IGNORED

New to me RSV-Hannigan Trike Check-Setup_Mod

First_N_Last

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 degrees today, but sunny with no wind so I went back to finishing off the final things.

Today's effort was to correct the "Previous Owner's" wiring for the fuel pumps.

When he wired up the Auxiliary Fuel Tank & pump, he decided to hook it up to accessory power.

Yes - when you turned the key to accessory to listen to the radio, etc. the fuel pumps had power.

I wasn't comfortable with that, so it now connected to ignition controlled power.

37264206_r2-D_31DnRDt9fBjFFDjITsxYJTNxymOIN2pBZ-3n4c.jpg

That was all I could do in the cold for today. Even the soldering iron wasn't happy.

JohnnyB

• 2 months later...

Spring seems to have arrived so I am restarting my check/mod effort.

Yesterday's efforts were...

Finished my Air Intake checks & mods. I tried the full D-cutout on thus bike. Just like my 2008 RSV, the 2002 RSV found it too lean with the full d cut. So I left it with just an added 1/2 hole added to the factory cutout.

48076_10200248238182342_1384107263_n.jpg

After that I spent about one hour changing the cheap Hannigan Trunk lock to a cheap T-Handle lock that works REALLY well.

538016_10200248238582352_846440435_n.jpg

529519_10200248239302370_519565293_n.jpg

Today is another nice weather day so - I'll be at it in less than one hour.

JohnB

Just got to my first break & here are the discoveries so far...

• The CB was in it's mounting case, but none of the wires were hooked up. I'm going to check it out for receiving with a temporary hookup & see if it works. Then I'll connect it up & order/buy a CB antenna, mount & connector adapter. PO didn't bother with it I guess.
    546138_10200248553270219_1422518612_n.jpg
  • I found the fuel lines held on the fuel filter by plastic tie wraps (not even nylon). So I'm replacing them of course.
    555525_10200248553630228_19729860_n.jpg

564574_10200248555550276_816921491_n.jpg

Back to the effort...

JohnB

I got the CB wired back up except for the antenna. A quick test shows that it works.

562212_10200251051852682_665724834_n.jpg

Now I just need to figure out the parts to get a firestick connected.

Changed the wiring on the MP3Venture to get rid of the switch & have power supplied by bike accessory instead of the C-Bus.

Then I changed the widshield mounting screws to my mod which uses faucet washers & steel washers to cushion the grip of the windshield to the fairing.

529163_10200251052092688_902577272_n.jpg

544276_10200251052372695_235309918_n.jpg

Now I get to ride in the nice weather until I get a CB antenna & alarm system.

JohnB

I'm raiding my tackle box for sinkers to try it out.

If it works let me know. I've got a lot of pure lead for when I was shooting black powder and also a bunch of wheel weight lead tined for cast bullet shooting. Oh and let us know which works best for the most return in gold. :stirthepot:

Larry

While I'm waiting to get all my Alarm & CB Antenna stuff...

I decided to take the "Ghost Rider" out on a 350+ mile cruise.

The trip started on I64 west out of Richmond for about 15 miles at 70+

- then got on rte250 west with speeds between 40 & 62

- in Charlottesville - hopped back on 64 & did 70+ up Afton mountain

- on the mountains, I got on the Blue Ridge Parkway & rode south

- got off the BRP at route 60 & drove east & home

Two problems were discovered:

1. Trike was pinging with regular, but seems to work great with Premium
    - I am planning on changing my DynaTek profile from 3 to 2 (maybe)
  2. Close to home, I started to intermittently lose ignition on one of the cylinders
    - this turned out to be the red wire to the cylinder #1 coil
    - I had used a Y-patch to eliminate cutting/splicing the tach install
    - corrected by splicing & adding good connectors

Ignition is fully functional now - the pinging with unleaded will be retested to insure that it wasn't caused by the mis-firing cylinder #1.

Soon to be fully done & ready for a summer cruise to Alido, TX.

JohnB

• 2 weeks later...

CB update:

• Firestick II antenna is installed
  • CB receive works great
  • Rear transmit switch works
  • Front transmit switch doesn't work

So... on to the next stage of repair effort:

• determined by monitoring Green wire on Clarion radio control side of cable
    12+ normal & ground when rear transmit switch is pushed
  • White wire at control side has no voltage - may be different from rear?
    front transmit switch on has no ground on other cable side

Repair effort will continue when the rain days pass

JohnB

CB update:

• Firestick II antenna is installed
  • CB receive works great
  • Rear transmit switch works
  • Front transmit switch doesn't work

So... on to the next stage of repair effort:

• determined by monitoring Green wire on Clarion radio control side of cable
    12+ normal & ground when rear transmit switch is pushed
  • White wire at control side has no voltage - may be different from rear?
    front transmit switch on has no ground on other cable side

Repair effort will continue when the rain days pass

JohnB

Repair status determined tonight...

The front transmit button problem is most likely the transmit switch. The CB & Radio Control are functioning normally.

Next step is diss-assembly of the switch assembly.

JohnB

• 4 weeks later...
Repair status determined tonight...

The front transmit button problem is most likely the transmit switch. The CB & Radio Control are functioning normally.

Next step is diss-assembly of the switch assembly.

JohnB

Just repaired the faulty front CB transmit switch. I had to totally disassemble the switch - fix it - then reassemble it. It was not much fun.

then I tuned the antenna...

chan1 - 1.5

chan40 - .5

antenna is a touch to short to adjust further, but the setting is good enough.

CB is now operational!

John

While I'm waiting to get all my Alarm & CB Antenna stuff...

Trike was pinging with regular, but seems to work great with Premium

- I am planning on changing my DynaTek profile from 3 to 2 (maybe)

Well I doubled checked the pinging with different tanks of gas. Pinging with regular persisted.

Before changing the DynaTek profile, I checked the TPS adjustment.

The Throttle Position Sensor was an interesting thing to adjust. After persistence I managed to check the adjustment. It was 800 ohms at closed throttle & progressively increased as the throttle was opened to full with a max reading of about 4800 ohms. No adjustment was necessary.

The TPS if defective or miss-adjusted could have been the problem, but it wasn't.

So, I changed the profile from 3 to 2. Pinging is gone with regular gas now.

I now declare my Trike ready to ride.

This is the end of my entries to this thread.

JohnB

Glad your happy now.

How was the vacation John ?

Jay,

Sedona, AZ was great - weather was great - hiking was great - no cuts, sprains, etc. like some past years, for any of us four.

Sedona Eagle Rider wanted $205 (out the door) to rent a Harley, so we all passed on renting crotch heaters.

John

• 1 year later...

UPDATE

-------------------------------------------

Since I picked up the Trike, I had a little strange vibration above 74mph. I finally "got-a-round-to-it" & pulled both rear wheels off & got them spin balanced. The shop said they "were way off". Afterwards I ran the Trike up to 95 & it was smooth. I should have done that a long time ago, but getting those wheels off with a 12mm allen wrench is a pain.

While I had the wheels off, I checked out my rear gas tank vent hose. Filling my AUX tank has always been a pain & I had to almost drip the gas in to keep it from foaming out. Well this problem has been resolved now also. The vent hose came out of the tank - went up about 4 inches to loop around 3 times in an eight inch loop & then went down to the other drain/vent hoses. The hose has been shortened by about 4 feet now & is routed simply without rise & looping. Jees - why would someone have done that?

The Dynatek 3000 I put in failed & Dynatek replaced it with a new USB model. That model has been setup with 3 custom ignition profiles I have tried. It is pretty cool making your own curves, but probably a little complex for the average biker.

That is it - everything else is just running & making me happy. The rear tires seem like they will last forever. The front tire is the 1st of 2 tires I'm Testing for AVON Tires. The MT90 will come off in about 2000 miles & I'll put a different one on for wear/handling testing. Avon wants to have a front "Trike" rated tire to offer for us.

JohnB

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE

-------------------------------------------

Since I picked up the Trike, I had a little strange vibration above 74mph. I finally "got-a-round-to-it" & pulled both rear wheels off & got them spin balanced. The shop said they "were way off". Afterwards I ran the Trike up to 95 & it was smooth. I should have done that a long time ago, but getting those wheels off with a 12mm allen wrench is a pain.

While I had the wheels off, I checked out my rear gas tank vent hose. Filling my AUX tank has always been a pain & I had to almost drip the gas in to keep it from foaming out. Well this problem has been resolved now also. The vent hose came out of the tank - went up about 4 inches to loop around 3 times in an eight inch loop & then went down to the other drain/vent hoses. The hose has been shortened by about 4 feet now & is routed simply without rise & looping. Jees - why would someone have done that?

The Dynatek 3000 I put in failed & Dynatek replaced it with a new USB model. That model has been setup with 3 custom ignition profiles I have tried. It is pretty cool making your own curves, but probably a little complex for the average biker.

That is it - everything else is just running & making me happy. The rear tires seem like they will last forever. The front tire is the 1st of 2 tires I'm Testing for AVON Tires. The MT90 will come off in about 2000 miles & I'll put a different one on for wear/handling testing. Avon wants to have a front "Trike" rated tire to offer for us.

JohnB

Glad to hear you are getting things sorted out on the trike.

That would be fantastic if they do offer a trike specific front tire with a flatter profile to put more rubber on the road. Can you give us some pictures of these tires you're testing?