IGNORED

installing trike kit

Hummingbird

Ok - everybody knows that I'm not going to do an install, but I do have a couple questions regarding an install. I am considering buying another Venture and getting it triked, probably a Hannigan since there are only 2 kits available.

#1 - How does mileage on the bike affect the kit ? ie; wear on parts not replaced by the kit.

#2 - Is the infamous rear shock gone with trike install ?

Dick to answer your questions using my experince with my 05 Tri-Wing conversion with just over 35k out of a total off 55k being on two wheels here's my thoughts on this.

#1 - How does mileage on the bike affect the kit ? ie; wear on parts not replaced by the kit. The only known extra wear I saw was the clutch slipping shortly after the bike being triked. It only happened if hitting the throttle hard in either 4 or 5th gear. An example would be accelerating on a freeway ramp. I attributed that to the extra 400 lbs the engine had to lug around. I put in a PCW clutch upgrade kit in it and never had another problem with slipping clutches again, even trailer towing in mountains. The 09 I have now will be triked in February using Hannigan's conversion. This bike has just under 10k on the clock but I'm taking a preventive route here and will put in Sky Doc's clutch upgrade kit before the conversion is done.

#2 - Is the infamous rear shock gone with trike install ? With Hannigan's conversion the rear shock is eliminated because they use a dual coil over shock system on their independent axle set up. Tri-Wing used a solid axle with a pair of airbags on the axle and still used the OEM shock for the swing arm.

Hope this enlightened you. If you or anyone else thinks of other questions just ask away. I'm sure you'll have others chiming in besides me on info regarding these bikes being triked. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Yah Dick, what Larry said! The only issue will be the clutch but replacing with the Heavy Duty clutch and either the PCW or Barnett conversion pressure plate will fix that! You may want to consider installing new progressive or sonic springs in the front to stiffen up the suspension as this helps out with wobble, which is a charactoristic of any trike. Lastly, when it comes time to replace your front tire, which WILL happen as they wear very fast, install a rear dunlop E3 in the proper front size and mount backwards, it will more than double your front tire life. Also, spend the extra for the EZ steer, it makes steering effort waaaaay better.

Your MPG will drop considerably so you may want to consider the auxillery gas tank...

Thanks, I knew there was help - even for me.

However, one thing leads to anoother - solid axle or irs ? and why or why not ?

I've had 3 trikes but never an IRS, always solid axle and not by choice, that's just the way they were.

Hannigan will be a IRS system where as the Tri-Wing will be a solid axle. Having ridden both I feel the IRS is a smoother ride due to wheels operating independently when travsering bumps or pot holes. On a solid axle the bike will stay more level in sharp turns but also be harsher when going over cold patched or uneven roads. Highly crowned roads will also offer their own challanges too. When a Hannigan trike is set up properly it'll be like a Corvette running thru twisties. As said once by my friend Jay / ragtop69gs.:thumbsup2: A couple of reasons is that the bike will sit lower to the ground, has a wider wheel stance, and is longer too.

Larry

Humm;

If you want... you can can call me on my cell & I'll share my knowledge with you. Even though I have not had mine for long, I have been all over it & have lots to share.

If you don't have my cell still, just PM me.

BTW - even with my Hannigan issues, I definitely recommend the Hannigan conversion, EZ Steer & the IRS it has. Carbon_One's Aux gas tank is a must also.

JohnB