IGNORED

Need A Little Help

OK, I was going about the task of changing the clutch slave. Problem I am facing is taking the crankcase cover off. It looks like a bunch of gears are going to fall out with it, along with the case itself being very stubborn. Anyone in the Vegas area familiar with taking these covers off without destroying everything?

Yes that cover is hard to pull off.

First be absolutely certain that you have all of the bolts out and not just loosened.

You also have to remove the middle gear cover before the crankcase cover will come off.

Once you have done this and the cover is loose, it takes a pretty strong pull to get it off.

It is being held on by the very strong magnets in the flywheel grabbing on to the stator.

There are 3 gears that may stay with the engine or come out with the cover, their choice not yours. It is no big deal to put them back in. Once you have it apart it is obvious where the gears go back in. Just put them into the holes in the side of the engine for reassembly.

You must use a gasket to get the proper gear clearance, I you try to use just a sealant the gears will bind.

Now I'm fairly confident that I didn't have to remove the stator cover, just the middle gear cover. I changed out the one on my '86 and I think the only thing I pulled off was the mid gear cover. Now some CRS might be slipping in here, but I remember having to do a triple sow cow with it to remove it, but it wasn't a huge deal. Try the mid cover 1st and see if you can't slip it out like that...or you could come to north of Houston and I'll help you change it, feed you and give you a comfortable bed to sleep in...

:2cents:

Thanks Fly and Squid. I just didn't want a bunch of misc. gears and stuff jumping out at me. I wasn't sure I'd get them back in correctly. I'd take you up on it, Squid, but it's a fair run from Vegas to Cleveland. I used to be in Dallas. Plus, I have no clutch to speak of right now.

Now I'm fairly confident that I didn't have to remove the stator cover, just the middle gear cover. I changed out the one on my '86 and I think the only thing I pulled off was the mid gear cover. Now some CRS might be slipping in here, but I remember having to do a triple sow cow with it to remove it, but it wasn't a huge deal. Try the mid cover 1st and see if you can't slip it out like that...or you could come to north of Houston and I'll help you change it, feed you and give you a comfortable bed to sleep in...

:2cents:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

PS: I might also add that the trick to removing and extracting the slave is to use an 1/4"x#25 allen head socket and a longer extensioon for the two hex bolts, and to get the slave out rotate it upside down as you pull it out. This allows the dog ear on the slave to get past the shift linkage. Reverse it to put the new one in.

Edited by Condor