IGNORED

Motorcycle shipping

BigLenny

Has anyone used a motorcycle shipping company, if so, do you recommend one?

My wife and I are tossing around for our 30th anniversary, flying to Seattle next year and go on an Alaskan cruise, have our bike shipped to Seattle, and after the cruise ride down through Oregon and down the coast to LA. Then back home.

Okay, I am back from Alaska, as of 90 minutes ago, and before I tell you about the ride, let me respond to this idea of shipping your bike to Seattle.

I say...NO. Pay for me to fly out from Seattle to the airport closest to you, and I will ride your '07 RSTD from your place to the hotel you are staying at in Seattle. Or...whatever location you want it at in Seattle. You "may" want me to ride it to MY house, about 65 miles south of the SeaTac airport here, and have me store it in my shop, while you are on your cruise in Alaska. When you get back to Seattle, after the cruise, then I can...and will...pick you up, and hand your bike over to you.

This is a real offer, so think about it.

I used JC Motors this past summer. Rode the bikes from Maryland to Phoenix, AZ and had them (2 bikes) shipped back. We dropped them off at one of their terminals near the airport, very convenient. We kept the keys. They pushed them onto pallets and strapped them down. It took them about 10 days to deliver them to the house. I believe that's what they quoted. Interesting though, they had the bikes back in Maryland within 5 days (I was able to track) and it took them another 4 days to deliver to the house. They claim that the Venture requires a truck with a larger than normal lift gate - it barely fit. I would have to dig into my files to get the exact cost but I believe it was around $1300 for the 2 bikes (my Venture and a Honda Shadow 1100). I'd use them again.

Big Lenny, it is 2315 miles from Little Rock to Seattle. If you pay for my flight out to Little Rock, then it will take me just under 3 days to ride the bike back to Seattle...and that is taking my time. That means I would need to spend two nights on the road at motels, and food money for almost 3 days, and gas money for the 2315 mile trip.

Motels...$ 60.00 per night x 2 nights = $ 120.00

Food.....$ 25.00 per day x 3 days = $ 75.00

Gas......58 gallons x $ 3.50/gal = $ 200.00

All total for expenses on the road = $ 395.00

Plus the cost of a cheap flight to Little Rock, is going to be less than the cost of you shiiping the bike to Seattle. The cost of embarrassment for shipping a bike should be worth something, eh?

So, you can either pay $ 1,000.00 or more to ship the bike, and have it take up to 10 days, or...pay less than $ 1,000.00 to have me fly out and ride your bike back to Seattle, and store it in my shop, and the entire flight and ride back will be less than 4 days total.

BTW, I own and ride an '06 RSMTD, so I am familiar with your bike.

Otherwise, where do you plan to store the bike in the Seattle area, while on your cruise? At the shipping facility? Think twice about that.

Let me know.

Edited by Miles

I've used Haul Bikes and would never use them again. Everything goes thru Milwaukee and gets off loaded and reloaded there plus it takes forever (read weeks not days) Another one I've used is EVT (enclosed vehicle transport) thing I paid $800 for San Diego to Charlotte and transit time was 6 days. Class operation and they kept me well informed the whole time. They haul classic and speciality cars so vehicle is their whole business.

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

Big Lenny, it is 2315 miles from Little Rock to Seattle. If you pay for my flight out to Little Rock, then it will take me just under 3 days to ride the bike back to Seattle...and that is taking my time. That means I would need to spend two nights on the road at motels, and food money for almost 3 days, and gas money for the 2315 mile trip.

Motels...$ 60.00 per night x 2 nights = $ 120.00

Food.....$ 25.00 per day x 3 days = $ 75.00

Gas......58 gallons x $ 3.50/gal = $ 200.00

All total for expenses on the road = $ 395.00

Plus the cost of a cheap flight to Little Rock, is going to be less than the cost of you shiiping the bike to Seattle. The cost of embarrassment for shipping a bike should be worth something, eh?

So, you can either pay $ 1,000.00 or more to ship the bike, and have it take up to 10 days, or...pay less than $ 1,000.00 to have me fly out and ride your bike back to Seattle, and store it in my shop, and the entire flight and ride back will be less than 4 days total.

BTW, I own and ride an '06 RSMTD, so I am familiar with your bike.

Otherwise, where do you plan to store the bike in the Seattle area, while on your cruise? At the shipping facility? Tink twice about that.

Let me know.

Miles,

Very very interesting offer. I will certainly keep that in mind. I still have to do some research about shipping, but I am very interested in your offer, particularly about storing in your facility.

I like the feeling of having someone from the site here that is verse on RSTD's taking care of my bike.

I hate to not ride it up there myself, but we just won't have the time to ride the bike to Seattle, go on the cruise, and ride it back. Our vacation days are limited.

Big Lenny, if you force my hand, then I will ride the bike back to here in 2 days, stopping for only 1 night at a motel. That will save you $ 60.00 for the motel, and $ 25.00 for the food of the extra day. See...you saved $ 85.00 right there.

I have checked on airfare prices, just to give you info, and an average priced flight from Seattle to Littlerock will run about $ 250.00 with all fees included. That is a rough figure, dependent on days of week and which month...etc. But it gives you an idea.

So, with flight, and you forcing me to ride it in 2 days, you may be into this as little as $ 550.00, or as high as $ 600.00.

And, I will change the oil and filter back in my shop, set the tires to your requested psi, and make certain the bike is ready for you and your wife to ride off to points south of here.

Now, that is an offer...ya can't refuse.

Edited by Miles

When I bought my Venture it was in West Virginia and I was in California. I contracted with JC Motors to bring it to me. Since we left on a 2 week cruise for Hawaii the next day, I wasn't concerned about getting it in 2 or 3 days. However, it took almost a month. I picked it up at their terminal in Irvine, Ca. I was told it would be shipped without draining the fuel tank. When I got there the bike was still covered and protected. The tank was dry and the battery was dead. Help from the employees was non existent. The impression I got was, its delivered, we are done. And the price? $738

• 4 weeks later...

Go with the reliable name - Citizenshipper.com. Used these guys several times. All good stuff. Had zero issues with them. Offers reverse style auction on your move that drives down the shipping charge ultimately. Highly professional, dependable and easy to work with.

Trustworthy and reasonably priced transporters for delivery jobs.