IGNORED

RSV-Hannigan Trike fender-light bar clearance

First_N_Last

Well the checks of my Trike have revealed its first problem.

When I picked it up, I was told that a small dent was discovered in the front fender which was believed to be caused by the light-bar falling on the fender during a performed repair.

After driving it home I discovered that the small dent is now a crease in what was my beautiful fender. Sooooooo...

Anyone who has had their Venture converted with a Hannigan kit & EZSteer - Have you had problems with your light-bar hitting the front fender on hard bumps due to reduced clearance between the bar & the fender?

I have a call into the previous owner...

Before I attempt to fix the problem, I need to know if the reduced clearance is from the EZSteer install or some lowering adjustment performed. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Anyone know where I can get fender damage repaired like I have?

Thanks as always - here are some photos.

show two dents & ridge mark across fender

380336_4427680083850_664617347_n.jpg

shows small clearance problem

12284_4427681363882_1399421260_n.jpg

I have the same problem but it is not from the easy steer. I have my forks lowered 3/4 of an inch in the trippletree. Its from the lowering bracket for the light bar made by a member Slowroll. (I see it in your pictures) The bracket lowers your light bar so you can remove the front fairing without removing the lightbar. I have two dents in mine even after replacing the fork oil with a heavier weight oil. Check your fork air pressure too, could be low. We might need to replace the springs with progressive springs.

Thanks for all the info...

The previous owner graciously contacted me & provided info.

He had noticed that first fender dent about 3 years ago. The additional increasing denting appeared to be the result of hitting bumps on the way home (caused by the clearance issue). At least the mystery of the 3 year old dent is over.

Now for the real problem of the clearance.

The previous owner has not lowered the front end.

The front end lowering had to have been done during the Hannigan conversion.

Monday morning I'll be contacting Hannigan for their comments, etc.

- Today I'm sending this thread & photos to Hannigan

The light-bar extension was on prior to conversion & the light clearance reduction is a very minor contributor to this problem.

Initially, I'll add air pressure to the front forks, then wait for Hannigan suggestions.

Members, thanks for your help...

JohnB

Considering the front springs are around 10 years old maybe it is time for new progressives. Heavier springs also help out with front tire wobble according to a local RSV Trike owner. I've forgotten the name of another spring manufacturer that is better for the RSV but it is in a thread somewhere in the forums within the last couple of months. Just do a search using progressives and I'm sure it will come up...

John my guess is that the springs need replacing with either a set of Progressives or Sonics. I had a set of Sonics in my 05 and loved the way the worked. Keep in mind that the Sonics are a straight spring not a progressive type. Anyhow While having them in I never had any issuse with bottoming out as in your case. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

:think::scratchchin::think:

Mine is a tad over 3 inches above the fender. in 4 years there never has been a issue.

[ATTACH]73064[/ATTACH]

What I have to fix first is the clearance problem.

My 2008 Royal Star Venture has 3 3/4" between the light-bar & the front fender.

My problem 2002 Venture-Hannigan has just 1 3/4" between the bar & fender.

Just 1 3/4" clearance is the main problem. If I have to disassemble the forks to fix, I probably should upgrade the fork springs also.

Thanks;

JohnB

Gotcha John.. looked like it was the same sorry.. YES there is a problem HUSTON !

Yeah that is way to close. please keep us informed as what has happened.

I doubt Hannigan would have put the wrong rake kit on there and could cause

that issue. but things happen I guess.

Thanks,

Jeff

What I have to fix first is the clearance problem.

My 2008 Royal Star Venture has 3 3/4" between the light-bar & the front fender.

My problem 2002 Venture-Hannigan has just 1 3/4" between the bar & fender.

Just 1 3/4" clearance is the main problem. If I have to disassemble the forks to fix, I probably should upgrade the fork springs also.

Thanks;

JohnB

Wow, I don't think just the rake kit would shorten that distance, it only kicks the forks out more. Are the forks even at the top of the tripple tree?

Is this Butch's Trike in the past :think:

Yes, this was Butch's Trike. With me riding it at high speeds across states & with a little more weight than him, the clearance became a BIG issue.

So after doing quick research in the Tech Library, I found http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939 (Lowering the Front End - by Freebird).

I think that by following this tech info & adjusting the forks down should solve the problem. Before I get started on this, has anyone done this without removing the lower part of the Front Fairing completely? I have no garage & will be doing this in the driveway. Damn I hate not having a garage!

Of course I'll check all other measurements that I can to be sure that the problem is not something other than my planned fork adjustment.

For the adjustment, I plan to adjust the forks to have 3 3/4" of clearance minimum. If that goes alright, I'll change out the fork oil to 15 weight while following this procedure http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57207 (Changing the Fork Oil).

Please????

Anyone with TIPS, SUGGESTIONS, WARNINGS, ANYTHING to share, please do.

I just want to get this done & fixed so I stop the damage, save money, save time & can finally ride again. I did not expect this type of repair was needed when I bought & all my planned money has been spent.

Thanks in advance;

JohnB

John, find a tree near by. lol. My Venture will be picked up this week and triked by Hannigan through Trikes by Coach Rice in Loganville Ga. Kit will be ready on the 17th and trike delivered back the week after Christmas. Long time waiting.

Hope all works out for you. :fingers-crossed-emo

:mytruck1:

Bob

John, find a tree near by. lol. My Venture will be picked up this week and triked by Hannigan through Trikes by Coach Rice in Loganville Ga. Kit will be ready on the 17th and trike delivered back the week after Christmas. Long time waiting.

Hope all works out for you. :fingers-crossed-emo

:mytruck1:

Bob

Coach Rice did ours a few years ago and everything seems to have been done correctly. You're gonna love it. :thumbsup2:

On my bike I had the light bar bracket on to let me remove the fairing and with the bar bracket I also had the same thing yours looked like. A freind that is a body man fixed my fender and can not tell anymore. But Mine did it when I had to hit both brakes hard to try to stop when someone pulled out in front of me when I was going 60. Just missed the back side of the car but my Front fender had damage from the light bar being to low . Took off the bracket and no problems with 30,000 miles on the bike since. My bracket in on my work bench now

Good luck

:080402gudl_prv:

Today as I worked from home, I spent breaks & lunch working on the front end.

I started by taking the fairing completely off...

first the top half...

548810_4441937440275_653484103_n.jpg

disconnecting cables & more wire cables...

64611_4441940600354_1929588879_n.jpg

finally, the bottom of the fairing is removed & the first sign of problems shows

see the fork tube slid up about 2 1/2 inches in the photo?

154949_4441940920362_1146864765_n.jpg

second sign - nut holding fairing bracket to the upper tree is missing. this nut is a nylon locking nut. they just don't loosen up & fall off. Forgot to tighten up? - probably

560958_4441943320422_1680754872_n.jpg

here is the other nut on the other side of the bracket for reference...

28043_4441945360473_1759908736_n.jpg

the fork tube in this picture is so loose that I can twist it with my hands...

67059_4441947360523_123946240_n.jpg

More work tomorrow & more photos...

I tried taking some short cuts, but with all the work I know I have to do now... pausing to - remove gas tank - remove front fender - remove front wheel - remove front brakes - Damn!

:bang head:

Well at this point I have the anxiety of having to wait until tomorrow to dig in deeper to this issue.

What I am certain of at this point:

1. this front end clearance looseness had to be noticed in some way or form by the previous owner
  2. the nylon self locking nut could not have been tightened properly if it just fell off
  3. the left fork being that loose & slid up means the right fork spring has to have suffered compression damage because it was the only spring providing suspension action.
  4. because the right spring is damaged, I'll have to at least replace both fork springs now
  5. my experience has been that forks don't come loose unless they weren't tightened to spec when assembled
  6. I AM NOT HAPPY!

I hope I just find loose clamp bolts & not stripped bolts tomorrow.

Stay tuned for more frustration to be endured by me & to bring smiles to others who may have suffered similarly.

:bang head:

JohnB