IGNORED

Draining the water pump

It has been said here that there is no way to drain the 2nd gen water pump with any normal tools without removing or at least loosening the exhaust. I found out otherwise. I REALLY hate disturbing a new, leak-free exhaust system. Even more than I hate vise-grips and cheapo Chinese sockets. With these common items I was able to remove the waterpump drain plug easily.

Happy wrenching.

Guest tx2sturgis

ooops....I thought this was a prostate thread or something when I saw the title...

Well around here you never know! :whistling:

Carry on.

Hmm cant get a box end wrench on it? The one thing about the cheapo chinese stuff is if you only need it once or twice and throw it away you dont feel like your out much. I have went to Harbor Freight and bough chepo wrenchs and made "special" tools before. No more than you use them they work out OK. Good idea though. And no bloody knuckles, bonus.

Hmm cant get a box end wrench on it? The one thing about the cheapo chinese stuff is if you only need it once or twice and throw it away you dont feel like your out much. I have went to Harbor Freight and bough chepo wrenchs and made "special" tools before. No more than you use them they work out OK. Good idea though. And no bloody knuckles, bonus.

It's recessed a little so you can't get a wrench to it. You can get a socket on it but then no ratchet will fit exhaust in the way. The socket wrench will work along with a socket and vise-grips.

Guest scarylarry

And if you have Ponch gauges you mostly likely will have to remove the oil sending unit or get the oil tube angle just right..

You should drain it when ever you change coolant, which one every 2 years or 26,000 miles. Normally you would drain the water pump after the rest of the ststem is drained, there is not much in there after the system is drained.

I have in excess of 150K miles on my 02 RSMV and I have changed the coolant twice. Probably due for another change this winter, if I get around to it.

:farmer:

Ok how often should you drain the water Pump?

And how much water do you loose/

Guess it depends on the person. I do it around every third year or 75,000 miles or so. If I changed every 26,000 it would be every year or real close to it.

It is not a have to thing but if trying to get all the old out that you can then pull the plug my :2cents:.

Great idea and simple solution. I went out and bought a flat serpentine pulley wrench and a cheap HF 17mm socket that a ground down to a "shorty" socket. Just can't torque it to spec. So I run it snug and a smidge more, never leaked. Posted pictures of it awhile ago.

• 3 weeks later...
Have any of you rebuilt the water pump. I cannot seem to find much on 2nd gen water pump rebuilds on here.

Gunny,

As I recall it's pretty strait fwd there is a mechanical seal right behind the water pump impeller. Then on the opposite side of the case there is an oil seal and a bearing. You would have to remove that side cover to get at all of it as there is a circlip that holds it in place.

Are you having issues with yours ?