'm not sure how I feel about the look of a "two tone" shield when riding with the shield extended up to full height. I think I wish they offered the option to have both sections clear, rather than one section tinted....

Speaking of windshields, do you guys prefer to "look over" or "look through" your shields? And if you use a taller shield, are the vents a good idea?

I'm looking forward to some longer runs and trips on my RSV, it's one of the reasons I bought her. But I haven't done that all that many longer rides before this bike, and I am always aware of being careful with the damn Texas heat. I'm coming from a Roadstar, it came with a shorter shield that I (barely) looked over, and that was great around town and ok on day trips. But I don't know what works best beyond that.

As we say out here....Please, and thank you in advance!!

:cool10:

don't know about 404's being unsafe but the do not last very long. e3's can last 20,000 miles or more i personally have over 19,000 on mine right now with some life left for early spring. as for shields i currently have a showchrome tinted model but like yours is a bit short for cooler weather. i have been looking at Clearview Shields for a replacement with a vent for warmer weather. i would also recommend looking over your shield because water just seems to sit on these bikes making it hard to see through them in the rain. i have also had some fogging issues in cooler weather which is why i went with a shorter shield in the first place.

Guest tx2sturgis

Buck, do you mostly ride with a helmet or without?

Reason I ask is, if you ride without a helmet, you will want the top of the windshield right about eye level, or maybe an inch lower, when sitting naturally. This allows you to see over the shield when needed, but also duck below it if needed. (eye protection should be worn day and night!)

If you ride mostly with a helmet this MIGHT cause buffeting, so either have the shield a bit higher, or about even with the bottom of your helmet. But this is all personal taste, there is no 'right' answer, and others might have differing views. If you end up buying a stock (or stock height) new one, it might be too tall....but its an easy half hour job to cut them down and make it a custom fit.

The current Dunlop 404's aren’t what I would call 'terrible'...but the best thing that happened to mine is the rear tire got an imbedded screw at about 4000 miles and then I went with a Dunlop Elite II, very ugly looking tire but thats all the dealer had when I got towed in, and then after I flattened that one, I have been using Dunlop E3's front and rear.

Some riders like the Avons, but I have had good luck and decent miles out of the Dunlop E3's. They are spendy but worth it. If you are strapped for cash this time of year, and wont be making any longer trips till spring time, the current rubber will get the job done for you.

Maybe it'll be time for a big loud smokey burnout of that back tire in a couple months? :cool10:

But either way I would buy that baby some new shoes come springtime when you expect some long days on the road and maybe even rain...hey we can hope cant we?

And you mentioned gift giving time...well lets see...how about you ask Santa for a 12 dollar bill for coffee money for Don? Join up, and pull up a chair. I've been here for 5 years and if they havent kicked ME out...you're SURE to have a home for a while.

Also you mentioned lighting in the other thread: Yeah the rear candle on these things is a joke.

Ask Santa for that neat little Custom Dynamics LED board that just fits under the stock tailight lens. What a HUGE difference it makes. Might even save yer bacon.

http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

I like the 32 bulb model...it is WAY brighter than the wimpy factory unit. I have not seen or used the 100 LED model, I can only assume its a super bright red beacon, which annoys the hell outta me on the highways at nite when someone has super bright LEDs...so its your call.

You live in an area where several members live, so you wont be in a vacuum for long. I live out here in flatsville, near Lubbock, and I'm lucky to see 3 of these bikes in an entire summer.

Enjoy and welcome to the group.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

You might want to look at the F4 windshield, they are high quality and VERY durable. In hot climates like yours I would recommend vents. F4 offers a discount to Venturerider MEMBERS (hint hint). For tires I too am a fan of the Dunlop Elete 3's as they wear like iron. Other good ideas for the bike is Kuryakin longhorn highway pegs, and depending on your arm length a set of Flanders handlebars to bring the handles back and out a tad. Several members have complained about back aches after riding for hours and changing the handlebars seems to cure this. Unfortunately you will also need longer throttle cables and hydraulic lines as well. You might also want to consider a decent driver backrest like the Utopia.

If you are looking for bling, Diamond R is one of my favorite places to shop. Once again membership has it's priveleges there as well!

OK I'm thru spending your money for now...

I agree the 404's aren't the best, but really not that bad. As long as the date code shows the age is resonable, and the tire looks good, I'ld suggest running this set until its time to change them. After that I run E-3's and like them, over 19k on last rear. Like others have said, Avons are also popular. I suggest you watch air pressures closely to get best mileage. As for windsheild I have a F-4 and like it. Height is total personal preference, but you can see through an F-4. Vents a plus in hot weather, but slight minus in rain as they let moisture go up the backside of the sheild. Another consideration is if you ride single or with a passenger. If someone is with you, taller sheilds help the one in back. You can also keep your existing sheild and change in summer if you like. Very easy to change on the RSV.

I also moved from the Roadie to the RSV. On long trips, your going to love the RSV.

Enjoy and ride safe..

I'd run your D404's till they wear out (rear about 3500) but keep in mind that on mine the d404 would wobble the rear end in a corner at speed. E3 solved that. Metzler are great new but tend to wear funny as they get mileage on them. Avons are my second choice.

Buck Roy welcome. I am a brand new owner of a 2003 RSV. Had the bike literally 2 weeks. Never had a yamaha before. I was a trial member and converted instantly to a supporting member even BEFORE I bought the bike. This is in part of members like freebird, tx2sturgis, M16A1MECH, and others who were very instrumental in me choosing to get the RIGHT bike based on their time and vast knowledge and the willingness to help me, and more importantly which ventures NOT to get. Ok....

That said. I currently have the stock windshield. It sits WAAY higher then I am used to and would like. I am more comfortable with looking over not through. Like the others mentioned, air, fog, moisture, night lights etc just make it harder for me. I do not feel comfortable. I checked my Vulcan. It's a Memphis shades with the top of shield just about nose level. It still protects from debris, but I can see clear. I have heard of F4, but also Steve K, has on his and mentioned clearview shields. They come with and without vents. They also have a slight discount on some Barely scratched shields...

The tires I currently have AVON venom X and some here on the forum like them. I have not nearly the experience to add my 2 cents except a times , especially in turns, they feel a bit squirrelly for me. The Vulcan has the Michelin commanders. Those tires have been awesome and tested with 2 up, full gear in at least 4 tropical storms ( little to no shelter on the backroads of Florida )

The avons are fairly new and will ride them out. Afterwards I will absolutely get the commander II. I just ordered a utopia backrest from one out beloved members and awaiting that, as well the custom dynamics LED taillight.

Sometimes you just have to order things one at a time in order of priority. Safety vs. comfort vs.style and bling. I wish like others, I had unlimited funds and time to ride. I am also not as vested (yet) as some of these guys, due to still having to be a family man. Good luck with your ride.

Run the 404's till they wear out. By then you will be familiar with the bike and ready for a more substantial tire. Look at BOTH the load and speed rating on what you'll need. I've run them all, I have Avons on now and prolly like them best but have had good results with 880's, E3's as well. A taller windshield offers more weather/wind protection for both you AND your passenger. I have a Clearview "standard/stock" height but wider windshield on now. You have to look thru it. Only downside is riding in the rain makes it harder to see but with practice you can learn to not focus on but to see thru the rain drops. On my smaller bikes I like to just look over the top of the windshield.

A note about setting the cruise control. It holds the set speed quicker if after you press the SET then press the RES. For some reason it locks it in.

You will get the household CFO's approval quicker if referring to bling as "safety chrome" after all she wants you to be safe.

If you plan to have her ride with you, her ridding gear should be every bit as good/warm/quality as yours.

You found the right forum. Everyone is more than willing to help. And someone (most likely several) have been there, done that, and go the T-shirt to prove it. Also, we love pictures of anything to do with your bike.

Thanks, everybody, for sharing your thoughts and advice!!

Can anyone who's got/used the Baggershield tell me any of their experiences? Does the "multi-position" system work out ok for you? Any thoughts on a windshield with a "tinted" lower section and the clear upper?

And yes, I am going to become a "real" member here, as soon as I get to my personal computer...I don't feel all that safe using my work PC for personal stuff, especially financial stuff!!

My husband is one of the few here that doesn't own and has never owned a Venture. We found the site while looking for his 1st bike and stayed after everyone helped us choose a 1st bike for him. He's hoping for that 1st Venture down the road a bit (next year maybe?) And I'm hoping for a burgman trike.

You will get the household CFO's approval quicker if referring to bling as "safety chrome" after all she wants you to be safe.

i agree i manage to make everything a safety add-on like my upcoming jet kit is so i can get up to safe speed before entering the highway

Hey, we are a metzeler tire dealer, and their new ME888 is going to be coming soon, just after the first of the year. We have allready seen them and they look great . You can't go wrong with the metzeler ME880's but you should wait a little while on the new ME888. Enjoy your new bike.

Buck, do you mostly ride with a helmet or without?

Reason I ask is, if you ride without a helmet, you will want the top of the windshield right about eye level, or maybe an inch lower, when sitting naturally. This allows you to see over the shield when needed, but also duck below it if needed. (eye protection should be worn day and night!)

But either way I would buy that baby some new shoes come springtime when you expect some long days on the road and maybe even rain...hey we can hope cant we?

Ask Santa for that neat little Custom Dynamics LED board that just fits under the stock tailight lens. What a HUGE difference it makes. Might even save yer bacon.

http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

You live in an area where several members live, so you wont be in a vacuum for long. I live out here in flatsville, near Lubbock, and I'm lucky to see 3 of these bikes in an entire summer.

--------------

Thanks goo sir, and I DO mean thanks! ;)

I ALWAYS ride with a skid-lid. Full face in cooler weather, 3/4 when it's warm/hot enough. That's something I'm trying to decide on while I'm shopping for a headset. I don't know if I want to buy 2 right away, and trying to decide which helmet to wire up.

I think I'm with you, a new set of tires come spring sounds like a great plan.

That LED light looks way cool! And I also hate the super bright LED's at night (those suckers can HURT!), so I'll need to keep that part in mind.

I've ridden to Lubbock before, on my Roadie. I bet that ride will be a LOT more fun on my RSV!!

;)))))

A great gift to ask Santa to bring would be a SpeedoHealer. The factory speedometer reads about 8% faster than your actual speed. Do a search on this site and you can find more info. Enjoy your new ride and Merry Christmas.:2TEAL:

I second the SpeedoHealer

For me, I got use to adjusting my speed to make up for the error. Then I would get in my autos & make the same adjustment - Oops!

SpeedoHealer for bike is cheaper the speeding ticket for car.

John

Tires: dunlop 404's good for about 10,000 miles, quite, good overall tire

dunlop e III good for 15,000-20,000 miles, noisy, good overall tire

Windshield: Baggershield take top off for below interstate speeds

Put it back on in cooler weather and +60 mph speeds to eliminate buffeting

I need to get the brake padss V7Goose suggested, but will need to look up linK

Edited by CaptainJoe
can't spell

RSV is terrible on hot days. Too much air protection. Made brackets to mount a Memphis Shades Slim (cut down further) on my RSTD just to keep the pressure off torso on the hyway. Come on spring!

Friend says it looks like a police or fireman shield. May have to re-shape a little more!

Howdy, Buck_Roy.

Just wanted to add one more thing. JerryT mentioned keeping an eye on the air pressure in your tires to get the most life from them. I totally agree but just want to add that you should be sure your gauge is correct also. I had a GoldWing riding buddy that had a lot of miles (15k-16k) on a set of E3's but still had plenty of tread. I noticed that they were scalloped and were wearing really odd. I asked if he kept an eye on his tire pressure; he did. I then asked what kind of gauge he used. He had bought a service station gauge/air chuck combo. I used my digital gauge (that I verified with a calibrated gauge) and found his gauge was (IIRC) 9 lbs low.

As far as the best tire... I'll just say do some research on Darkside tires and make up your own mind. :ignore: I had one on my last Venture, will have one on my next Venture and will have one on my Roadie when I wear the current tire out. 30k+ miles is the norm.

Guest tx2sturgis
RSV is terrible on hot days. Too much air protection.

Try spending an entire day riding through 100-110 degrees on an HD ElectraGlide Ultra Classic.

They will cook you!

The Venture is almost like riding in AC comfort by comparison.

On the other hand, the HD UltraClassic is a bit warmer in the winter.

Hey, Buck.

I also graduated from a Roadie to the RSV. What a dream. Still keep the Roadie for short solo hops, but anything over a couple hours calls for luxury! My partner, Susan won't even get on the old bike any more.

Speaking of the back seat passenger, I installed the F4 Customs tallest/widest shield, and it cut back considerably on the buffeting around Susan's head.We both wear full helmets every time we mount up. And by the way, I look through the shield 100%of the time now.

We live in Tucson, so the Goldwing vent option was a must, and works great.

No advice about tires yet, as I am still in the process of wearing out the factory 404s.

I did however install the 100 LED custom dynamics tail light (on both bikes) and love it. Also put up an auxiliary light bar on the RSV and have been told we are VERY visible from behind now.

Happy Trails.

Bert

Edited by DarkLeftArm
missed some things.

Try spending an entire day riding through 100-110 degrees on an HD ElectraGlide Ultra Classic.

They will cook you!

Yea Brian but cha gotta admit, that fried right thigh (sounds like chinese cookin) is worth every bit of discomfort just to hear that potata, potata, potata sound while that great sense of freedom is rolling over your emotions as all the worlds problems just evaporate in the heat..:cool10:

Windshield height: I have always cut and contoured my shields to my own standards.. This is what do: get by myself on a stretch of road where I can concentrate on what I am doing. While going 40 or so, take my hand and feel above my head for the air flow change coming off the windsheild while sitting in my "sweet spot" position (I have found that for me - sitting leaned back, feet forward, knees up and arms resting on my knees I can ride for HOURS - thats my natural postion and thats what I adjust my shield to). I get this airflow right above my head, on an uncut shield I have found the flow everywhere from 6 to 12 inches.. I then cut the windshield down to the point that the airflow is just above my head, by no more than an inch. I have found that this ends up giving me a good 6 inches of view above my shield.. Tell you what, you would be shocked at how, at speed, that airflow carries everything from rain to bugs with it AND all the roadglare, bug covered shield and other distractions associated with looking thru that shield is a thing of the past. The ONLY problem associated with what I do that I have experienced comes in the area of tossing on a passenger, they have NO coverage when you do this and are riding open air.. I keep two shields for this purpose - my cut single shield and one I have done the same thing with from the top of the wifes head..

I too have put a lot of miles on both Elite 2's and 3's. I personally liked the 2's better but I also have had really good results with the 404's and actually prefer them over the 3's. Stay away from Shinkos!! I have a buddy who runs a dual compound on his Ultra Limited and he is sold on the idea of a hard center tread for longgggg life.. He only rides a couple thousand a year (wienie) and his bike is only 2 years old so I am not completely sold on that approach yet.. Maybe others here do?

Hope this helps

Scott

I bought my '04 Midnight RSV in May of 2011. Previous owner said tires had about 2000 miles on them and they are D404 WW's. The bike was dressed out with chrome to the hilt and the WW's look great on it. I've put 13,000+ miles on it since I've owned it, so the tires have 15,000+ miles on them. Need new tires next spring,but will probably get the 404's again as they are about the only WW's offered for our bikes.

As for the windshield, I cut 4" off the original and look over the top. It is perfect for me. It is about nose high, if you run your finger back from the top of windshield. This was the same as my previous V-star 1100 Silverado stock shield. I cut it down because of rain and fog problems and this eliminates most of that. Plus, I always ride with a helmet usually full face.

Ok, so since I've fallen in love with my "new" 03 RSV, and because my family is asking about suggestions for Christmas gifts, I thought I'd ask a few more questions about my new baby, and hope that everybody here might have a few thoughts...

Tires: the bike has a set of Dunlop 404's on her, with less than 1000 miles on them. I've seen several threads here about how the 404's aren't really a "good" tire for the RSV, or that they might not even be safe for the RSV. Are they really that bad, or actually un-safe? It seems that the Dunlop E3 are pretty popular here, along with a model from Avon and even the Metzler 880's. I will definitely put something else on when it's time to change, but should I just get rid of the 404's now?

Windshield: my RSV came wearing a "cut down" stock shield, cut down to 8". While that could probably be a good thing around here in Texas in August, it's way too short for cooler weather and doesn't feel right at higher speeds. So a new shield is a must. What brand of shield do most folks run on their RSV? I've seen the "Baggershield" ads and looked at their site. (I've written to them with a few questions, and they have been very nice) It's a VERY interesting idea, I think I would love the 10" going to 16" shield. But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the "tinted lower section/ clear upper section" approach. I've never ridden a tinted shield before, and I'm not sure how I feel about the look of a "two tone" shield when riding with the shield extended up to full height. I think I wish they offered the option to have both sections clear, rather than one section tinted....

Speaking of windshields, do you guys prefer to "look over" or "look through" your shields? And if you use a taller shield, are the vents a good idea?

I'm looking forward to some longer runs and trips on my RSV, it's one of the reasons I bought her. But I haven't done that all that many longer rides before this bike, and I am always aware of being careful with the damn Texas heat. I'm coming from a Roadstar, it came with a shorter shield that I (barely) looked over, and that was great around town and ok on day trips. But I don't know what works best beyond that.

As we say out here....Please, and thank you in advance!!

Just noticed your concern with the bagger shield being tinted on the lower portion.

The overwhelming view? is that one must look far enough ahead to make sure the bike will go were your looking. The area below the top of the tinted area is basically what your going to roll over. If that's confusing, you probably need to watch a Ride like a Pro video...