IGNORED

Getting an Air Horn - - NOW!

Bobby G

After our near-death experience last night while driving home in the Silverado 4X4, there will be no more feet-dragging on getting a very loud air horn installed on the RSV.

As we rounded a country road curve heading toward our subdivision at about 6:30pm, a small white car came screaming at us at what had to be 55+ mph in a 35 zone, heading right at us - in our lane! How we avoided the head-on collision is a miracle, but it involved some intuitive accident-avoidance techniques and a damn loud horn. That little car and the idiot driving (who I'm guessing was on their phone) just missed us, ran off the road back on their side, found their way back on to the blacktop and disappeared in the darkness. My wife and I just sat there and couldn't believe what had just happened. I have to admit that I've been in some close calls before, but that one really shook me up.

I've been meaning to install the Stebel air horn for some time now, but never got the bracket to get the job done. That will be rectified this weekend! There are just too many cell phone addicts out there who can't stop texting or Tweeting while driving, and it's gotten too dangerous to not do everything possible to get their attention when they cross the line. My riding and driving skills are good, but they aren't enough sometimes, and my wimpy-a$$ horn is just useless in that regard.

Be safe out there, and if you don't have a very loud ear piercing horn on your bike, you need to get one.

Glad you missed them. :)

YES, you need the Stebel/Wolo horn on the bike.

It has saved me in Dallas Interstate traffic more than 3 times.

Guaranteed to make Soccer Mommie in the SUV to drop her phone from fright!

(ask me how I know. Insert evil smile here)

Also let me say this: I put the lighted Rivco mirrors on the MC over 2 years ago.

Since then, I have reduced to almost no issues with people "not seeing me" and encroaching on my lane.

I am a firm believer in 'Lighting Up' that motorcycle to be seen.

Where can I get one of those air horns? I wanna see Florida drivers drop their phones and beer. Also how is the install on those lighted mirrors. Lastly, do those Rico mirrors have a part number and are they large enough to function well. ( I like big a$$ mirrors)

:thumbsup:

They are AWSOME. I have 2 mounted on mine now. One is a real live stebel the other is a knock off from evil-bay. @ $23 its best price I have seen on this type of horn in a long time.(do not see a chrome one available) You need to make sure you wire it up with a relay and power from battery. Also after just adding my second to the right side (first is mounted up front by left foot) need to remember the horn is actually operated sort of backwards. The button makes the ground if I'm not mistaken. So power wire is hot all the time.

Enough can not be said for a loud horn on a bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72811

Amen there brother. That's why I have two Stebels and a set of Revco trumpets and a set of FIAMM electric horns under the front cowling. LOUD it defiantly is. When I hit my horne they drop the phone and load there pants.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Bobbie, this a very good and timely post. With winter upon us and many looking for a good winter project, this is a good time for those who have not installed a loud horn to get it done. And think, for those out there that just can not think of anything to get their spouse or friend, be it driver or passenger, a loud horn would be a great gift.

I really do feel that my air horns have saved my life on more than one occasion in incidents I could not have avoided otherwise.

RandyA

Here is a link to the stebel horns.

http://www.hornsplusauto.com/

Greg, I think he has the horn, he doesn't have this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/RoundTuit.jpg

But, your link looks good. Many Stebel links say the factory is down or item unavailable. So, anyone ordering needs to call to check stock first.

I have the Stebel brand, the WOLO is a China copy.

I have had the chrome Wolo for couple of years and its plenty loud..

Not sure there is much difference from the Stebel except it is available and comes in chrome.. and I guess it is a China knockoff.. never really thought about it.

I ordered off of HF (should have been the clue eh) but also see them in auto stores around here (although typically black only)

Definitely recommend either over stock horn.

Wire it with a relay.. plenty of discussion and instructions for that on this forum.

Looks like the Wolo Chrome version is all chrome where the Stebel has only some chrome parts .. of course much of it is plastic chrome but it has held up..

I just bought a chrome Wolo horn recently. The reason I got it over he Stebel was I couldn't find a chrome Stebel horn anywhere. So took a chance on the Wolo version. I haven't mounted it yet but it should be on by the weekend. I'm going to make an updated version of my bracket to use the Wolo horns. Current brackets require a spacer like those that were provided with the Stebel horns. The updated bracket will locate the horn in the normal position but won't need a spacer. Stay tuned.

Larry

I just bought a chrome Wolo horn recently. The reason I got it over he Stebel was I couldn't find a chrome Stebel horn anywhere. So took a chance on the Wolo version. I haven't mounted it yet but it should be on by the weekend. I'm going to make an updated version of my bracket to use the Wolo horns. Current brackets require a spacer like those that were provided with the Stebel horns. The updated bracket will locate the horn in the normal position but won't need a spacer. Stay tuned.

Larry

NICE... yes I bought your bracket but had to rig my own spacer .. not as pretty but works