IGNORED

96 RS clutch question

Starting to get some slipping in 5th gear. The bike has 42,500 miles and it feels like I am riding into a heavy wind. Kinda a pause type feel while at speed. Also when I get on throttle in 5th it rpms up then takes off. But only in top gear. What do you guys think? You know..now that I think about it, I never noticed it until I went from Mobil 20w-50 synthetic to the Mobil Racing 4T 10w-40...could that be an issue? Thanks guys.

Simple change your oil back to the oil you werre using, ride it 100 miles, drain that oil again...and filter...and then refill with new oil of the old type...that you used to use...and then go riding. In other words, that immediate oil change was simply a flush to get rid of the racing oil you put in there.

If it stops slipping, then the problem is fixed. If it continues to slip, then...as you already know...it is probably the clutch.

It sounds like you already know this stuff, but just need to hear it from someone else, to confirm your suspicions.

As long as the oil you use specifically states that it for use with a wet clutch and/or states that there are no friction modifiers, then the oil can not be your problem. The Mobil Racing 4T 10w-40 does specifically state that it for use in motorcycles with a wet clutch, So I doubt that it is your problem.

It is also very common to have the clutch spring die of old age. The original spring is just barely up to the task.

You can get a new stronger better spring from Skydoc_17 on this site. He also sells this as a kit with the gasket and a full disc to replace the factory half disk. Once you open it up you can inspect and measure the discs to see if they need replacement. At 43K miles the clutch should not be worn out unless you have had it slipping for a long time already.

As long as you have not been letting it slip for to long the clutch is probably still OK. You just need to replace the spring which is an hour job the first time you do one and 20 minutes to a half hour the next time you do it to help some one else out. These times are for if you do it alone, If you have help it may take longer.......:whistling::happy-emoticon::essen_018:

Edited by Flyinfool

mine started slipping around 38k and i've got 75k on it now. i just downshift and get back on the throttle easier. i usually don't get out of 3rd gear under60mph and 4th around 75mph. stay out of 5th unless i'm on interstate over 70mph. i use the 4t oil and never had any problem with clutch slipping over the 10w50 mobil. changing out the clutch spring with a heavier spring will cure the problem.

I sent him a message this morning about his spring system that everyone talks about but no reply as of yet. I guess it started having that slipping feeling right after we moved out here to Columbia. I have not been riding as much as usual cause of the slipping. Oh hell...it is an easy fix. I am never not doing something on the bike. Always tinkering...haha.. thank you all for the input! Everyone on this site is eager to help.

• 1 month later...

I was having the same issue with my 99 RSV. It was already slipping a little under heavy acceleration, but after I did an oil change it was more noticeable. I got on here and asked for feedback and everyone was really helpful. I finally made the decision based purely on personal preference to upgrade to the Barnett conversion kit. It would have only taken 20 min. to change over but I didn't follow advice and purchase a gasket ahead of time so it took 24 hours. So far I am happy with it. I didn' change any of the friction plates as they were well within specs. Whether you go with the Barnett or the heavier diaphram spring, you will be happy with the end result.

I agree 100% with FLYINFOOL. If the oil states to be used in wet clutches then it is the clutch spring. I have replaced clutch springs on all that were having a problem slipping and the problem was fixed. No need to replace the hole clutch if it just started to slip.

On my trike I run 2 springs for now 5 years and have had no problem with it.

Good luck:080402gudl_prv:

Everyone keeps saying it is the synthetic oils but if it is made for motorcycle wet clutches it's not the OIL.

The problems starts when people run Car or truck oil that is not made for Motorcycle wet clutches.

I sent him a message this morning about his spring system that everyone talks about but no reply as of yet. I guess it started having that slipping feeling right after we moved out here to Columbia. I have not been riding as much as usual cause of the slipping. Oh hell...it is an easy fix. I am never not doing something on the bike. Always tinkering...haha.. thank you all for the input! Everyone on this site is eager to help.

I just bought this upgrade kit from Earl and changed out the half disk and the spring. I also noticed that the bolts holding the spring were streched a little and one actually snapped when I loosened it. Decided to take no chances and changed all the bolts just in case. Really like this upgrade. The clutch is more firm so to speak and I have no slip at all.

Only about one and a half hour work. The most time consuming thing was getting the melted gasket off. Anybody can do this. Be careful not to overtighten the spring bolts. They have a very low torque - 5,8 ft.lbs. / 70 in.lbs.