IGNORED

Hybrib RSV/1st Gen/Vmax project

dingy

#1. Flling a gas tank with water, and freezing it will only cause a tank to split at its weakest point. Try filling a bottle with water and putting a sealed lid on it, or a pan with a lid and seal it up and see what happens.

#2. As for air pressure you will need enough pressure to move steel, and then how do you direct the pressure and confin it to only the area you want to move. Otherwise you will receive the same result as #1 a failure at the weakest point in the metal.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shifter shaft issue has been resolved. One of my model shop machinists at day job reworked a 1st gen and a 2nd gen shafts for me on his lunches.

I needed a longer shaft to accommodate the forward control linkage setup. I couldn't use the 2nd gen shaft as it was due to larger O.D. I had him cut 1st gen shaft just past the lip seal on the left side. Then he cut 2nd gen shaft off at a point were it and the now modified 1st gen shaft would equal the unmodified 2nd gen shaft length. He drilled & tapped both shafts and a case hardened threaded dowel will be used to join them. Red loctite int 1st gen shaft & blue loctite on 2nd gen side. This way, if I ever need to get back into motor, the shaft can be split and slid out of case.

It's a plan, it may fail though. Worst I can see happening is the threaded dowel breaks, which will leave me stuck in whatever gear I happen to be in. Doubt any catastrophic type failure will happen if this occurs.

Fuel tank is getting frequent flyer miles, off to receive some customization. One of our sponsoring vendors, Ace High Leathers is doing a little bit of work on it for me. She needed tank for fitment. This bike is gonna look different.

Progress is being made, target is to have it ready by MD at Oberlin, 1st week of June.

Gary

"Oven in next to last picture is going to replace my smaller oven in garage that I use for powder coating. This is a full size, one I have now is a built in style and couple of inches narrower. With replacement unit, I can get motor block in oven and cure powder coating on block."

KEWL!!

I got the major motor parts powder coated this weekend. They turned out fairly decent, not professional quality, but I'm happy. Color is Super Mirror Black. I spray painted the block on Tweety with a flat black, not really happy with the flat. Tried gloss on this one.

Taping these off is a lot harder than masking something to spray paint. The high temp tape is thinner than scotch tape. It wants to curl up when working with.

Last picture is what motor looked like when I got it. Battery had leaked and stained block badly.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Looks good did you mess up the wife's oven? I've wondered about the @ home kits for powder coating. After the tape is it fairly easy?

The powder gun I have is from http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html. Hot Coat system, $99 for gun only. Powder is really rather cheap. $10~$15 a pound. I might have used 1/3 pound on block, heads & oil pan.

I have been getting powder from http://www.columbiacoatings.com/ .They have a better selection I think than Eastwood does.

I have a separate oven in garage, you should not use an oven for cooking with powder.

Taping is tedious. Much harder to work with than masking tape. Tapped holes are sealed of with silicone tapered plugs of various sizes.

Parts have to be very clean, down to bare metal. If not it looks like crap, won't stick to any surface contamination. I have sandblasted everything to get all old paint & clear coat off.

Parts are in oven at 380 F for 20 minutes, remove from oven & let cool and they are done.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Motor is coming together. 86 Venture 1300 block, decked .040" ,heads from a VMax.

Covers are all just loose fitted at this point, for a sanity check.

Valve covers are from an RSV and I have a set of chrome caps, but I think that is pushing the chrome a little far. I have a set of VMax covers that have been prepped for powder coating. I may use them, sorta like the styling.

Side covers are a little shiner on this version.

Motor even has some of its older sister's hand me downs. Red side cover plates were on Tweety at one point.

Gary

• 1 month later...

It is slowly getting together. Doesn't look like much in pictures, but it will be awesome when complete. Waiting on some custom work for tank and fenders to arrive from California. It won't be done for Freebird's MD like I had hoped.

Have it into a rolling frame at least at this point.

Side covers are a spare set that are on it to protect motor while I am working on it.

Exhausts are next hurdle. Front headers are going to be custom bent in order to fit in frame.

:mo money:

Gary

• 5 weeks later...

Stupid, honest question...

Why put a gen 1 motor in gen 2 frame? Are gen 1 motors better performance? I thought the gen 2 had higher HP rating (stock)...?

Not trying to thread jack, I promise!. Simple short answer is all I am looking for. :-)

The project is really well done sir! I am very jealous - my '84 took a nose dive off the ugly tree and hit every single branch on the way down. Beautiful job!! Very anxious to see the final result. Subscribed!