IGNORED

hmlemons0608

hmlemons0608

I am considering a diaphragm to coil spring conversion to try to minimize slippage during hard acceleration. Before I do, I would like to get some feedback from anyone who has done it. Was it worth it. I don't want to do something I will just regret later. Why did Yamaha change to the diaphragm clutch spring? My 84 had coil springs. Now I have a 99 RSV and I'm back to the same problem I had with th 84 until I installed the heavy duty springs.

Edited by hmlemons0608

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'm sure some of the guys are going to ask you if you have tried a heavier diaphram? A few months ago, my clutch started slipping, and through the advice of several here, I purchased the stronger diaphram kit from Skydoc, and the bike has performed awesome ever since. I guess if I had needed to, I would've changed over to springs, but the stronger diaphram seems to be the fix I was looking for. and was literally a 20-30 minute job.

This is not a shameless promotion of the Clutch Diaphragm Spring Upgrade Kit I offer in the Classifieds, as many know, PCW Racing offers an excellent quality Clutch Diaphragm Kit as well. This is an explanation from a manufacturing standpoint as to why in the world would Yamaha put a single Clutch Diaphragm Spring in the MKII VR, and ALL of the Second Gen. V4 motorcycles.

In 1983 , Yamaha produced the MKI Venture with the 1200cc motor and the 6 compression spring clutch configuration. It used this clutch design up thru 1985. When the MKII VR was introduced in 1986, A single clutch diaphragm spring was used, and is still used to this day on the V4 bikes.

Basically, the single clutch diaphragm spring is cheaper to produce, and quicker to install on the bikes as they come down the assembly line. Considering the fact that the clutch is considered a "perishable item" and is NOT covered under Yamaha's 5 Year Warranty, I am sure a lot of service work is generated for the dealers as a result of this one "weak link" in the clutch system of the V4 engine. I assure you that Yamaha is FULLY aware of this issue, and they must chuckle every time someone complains about the weak clutch on the V4 engine. As far as the Barnett vrs. Single Clutch Diaphragm Spring choice goes,

BOTH clutch compression systems do the same job, they squeeze the friction discs and steel clutch plates to connect the engine to the rear wheel. Period. The Barnett Clutch is a "Purple Powder Coated" knock off of the original MKI VR Clutch Compression System that has been around since the 60's. They didn't reinvent the wheel, so to speak, they just took a solid clutch compression system and painted it purple.

There are many different types of people in this world, (which is GOOD for Barnett) I for one don't really care what color my clutch pressure plate is, so long as when "I drop the hammer" on my 87'VR the rear wheel is spinnin' and not the clutch friction discs! I say, if you got the bucks, and like to brag about purple parts on your bike that you can't even see, then Barnett makes an excellent quality product, and your clutch will hook up just fine. If, on the other hand, you are like me, and let your bike's performance do the talking, and want to save a few bucks while you're at it, the try the kit I have offered in the Classifieds, or the PCW Kit. It won't be Purple, but it WILL do the job! :crackup:

Earl

hi henry

i have done both of the clutch upgrades. the barnett on my old two wheel '99 rsv. i no longer have that bike. i installed earl's kit on my '99 rsv trike. i honsetly could not tell the difference between the two as performance goes. the purple plate sure is pretty but as it's been said, you'll never that color again for a long time. so i would just go with earl's (skydoc) plate. then go for a long ride with the money you'll save.

reguards

don c.

I want to thank everyone for their feedback but I am still on the fence with this. The thing is, I plan on riding ths bike for a long time and I want a clutch that will go the distance. My 84 and I were together for a long time and I expected we would be for a lot longer. In all that time there was only one time when it was down for mechanical reasons (stripped a pinion gear in the final drive). So when our time together came to an unexpected and sudden end, I didn't even look at any bikes that didn't have the yamaha V4 engine. I can do the wrenching on the bike but I would rather be riding. I take several road trips each year (1000+ miles) and when I open the gate I let all of those ponys come out to play. I normally get about 4K miles out of a 10K back tire. I want a clutch that can handle the almost constant hard acceleration that I subject it to for a long time. I don't mind spending a bit more if it means less down time and more fun time and I really don't care about the color. I have a few months to decide before the road trips start again. For now I can baby the clutch for the around town riding that I do.

I have the stronger spring and replaced the half disc. Even with the loaded trailer behind, I can still take it up to red line going thru the gears and smoke a Harley with no sign of clutch slippage.

ALL springs weaken with age. It does not matter if it is a coil spring or a flat spring.

I have yet to hear of ANYONE that has had either upgrade slip under any condition or age. So if they both work perfect, all the time, then the only difference is cost.