IGNORED

Modifying an RSV to accept a RSTD backrest?

Buck_Roy

I wanted to ask if anyone has ever tried or considered modifying their RSV to make it like an RSTD?

I am looking at a used RSV, which the owner has modified with a "quick remove" bracket system that lets the trunk come off. When I looked at it I had the thought of being able to almost turn it into an Tour Deluxe, but still have a back rest for a passenger.

With the trunk taken off, does anyone know if it would be possible to outfit an RSV to accept the quick attach/remove sissy bar (with backrest) and luggage rack from a RSTD? (I don't know why, but for some reason that idea/possibility of being able to do that kinda cranks me up!)

I would think the Yamaha parts would fit an RSV, but that's just an assumption, I don't really know....

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

920shrek1 is a member here and has this done on his without any problems, i have seen it first hand

He has both options on his 2007 rsv

Thanks eusa1, I really appreciate the suggestion! I've sent him a PM, explaining and asking if he could possibly offer any suggestions/help with doing such a mod....really hoping to hear back from him!

My RSTD quick attach/remove sissy bar (with backrest) for your "quick remove" bracket system and trunk!

Well, that's a VERY kind offer 1joeranger,,,, :big-grin-emoticon: ,,,,,, but I think I'll keep trying to figure out how to be able to do a "two for one" setup. I think I really want to be able to have a "RSV/RSTD" hybrid bike!!

• 4 months later...
Thanks eusa1, I really appreciate the suggestion! I've sent him a PM, explaining and asking if he could possibly offer any suggestions/help with doing such a mod....really hoping to hear back from him!

Any updates on this?

Watching with interest.

I am thinking of what it would take also

Please post your findings

I found an add on ebay with a guy advertising Venture sissy bars, so I know products are out their. I am just curious if I can get a stock one to mount without fabrication. Bellow is the ebay add link. The photo in the add is close to the look I am shooting for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390576869181?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I accomplished something similar, only I have an RSTD that I wanted to mount a trunk on. What I found is, if you use stock hardware, they (trunk & backrest) are not readily interchangeable without a modification. At issue are the fender rails that the trunk bracket (RSV) and backrest (RSTD) attach to.

On an RSTD, there are 2 'pins' (one on each side) that the backrest locking mechanism mate up with. These pins are welded onto the rails. This is the same location that the RSV trunk mount front holes would bolt to.

In my case, since I wasn't really after the versatility of swapping between trunk & backrest, I opted to replace my RSTD fender rails with RSV rails, so everything bolted up just fine. I believe I read where others have cut off/removed the pins, tapped the holes and had threaded replacement pins machined, so they can interchange fairly easily.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Glenn

I accomplished something similar, only I have an RSTD that I wanted to mount a trunk on. What I found is, if you use stock hardware, they (trunk & backrest) are not readily interchangeable without a modification. At issue are the fender rails that the trunk bracket (RSV) and backrest (RSTD) attach to.

On an RSTD, there are 2 'pins' (one on each side) that the backrest locking mechanism mate up with. These pins are welded onto the rails. This is the same location that the RSV trunk mount front holes would bolt to.

In my case, since I wasn't really after the versatility of swapping between trunk & backrest, I opted to replace my RSTD fender rails with RSV rails, so everything bolted up just fine. I believe I read where others have cut off/removed the pins, tapped the holes and had threaded replacement pins machined, so they can interchange fairly easily.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn!

I will try to get to this over the weekend. I am hoping to make it so that I have the option of choosing to:225: use the trunk or sissy bar with less than a half days work to swap. As far as the cb I could do without .

Thanks Glenn!

I will try to get to this over the weekend. I am hoping to make it so that I have the option of choosing to:225: use the trunk or sissy bar with less than a half days work to swap. As far as the cb I could do without .

:225: I guess I better get the phone app if I am going to be posting from it......

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

Sorry it took so long and I do not have any photos but this looks to be pretty strait forward. The studs or rivets that the 99 venture has between the trunk mount bolts were all bolts on the 97 RSTD. It apeared that you would do as others have spoke about is remove the stud/rivets that line up with sissy bar mount and replace with bolts and probably a nut. Mayde when I have time and the parts I will do this and post photos.