IGNORED

RSV stock handlebar riser question

Any one know if the handlebar riser on a 2nd gen is a one piece or two piece item?

I do not see any appearance of it being a stud threaded into the upper body, if it is it has to be countersunk

I need to either turn down the stud on the riser or drill out the hole on the 1st gen triple trees I am using on the Hybrid project in order to get the 2nd gen bars on the 1st gen triple tree. Only about 0.030" difference, but it is a non-standard hole size in the 2nd gen triple tree, 0.550".

There is enough shaft size that it could be turned down to fit and not get into the threads on shaft.

A 9/16 (0.562) drill will work to open up triple tree if I put some shim stock I have around riser shaft.

Gary

What is in the 1st two pictures is the part in question. This came off a stock 2003 RSV. Stock insofar as I am aware, my 2nd gen experience is very limited.

What I am unsure of is if the stud threads into the upper body or was part of the same casting & then machined.

If it is a separate stud, and can be removed from upper body, then I can put it in a lathe and turn it down the small amount needed. If it is not a stud, then I need to drill out the 1st gen triple trees I am using.

I would rather put it in a lathe, I can be more accurate with that option.

Gary

Gary

Have you tried to unscrew the stem?

To me it looks like one solid piece that is machined from billet, but is best guess.

If you can not get a firm answer from anyone and you can afford the time in your project, send them to me and I will x-ray them at work and find out if it one piece construction or two pieces screwed together.

Ahhh The riser sits down into a rubber bushing type deal, that would fit around the part of the riser you have there I belive. I can go and look over on the Kawasaki site and some guys have made risers simular to what I think your talking about. The risers on like my 900 was the "u" piece and then a stud threaded into it. They would make spacers out of like a 1/2" deep crafstman socket and change the stud. This is sort of what they look like.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HANDLE-BAR-RISER-4-INCHES-VL800-01-04-4-4IN-AFTER-MARKET-1-BARS-02-03-05-06-07-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqJ,!i!FCuqFeybcBQry(ecosw~~60_1.JPG

After Steve mentioned getting an X-ray for it, it occured to me I have that ability at work.

It appears the upper body is cast around the stud which has a head on part inbedded in the top end.

Xray attached. view is with head to top, handlebar cutout almost center top. Stud is dark object in center.

Gary

Gary

What type of X-ray unit do you have at work?

We have a custom built Northstar cabinet, we can do digital radiography and Computer Tomography, were we can creat a 3D image of a part.

Like this http://www.xviewct.com/industrial-ct-video/rolex-video

This is just an old industrial xray that is on its last legs, have to check tomorrow to see what it is. I'm not qualified on it, so I recruited co-worker that is to take picture.

It is functional to a point, but some of the mechanical manipulators in the chamber are inoperative. Only took about 10 minutes including startup to get picture I have. Its a digital image, not on Xray film like medical quality.

We have an extremely high res 3D CT scanner paper work going through to replace it. It can tell the difference between gold and silver on a circuit board based on atomic structure. It will be able to scan an inanimate object and output a point cloud that I can import into 3D CAD software and make very accurate comparisons between a real part & one I created in CAD to verify production tolerances. It can take a video of a scan through a multi layer circuit board at astonishing resolution.

We make the controls that are in water heaters, the thermal cutouts that are in coffee pots, hair dryers and a lot of other small appliances, so accurate production and ability to verify it is crucial.

Gary