IGNORED

After My Venture???

Evan

I am sure many of you will laugh at me but here it goes. The day is coming, although hopefully not for several years, when it will be just too much for me to get my leg over my 1st gen Venture and it will be just too heavy for me to handle it safely. I'm sure not looking forward to that day as I like my VR as much or more than any of the bikes I have owned over the last 49 years. Well, at the Toronto Bike show this past weekend, I saw a new model BMW that I think will allow me to keep on riding and enjoying it. Here it is:http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-BMW-C650GTc.jpg

Yes, its a scooter that BMW calls a C650GT which has all the features that I think will make it an extremely comfortable two up touring machine. The only limitation that I can see is that it may not allow me to pull a trailer. Has anyone here seen one of these on the road or rode one? Here in Ontario, I know BMW will feature this model at their demo day this spring.

Evan that BMW scooter is a nice bike. However, if you did not already know it, Suzuki has had a VERY similar scooter out for almost 10 years, called the Burgman 650. It does everything that the new BMW scooter does, for less money. There are many Suzuki Burgman 650's available for resale, at good prices. I know, I bought one for local running around. And boy do I love it. It is my mini ST-650.

Hey Evan,

After meeting you at more than one of Don's Maint. Days, and seeing your passion for riding first hand, I am SURE that what ever bike keeps your passion for riding alive will be OK by me! After all, it's the wind in our faces, and the twist of the throttle that takes us to that magical place that no other event does. I would be PROUD to share some road with you, no matter what kind of bike you ride! Just remember to keep commin' back to the site, and continuing to share your love of riding with us. :thumbsup2:

Earl

I am sure many of you will laugh at me but here it goes. The day is coming, although hopefully not for several years, when it will be just too much for me to get my leg over my 1st gen Venture and it will be just too heavy for me to handle it safely. I'm sure not looking forward to that day as I like my VR as much or more than any of the bikes I have owned over the last 49 years. Well, at the Toronto Bike show this past weekend, I saw a new model BMW that I think will allow me to keep on riding and enjoying it. Here it is:http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-BMW-C650GTc.jpg

Yes, its a scooter that BMW calls a C650GT which has all the features that I think will make it an extremely comfortable two up touring machine. The only limitation that I can see is that it may not allow me to pull a trailer. Has anyone here seen one of these on the road or rode one? Here in Ontario, I know BMW will feature this model at their demo day this spring.

Why not just get a second gen and trike it? Or buy one already triked?

The guy I ride with most of the time just bought a Honda Silverwing last summer and he really likes it. Fast too. He's 82 this coming March and his hips don't like the riding style of a regular motorcycle anymore. The scooters allow you to sit with your legs closer together.

Extending his riding days. So far we have not taken any long trips together so don't know how that would go yet.

He just didn't like the idea of a trike or hack.

Whatever it takes,

BOO

Evan that BMW scooter is a nice bike. However, if you did not already know it, Suzuki has had a VERY similar scooter out for almost 10 years, called the Burgman 650. It does everything that the new BMW scooter does, for less money. There are many Suzuki Burgman 650's available for resale, at good prices. I know, I bought one for local running around. And boy do I love it. It is my mini ST-650.

Hey, maybe pick up a used scoot before you get to that "have to" point. Tool around on it as your "commute",,,, then when you "got to" you will know if that is what you want.

(Then sell both and get a new one as your "prime ride".)

Hey, maybe pick up a used scoot before you get to that "have to" point. Tool around on it as your "commute",,,, then when you "got to" you will know if that is what you want.

(Then sell both and get a new one as your "prime ride".)

That is a very good point ! I know I searched high and low for a "local" commuter bike, as I do not like to start up any of my big engine bikes to run into town for the mail...2 miles...or to ride up 12 miles to have lunch with my wife. My big bikes are designed for longer rides. So I went through several smaller cc bikes to try to find the right bike. After trying a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650, then a 1989 Honda Transalp, then a 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate, I finally found...and am very happy with this 2004 Suzuki Burgman 650. This bike is a blast to ride, a rocket ship when you want it to be. Even at speed, it gets 55 mpg.

There is a Burgman website that shows trailers being towed behind these, and trailer hitches to fit it. I have even set mine up to accept the Givi case I have that holds an aux. fuel cell, so I can use it for really long rides. I am "thinking" about using it for the Three Flgas Classic some year, just to blow past other bigger bikes, with the license plate on my Burgman saying...ST 650.

So, Evan, find a used Suzuki Burgman 650, ride it like you stole it, and then decide if you want to keep it, or sell it and your Venture, to buy a (gulp) BMW scooter.

If it were me, I would keep the Suzuki scooter.:backinmyday:

Edited by Miles

I would love to have a Bergman for rolling around the city. My neighbor has one and comutes to DC every day (50mile one way). Also RiderTC here has one and just loves it. I have ridden her's and its Fast and fun. On the bergman forum there are riders who travel with there bergmans and pull trailers, trike them and put hacks on them. I met a guy on skyline drive that had over 100k on his 02 bergman. Its a fun ride!

Evan, I have a friend who has MS, and rather than quit riding as he became more disabled, he bought a Bergman 650 with a matching sidecar and his wife bought the next size down[400?], so they can still ride together. he says he and his wife go more places now than they ever did with his 2 wheel bike.

:fireman:

Guest tx2sturgis

I find myself agreeing with Miles on this one. The Burgman 650 is well supported, has a huge aftermarket, is reliable, and gets the job done. I love scooters myself, nothing beats the twist-and-go fun they provide.

I own a smaller scooter, 150cc, and its a blast around town. But the larger maxi-scooters are quite capable of touring duty at highway speeds.

I took a Yamaha 500cc T-Max scooter for a demo last summer, and let me tell you: That thing was FAST. Not just fast for a scooter, no sir. That bike is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Fast.

And the speed is matched by the handling and the braking...its just as good at those things too.

I'm sure you cant go wrong with the beemer, but they are spendy, have fewer dealers, and the parts prices can be steep after the warranty runs out.

But when its all said and done, you will enjoy the scooters. I have no doubt.

:happy34:

I was talking to a guy that had a Burgman 650 scooter that he rode across Canada last summer.He said it was a delight to ride and was fabulous on fuel. The only drawback is the small gas tank.He could not say enough great things about it.:cool10: