IGNORED

1983 vr will not start cold with full battery

Unless you reeeely know how to use starting fluid properly...I would stay away from it. We've had many an engine come into our shop with broken rings or ring grooves. Just sayin.

Agree'd... Carb cleaner does an adiquate job and is much kinder to the internals....

I agree dont use starting fluid, use cab cleaner, maybe you have it flooded and the plugs are soaked with fule, I would take them out and check them and see if you are getting fire to the plugs. If you are then give it a try with carb cleaner if it starts then you got a fule problem.

Orlin

One thing i found is that the thicker oil run in summer months like a 10w40 or a 20w50 is so thick in the cold the engine has a hard time pumping it through . and the engine won't start til it will. try heating the oil pan a little with a heat and see if that helps. if not look to the other problems.:thumbsup2::detective:

Put a fresh set of spark plugs in it and odds are it will start right up. On my 83, the older the plugs get, the more finicky it gets to start. New plugs and it starts much better. Fresh plugs fire at a lower voltage than used plugs. Now my 89 starts great no matter how cold it is even with 20K on the plugs, but the 83 never did.

Frank D.

I run 20-50 in my 83 year round so I would not think it was the oil put a fresh set of plugs in it and charge the battery before you do anything else even if the plugs are fairly new.

When I go to start mine no matter the temps and I have started mine at 14 degrees F first of all dont touch the choke or gas hold the starter button till it hits the first time then add choke and it should start dont ask or think about it just try it.

This is the process to start my blonde and day of the year at any temp.

let us know if you get it running again or not.

Jeff

If you have never done a tune up on this bike, I would strongly suggest that you do it. Plugs, wires, and caps at minimum, also make sure all the battery connections are clean enough to eat off and tight, all of them, at the starter for the positive, on the engine block for the negative.

Muffin mentioned starting his bike, I can tell you that none of my 1st gens, and I have had 6 of them, started exactly the same, but all of them had to be choked no matter what the temperature. Others have mentioned the battery itself, if it's over 3 years old I would highly suggest getting a new one. I have had new batteries that were in the bike for less than 2 years just crap out. Have it load tested after it has been charged over night, these bikes are hard on batteries and very finicky with how much juice they want....:2cents:

I have had my 83 for almost 17 years and have put over 135,000 miles on it and as far as starting mine, it is just like miffinman said. The only thing I do different is to turn the ignition switch on and flip the kill switch off and on several times until the fuel pump slows down. I do not touch the throttle and will add choke as it starts to keep it running.

RandyA