IGNORED

Gas smell (revisited)

Ok looking for suggestions.

When I take out my '84 for a ride & then park her (in the garage) I get a gasoline/exhauset smell. I vent the garage but it comes back. Within 4 hours or so it stops. Bike runs fine & I get great mileage MPG.

So far I have changed

1. Fuel lines
  2. Vent lines
  3. Fuel filter
  4. all clamps
  5. Air filter
  6. PCV vent in air filter IS attached
  7. petcock is in good shape
  8. nothing is leaking, weaping or stuck

Originally the bike smelled ALL the time but replacement of all lines fixed that. It's like she is running rich.

I have narowed it down to the carbs & the floats are ok but is there anything ELSE on the carbs (washers fittings set screws etc) that anyone can suggest may be the problem?

It's not a huge problem but more of an irritation. Any suggestions? :confused24:

Hey Andy,

With the Ethanol in the fuel these days, it is really hard to keep the rubber parts in the Carbs. from drying out. I run 1 oz. per gallon of Seafoam in my tank pretty much all the time these days. I am guessing, but I think you have a float bowl needle that is not sealing as well as it should. Usually this happens on the left side of the bike. (leaning on kickstand all the time) Try running your bike, (go for a ride) then park the bike for about an hour. When you turn on the ignition switch after an hour, the fuel pump should NOT run hardly at all. If you hear a few clicks of the pump, then the pump is filling up one or more of the Carb. bowls due to fuel loss. It will be such a small amount that it usually evaporates in the tubes hanging down by the rear wheel. (until that float bowl needle REALLY gets stuck!) Once you add the Seafoam, (NO need to get crazy with the Seafoam) try parking you bike on the center stand for a while, this will keep the float bowl needle, (and the O'Ring on the needle) submerged in the fuel with the Seafoam in it.

This will either work within a tank or two, or it won't. Option two is replacing perishable parts inside the Carbs. I personally would try the Seafoam first. Unless of course, you enjoy pulling your Carb. Rack off your bike!!

Good luck with this project.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Andy,

Any chance you have a California model (with the fuel emissions canister) and someone has removed the charcoal canister and left the line to such disconnected?

No, definitely not a Cali. Original owner bought it at a dealership in North Carolina.

Hey Andy,

With the Ethanol in the fuel these days, it is really hard to keep the rubber parts in the Carbs. from drying out. I run 1 oz. per gallon of Seafoam in my tank pretty much all the time these days. I am guessing, but I think you have a float bowl needle that is not sealing as well as it should. Usually this happens on the left side of the bike. (leaning on kickstand all the time) Try running your bike, (go for a ride) then park the bike for about an hour. When you turn on the ignition switch after an hour, the fuel pump should NOT run hardly at all. If you hear a few clicks of the pump, then the pump is filling up one or more of the Carb. bowls due to fuel loss. It will be such a small amount that it usually evaporates in the tubes hanging down by the rear wheel. (until that float bowl needle REALLY gets stuck!) Once you add the Seafoam, (NO need to get crazy with the Seafoam) try parking you bike on the center stand for a while, this will keep the float bowl needle, (and the O'Ring on the needle) submerged in the fuel with the Seafoam in it.

This will either work within a tank or two, or it won't. Option two is replacing perishable parts inside the Carbs. I personally would try the Seafoam first. Unless of course, you enjoy pulling your Carb. Rack off your bike!!

Good luck with this project.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Earl, you may have something there. When she was originally wreaking I started running seafoam in her and I was parking her on the centerstand. Being such a pain, I did start using the sidestand & I have not run Seafoam in her for months.

I will try the clicking test, but I think you may have hit the nail on the head for me!

Edited by cabreco

After I 'disturbed' the carb drain screws, 3 of them leaked. The O rings had hardened and needed to be replaced. This can be done with the carbs on the bike. Now, if you need to replace them, the part number listed on the carb. page fische is wrong--the O ring listed is about 1" diameter!! I don't have the correct p/n because when I mentioned to dealer parts counter girl that it was wrong, she called a friend of hers at Yamaha parts and then went into the back room and came out with an envelope of the correct O rings. I also found out that the metric O ring kit you get at Harbor Freight has the corrects size in it (2nd from smallest, P4 I think). After I took the carbs apart to adjust the floats, I had to change the O rings under the float bowl cover also.

Frank