IGNORED

Grip & Highway Peg Question?

To start off. What size is the bar on a stock 85 Venture? The grips need changing. I have the stock style rubber ons on right now but was thinking of going to foam. I always ride with gloves. Insight? What works best, and bang for the buck?

I was looking at highway pegs on ebay. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Heavy-Duty-Universal-Yamaha-Chrome-Gold-Inlay-Highway-Pegs-Footpegs-1-1-1-4-/271114329183?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1fac5c5f&vxp=mtr They look really cool. Anyone have experience good or bad? Of course the price is right.

Thanks

Brad

The grips are 7/8". You also have to be concerned with the length, which I don't know off hand but you can measure your current grips.

I had put foam grips on my 89. While they were ok, the foam wore and tore after a couple years. The wear was from pushing the motorcycle, not riding. If you don't have to push around the garage much they might last longer.

I replace the foam grips with the Kuryakyn ISO grip (size for GoldWing). The large diameter is super comfortable, they look great and seem quite durable. This would be my recommendation.

I don't like that style of on the pegs you linked. The steps in the cones will damage the chrome.

I've got a set of Kuryakyn pegs with the buckhorn mount. The mount lets me have them down and forward of where a straight mount would sit. Way more $$ than the set you're considering.

I got rid of those pegs, gave them away to somebody who didn't have any, and got the offset ones,,,, sure do make a difference and worth the extra bucks, for me about $150.

The foam grips are ok, last a couple of years and soak up water,, takes a while to dry out and the gloves get wet as well.

I replace the foam grips with the Kuryakyn ISO grip (size for GoldWing). The large diameter is super comfortable, they look great and seem quite durable. This would be my recommendation.

On Kury's site, just get the ones for the GoldWing, or the ones stated for the Royal Star and Venture model?

The grips I used are the Kuryakyn ISO GRIP model 6180. Listed as fitting all '75 and up Gold Wing models.

The instructions will tell you to orient the grip so the pads face your palm when in riding position. They also say to consider where the throttle position will be for the right grip. On mine the right grip is rotated about 15deg or so toward the closed position which seems to aim it toward my palm at about 1/4 throttle. Worked out quite well.