IGNORED

'77 XS750 Front end swap question...

weslee1980

So I've read a plethora of resources and online pages/blogs about performing a swap of the front end on my 77, but I can't seem to figure out one thing. There seems to be a variety of front ends that can be used for a conversion to a beefier/newer setup like from the Ninja's, but I'm curious if all of these require additional work due to steering stem length... Are there any compatible front ends that have the right bearings and stem length to basically be a "plug and play" setup? I'd like to do the conversion, but I'm looking for the easiest route possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the online resources I checked or was directed to have loads of "lists" that cover this, but don't seem to go in any detail as to whether they are actual direct fit or need additional mods.

Hey Weslee,

First off, welcome to the forum. $12.00 gets you a FULL dose of the insanity! Now about that front end conversion. Most all of the Yamaha street bikes use the same bearing set. The hot ticket item would be to go to the tapered roller bearings from the stock, ball bearings. So this means that the steering stem on any of the popular front ends that you would want to swap into your 750 are going to use the same upper and lower bearing set. This means that the "gooseneck" of the frame is the same diameter on them all. Here is where you are going to have to get out your measuring tape and start hunting. Pull a tape on the length of the smaller diameter of the gooseneck of your bike, then hit the motorcycle scrap yards, and take a measurement on the front end of the bike you would like to swap the front end off of. This will give you the length of the steering stem without taking the front end apart. You could even go to a dealership and "discreetly" make some measurements while pretending to shop for a new scoot. If you plan to use a front end from another manufacturer, then you will need to cross reference bearing diameters, and make some hard measurements on the steering stem length. A lot of this kind of research can be done on the computer, but sometimes you need to get out there, and do the foot work, as well as the homework.

Good luck with this project! :thumbsup2:

Earl