IGNORED

A Fix for those broken side cover tabs

SilvrT

I've been replacing the broken studs on the side covers on my '84 with these 10mm ball studs. Worked out better than what I was doing before trying to rebuild the stud with fiberglass rod and JB Weld.

Probably work with other applications as well.

Mike

Ooppps. I see they got ya covered on that on the other thread.

Edited by Snaggletooth

I've been replacing the broken studs on the side covers on my '84 with these 10mm ball studs. Worked out better than what I was doing before trying to rebuild the stud with fiberglass rod and JB Weld.

Probably work with other applications as well.

Mike

Ooppps. I see they got ya covered on that on the other thread.

ya... gonna try and find me some of those ball studs this weekend. I got one broken tab ... not bad for a 10yr old scoot I guess (seein as I broke it :whistling:).

I bought the ball studs from McMaster-Carr. I found that the distance from the base to the bottom of the ball wasn't quite long enough, so I had a machinist friend put them in a lathe and cut the ball side of the shank and base down. In effect the hex base is thinner now, and the material was removed from the ball side. The ball is also a touch larger than the Yammie tab.

Frank

Black Owl was the first to find those ball studs at McMaster. I used to have the part number stashed somewhere.... but old age and all??? If I remember correctly at the time they were about $1.00+ so I bought about a dozen or so. I bet BO still has the number hostage and might respond to bribes. BTW, they have a 5/16" thread and fit 1stGen side covers perfectly and do not need to be modified....

Black Owl was the first to find those ball studs at McMaster. I used to have the part number stashed somewhere.... but old age and all??? If I remember correctly at the time they were about $1.00+ so I bought about a dozen or so. I bet BO still has the number hostage and might respond to bribes. BTW, they have a 5/16" thread and fit 1stGen side covers perfectly and do not need to be modified....

Yah smooth talker.....

The McMaster-Carr part number is 9512K73. It is a5/16 ball stud with an 18 thread.

Don't know about shipping time to Canada, but I usually receive orders from M-C in 2or 3 days after placing an order.

Yah smooth talker.....

The McMaster-Carr part number is 9512K73. It is a5/16 ball stud with an 18 thread.

Don't know about shipping time to Canada, but I usually receive orders from M-C in 2or 3 days after placing an order.

sumbody around here will have them ... I just have to find them.

sumbody around here will have them ... I just have to find them.

Try places that sell caps for P/U trucks, they use those balls for the air springs to hold the cargo doors open, A farm supply store might have them also. Or an industrial supply store like McMaster.

• 1 year later...

Just purchased the ball-studs from McMaster-Carr. Going to give it a try this weekend and see how the repair goes. I was really surprised at the great service from McMaster-Carr though. I placed the order yesterday and the package arrived today! I ordered 20 of them and it cost with shipping $22.40. If they work as good as everyone says, I should be very happen. :)

My fix on this problem many years ago was to clean both surfaces after removing the rubber grommet and using industrial strength Velcro. I have never had a problem with the heat melting the glue and it works for a long time. This is a lot easier and cheaper than using any kind of ball stud. I also carry some spare Velcro in my tool bag.

RandyA