IGNORED

Here is a bicycle I could get into

XV1100SE

They are saying because it has extendable pedals (for pedaling)... it could be classed as a bicycle.

I've seen bicycles with e-motors but nothing to this extreme. I have to agree this is an e-motorcycle.... not bicycle. Kind of a cross between a moped and a sport bike.

Still.... 80mph on something that weighs 120lbs with a 200 mile distance? ...

Mfr says in the article :

"When the juice runs out, use a coin to turn the fasteners and pop out the pedals from behind the fairings to go on human power. Regarding the X5′s street legality, Hanebrink says, “the benefit of a legal electric bicycle is, of course, that it does not require registration, drivers license, or special motorcycle permit, etc. and can be operated where motorcycles are not permitted.”

Does the DMV (MTO in Ontario) have a point where they classify it as an e-motorcycle vs e-bicycle? I don't know but might be interesting to find out.

It says you don't need a motorcycle license, but here in Illinois any motor driven cycle at or over 50cc requires a MC license, any electric vehicle that can exceed 20mph or has a motor that exceeds 750 watts requires license plates and a valid MC drivers license, class L under 150cc, class M 150cc and over. Next it does not qualify as a neighborhood electric vehicle since it can exceed 20mph.

Does anyone know what a 750 watts electric motor is to hp? what would the cc equivelant be??

It says you don't need a motorcycle license, but here in Illinois any motor driven cycle at or over 50cc requires a MC license, any electric vehicle that can exceed 20mph or has a motor that exceeds 750 watts requires license plates and a valid MC drivers license, class L under 150cc, class M 150cc and over. Next it does not qualify as a neighborhood electric vehicle since it can exceed 20mph.

Does anyone know what a 750 watts electric motor is to hp? what would the cc equivelant be??

1 hp(I) = 745.699872 W

Guest tx2sturgis

I doubt any state will classify this thing as a 'bicycle'.

Adding pedals to an automobile that will turn the rear wheels when rotated, does not suddenly make that car a sidewalk toy that doesnt need a license or registration.

Although its an impressive design, I dont think you will see a lot of them around, at that price.

:2cents: