IGNORED

Buckeye HO upgraded stator

This is somewhat of a specific geographical question, so bear with me. Has anyone that lives down south in the constant hotter climates, installed a Buckeye stator and had problems with it failing?

The reason I ask this, is that I purchased a stator and installed it with a new R/R and it appears that the stator has failed due to it running hot because of the wire size it was wound with. Have any of you installed the Buckeye and ran into this problem? I dont want to have to do this again, and I dont mind paying for quality.

How happy have y'all been with the performance you have received from the upgraded Buckeye stator?

• 3 weeks later...

This is somewhat of a specific geographical question, so bear with me. Has anyone that lives down south in the constant hotter climates, installed a Buckeye stator and had problems with it failing?

The reason I ask this, is that I purchased a stator and installed it with a new R/R and it appears that the stator has failed due to it running hot because of the wire size it was wound with. Have any of you installed the Buckeye and ran into this problem? I dont want to have to do this again, and I dont mind paying for quality.

How happy have y'all been with the performance you have received from the upgraded Buckeye stator?

Squidley,

I'm glad you have asked this question. I am on the verge of purchasing and installing one to boost the power to run mine and my wifes heated gear. I never thought about when it gets hot down here in the south. And as those of us from the south can attest, it gets FREAKIN hot down here. LOL.

I hope someone answers that has experienced this.

All 1st editions have a 28 amp system and even the Buckeye HO stator does not increase the amp output. Brad, good luck with running heated gear on a lst edition. I've tried warming gear on three different lst editions; one with the so called HO stator. With the jacket drawing approximate 8.5 amps, gloves 2.5 amps, you can tie it it but you won't keep it tied in for very long. My old HD, had a 45 amp system I believe and I even burned up a stator on it running a full compliment of one set of warming gear; jacket liner, pants, gloves and socks (total about 18 - 19 amps at 12v dc). My FJR seems to hold it well but it has a more modernized 48 amp output.

I have a '06 second gen that I run passing lamps, heated grips and a heated vest, stereo, cruise, all at once, and it supports all those fine. I have a Kuryakyn gauge that tells me the moment it's dicharging, best 30.00 I've spent. Ron

Thanks for the input fellas, I am actually going to try the "HO" stator from Ricks Motorsports in NH. I haven't tried it yet and it doesn't sound like many here have either. It would be nice for me to add some real world experience with it. I am going with a complete "system" new HO stator and their matching Regulator/Rectifier.

I should have it installed in a couple of weeks and I'll let y'all know what my initial thoughts are once I get a few hundred miles on it :thumbsup2:

• 4 months later...

I have a Ricks Hot Shot stator and like it a lot, The biggest change is 13.5 volts and charging at idle. but you MUST have the stator cooking kit from yamaha installed in order for it to last.

do you also have an upgraded R&R? because I dont trust the stock one to do anything but burn up stators.

Guest Swifty

do you also have an upgraded R&R? because I dont trust the stock one to do anything but burn up stators.

Do you have any thoughts on why other people trust them? Is your comment based on personal experience or some numbers?

@ Squidley...did you put that stator on yet?

Vince,

I had some issues with the 1st Ricks stator I installed, it grounded out to my case and I sent it back to have the issue corrected. They also sent me the wrong R/R, but have gotten that strait now. I haven't had the time here lately to reinstall the new "HO" Ricks stator or Hot Shot as they call it.

I am hopeful that it will go together smooth and not give me any issues. Mine is an '86, so it had the cooling set up on it from the factory, the '83 and some of the '84's I believe needed to have an upgrade from the factory as they didn't have it. I am going to ever so slightly drill the oil hole out just slightly bigger to get more oil to pass over the stator and hopefully keep it cooler. I might also try a bit lighter weight oil to hopefully dissipate some of the heat as that is what kills the stators. As soon as I can give a real world opinion I'll get back here and do so.

Do you have any thoughts on why other people trust them? Is your comment based on personal experience or some numbers?

Yes, look here for the threads on the Upgraded R&R for others that experienced the same thing I have with the upgrade... The stock one pulls maximum amps from the stator at all times, causing the stator to run very hot all the time as well as the wiring and the connector. The upgrade will only pull a load on the stator when needed, this makes the stator run a lot cooler and last the life of the bike (if you dont ride with 500 watts of driving lights, heated vest, heated gloves, heated grips, heated seat, coffee maker, Heated blanket for the wife, etc...)

My stator wires went from hot enough to burn your hands to slightly warm after only swapping out the R&R to the one from the FJR1300. I then upgraded to the hotshot stator and now I charge at full voltage at idle of 700 rpm, the wires are still only slightly warm after a long ride.

Yes, look here for the threads on the Upgraded R&R for others that experienced the same thing I have with the upgrade... The stock one pulls maximum amps from the stator at all times, causing the stator to run very hot all the time as well as the wiring and the connector. The upgrade will only pull a load on the stator when needed, this makes the stator run a lot cooler and last the life of the bike (if you dont ride with 500 watts of driving lights, heated vest, heated gloves, heated grips, heated seat, coffee maker, Heated blanket for the wife, etc...)

It sounds like changing the R/R is a must, and the OEM may actually be causing the overheating and eventual failure.

• 2 months later...

I dug this thread back up as today I finally said I am going to get this '86 back together. I did just that, but with sorry results. I can say, that right now, I will not recommend a Ricks Hot Shot stator to you folks here.

I sent the old one back, the one that grounded out to the case and didn't work properly. I will say this for Ricks, they gave me zero issues with sending it back. Unfortunately they did not fix the issue as I received the same stator back with them stating that they fixed it....their fix didnt work. Like a dumb arse I didn't bother to check the leads before I reinstalled the cover and all. Got it all hooked up, new battery installed and connected and fired it up....nothing, the same grounding issue as the last time. I was not happy and made Italians proud of some of the curse words I used.

I have an '85 parts bike here and pulled the side cover off it after I checked to be sure that it's stator wasn't grounded to the case, it wasn't, so I installed it on the '86 and guess what...it pushed out 13.6 volts. This is a bike (the '85) that has been sitting for god knows how many years and it's on my '86 now charging it.

I am done with Ricks Motorsports, I dont know if it was a lack of communication on my behalf, or they had someone say that it was fixed and didn't know what they were doing, but I can't afford these kinds of mistakes. I also received the wrong R/R the 1st time and they did end up sending me the right one when they sent the stator back to me. I am more than likely going to get with Rick H at Buckeye and see about getting one of his stators. I have installed them before and the one thing I didn't like was the wires coming through the case block were too small and they leaked on 2 of the bikes I installed them on. I'll be sure to remedy that before I install it on the bike.

So there you have it, I want to let y'all know to use Ricks Motorsport at your own risk. I wont recommend them as there have been too many issues with myself and I just have lost faith in them and their ability to get this right....:2cents:

I believe I found the culprit in this whole fiasco. One of the phase leads seems to have a small ball of solder at it's connection point. It has pushed through the casing and is sticking out for all the world to see. Once I push it on the case completely, it makes contact and thus giving me all the issues. I'm still sending it back, and unless they absolutely wont give me a refund, I'll still go with a buckeye. Here is a pic that I took of the problem child...