IGNORED

86 VR won't start

I have an 86 that I just bought and it will not start. It has to be a fuel issue, it will start with starting fluid or a little gas poured in the carbs. The fuel pump is working and gas is getting to the carbs (line from pump removed key turned on). It has started once and ran for about a minute, really smooth, and quit. Is there something that would cause the fuel pump to stop or just dirty carbs? BTW did swap in a known good pump and same story.

you can hang a SMALL TANK with good gas directly hooked to the carbs or bypass the pump and see if she will run or idle. If it does it is the pump, also check that fuel filter, also could be the filter or the petcock is off, on that bike , if my memory serves correct, I thinks it's on right side , low near pegs. look at this http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/index.cfm

Make sure you have the air filter on the bike as they dont run well without it. You might want to check the choke and make sure it is actually opening or closingas you move the lever. The choke is on the left side of the carbs as you sit on the bike. You will also find a PDF of the service manual in the tech section and you can download it and research it to him you with the carbs.

And of course a little seafoam in the tank wont hurt either or in the little tank you test with.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes..

Rick F.

I can be kind of an old fuss pot when it comes to words,,, so tell us, did you take the line off the carbs, by the carbs or just from the fuel pump. The reason is, that the line from the pump to the carbs could be pinched or plugged.

Yes I took the fuel line off at the carbs and got fuel flow.:)

Then I would turn on the ignition, let the fuel pump come to a stop, turn off the ignition and the turn it back on again to see if the fuel pump starts again. If it does then let it stop and go through the process until it no longer clicks. If it will fire now then you're a happy camper, if not lightly tap the carbs to loosen the float valves. They may be stuck, but I doubt it.

Open the drain screw on each carb to verify that fuel is getting into the float bowl.

With the drains open, when you turn on the key the pump should run for about 2 seconds and some fuel should come out of all 4 drains.

If the engine can not be started then Seafoam in the gas will not do much because it is not getting thru the passages of the carb.

Got it running today. I used a syringe pumped carb cleaner thru the fuel line to the carbs and let it sit over night. It starts and runs with choke. I will have the carbs cleaned and synched tomorrow, should be ready for the road this weekend. Not a bad deal for a bike I originally bought for a parts bike.:cool10: