IGNORED

Looking at 2003 Midnight Venture….good deal?

Buck_Roy

Hi,

I'm looking to get back to riding after a several year hiatus. I'm looking at a 2003 Venture, and wanted to ask if I could impose on the great members and RSV experts here to tell me if it sounds like a reasonable deal? And I also had a few quick questions about the RSV itself...

THE BIKE:

It's a 2003 midnight, with custom "silver zoned" paint (see the pics), in seemingly pretty much "like new" condition, and the seller is the original owner. It's got 51K miles, almost all open road miles. It seems to be "loaded", including: a TON of chrome, what seems to be just about every add-on piece of billet chrome Yammy offers, polished/chromed wheels, chromed and polished forks, Khrome Werks pipes, Barons lowering kit, upgraded stereo speakers, Jensen stereo power amp, extra rear lights for brake/running/turn signal. He has also added some kind of modification kit to be able to remove the rear trunk (and has an additional "solo seat") and has installed a secondary antenna hidden in the fairing. (again, see the pics. One of the pics was taken before the custom paint job)

I'm going to try to attach a couple of pics, 6 hopefully, and I hope I do this right!!

Can anyone suggest anything I should check on or make sure of with a 2003 RSV? Would this bike for $8000 be a reasonable deal?

QUESTIONS:

Ok, so while I'm imposing on everyone...a few RSV questions:

How expensive would it be to have the Barons lowering kit removed, and the bike returned to stock? How hard is it to do? I train with a few motor officers, am lucky enough to be allowed to join them on their obstacle course practice sessions, and I don't like the idea of giving up ground clearance. (I've been told that the Barons kit makes the RSV scrape a LOT easier.) I'm also 6'1", so I think the bike would fit me better without being lowered.

Has anyone here modified their RSV to "quick remove" the trunk? Does the RSV handle differently without the trunk?

With the trunk off, does anyone know if it would be possible to outfit an RSV to accept the quick attach/remove sissy bar (with backrest) and luggage rack from a RSTD? (I don't know why, but for some reason that idea/possibility of being able to do that kinda cranks me up!)

Is it possible to outfit an RSV with the short, "stubby" antenna like a lot of Harley riders do with their Ultras? The 2 antenna on the trunk, I mean? If so, how well do they work?

Thank you, all, for your patience...and a special thanks to anyone who might be willing to offer their thoughts!

THANKS!!!!! :fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by Buck_Roy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Barrons lowering kit:

If the owner has kept the original links, all you have to do is to swap them with the Barons links. That can be done in less than 1/2 hour (20 min if you have done it before).

You can leave the calliper relocation bracket on there. It is not in the way.

(Unless you are trying to sell the kit.) Else you can get some stock length made or,,, buy the "leveling links". And maybe someone here has stock length to sell.

On the Khromewerks:

If the owner has the stock mufflers, may ask for them too. You may or may not like the sound of louder pipes.

OK word of warning, these bikes are top heavy. Do not expect to be able to maneuver them like a Harley on an obstacle course! The Barons lowering kit actually helps them maneuver in parking lots better besides lowering the bike for vertically challenged individuals. TheRSV is designed to be a touring bike, and an extremely comfortable one at that!

The price, considering the detail and condition, is not unreasonable but not the deal of the century. There was a lot more aftermarket bling for the RSV that it does not have...

Guest tx2sturgis

I think the price is reasonable. Like bongobobny said, not the deal of the century.

The bike was around $18 grand new (in 2003) I believe. Plus the PO has added lots of goodies and a custom paint job.

Mileage seems attrractive at about 5000 (more or less) a year or so.

The stock OEM rear shock, if still on the bike, will probably be worn out, so check for signs of oil dripping from the bottom of the shock, or a squeaking sound coming from the rear when its cold and you sit on the bike. The fuel pumps seem to give a bit of trouble since we have to put crappy gas in our bikes now days. New OEM or aftermarket shocks can be between $500 and $800 or so, and a new OEM fuel pump will set you back about $250, although aftermarket units can be had for under $100.

If you ride it and the bike pops on deceleration, dont worry about that, we can tell you what to do about it.

There could be further maintenance items that are needing attention by now, such as the swingarm and steering stem, valve clearances, brake and clutch fluid changes, coolant changes, spark plugs, brake pads, etc.

So before you hand over any cash, either look over the service records or talk to him about these items.

Of course oil changes and tire changes are normal and not a lot of people keep records on those.

You can easily add an aftermarket set of stubby antennas, but dont expect them to work as well as the factory antennas, unless you add some really noticeable large fiberglass types.

These bikes are a good 'fit' for someone of your height...they have more legroom than just about any other touring bike out there, in stock trim. The newer Royal Stars also have plenty of power in stock form, so dont even think about engine mods for awhile(or ever) like the HD guys will be doing with any new bike. You just have to dig into the RPMs and be willing to rev it up some.

Seems like you’re pretty excited and they are good bikes, just do your homework!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Thanks to everyone who's offered their thoughts so far!

Thanks, I've found out that they're top heavy, especially at low speeds. But my cop buddies tell me that's even more reason to work them on the obstacle course! ;) They've warned me that an RSV can't be tossed around quite as sharply as a Harley Ultra, and they're already planning on how they will modify the course for the RSV.

The seller has records for all the services and modifications, all done at Yammy dealers. He offered this list of "mods" he's made, he says it comes to over $10K, but I'm not sure:

Accessories and Upgrades: Custom Paint, Custom Diamond-Cut Style Cylinder Fins, Custom Polished Front and Rear Wheels, Custom Polished Passenger Floorboards, Khrome Werks Slip-On Exhaust Pipes -- Additional work has been done on these pipes to emit slightly louder and deeper sounding exhaust note. Barons Rear Lowering Kit, Yamaha Billet Air Cleaner Covers with K and N Filters, Yamaha Chrome Metal Fender Tips, Yamaha Billet Mirrors, Yamaha Billet Alt. Cover, Clutch Cover, Water Pump Cover, Yamaha Chrome Battery Side Cover,s Utopia Driver Backrest -- Backrest was further customized and cut down to fit style of bike better while providing critical back support. Yamaha Wide/Shorty Windshield - Windshield was cut down by hand additional inches to provide sleeker, lower profile look, while still providing necessary wind/rain/bug protection. Yamaha Passing Lamps with Mounts, Yamaha Saddlebag Trim Rails, Yamaha Wide Leather Tank Panel, Yamaha Front Fender Trim Rail, Yamaha Billet Passenger FloorBoard Covers, Yamaha Billet Oil Filler Ca,p Yamaha Billet Motor Mount Cover,s Yamaha Billet Covers for Handlebar Reservoirs Yamaha Billet Clutch Bleeder Cover, Yamaha Chrome Master Cylinder Covers, Yamaha Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, Yamaha Chrome Trunk Rack, Yamaha Chrome Visors, Yamaha Billet Banjo Joint Covers, Yamaha Brake Pedal Cover, Yamaha Billet Fuel Tank Mount Covers, Yamaha Billet Carburetor Covers, Kuryakyn ISO Handlebar Grips, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss for ISO Grips, Kuryakyn Dually ISO Pegs with Clamps, Yamaha Cordura Trunk Rack Bag, Yamaha Trunk Liner Bag, Highway Hawk - Taillight Cover, Radiantz Clear Taillight Lens with Red LED Kit, Radiantz Clear Rear turnsignal lenses with amber LED Kits, Show Chrome Accessories - Front Caliper Covers, Genmar - Handlebar Risers, Diamond R Accessories Chrome Fork Lowers Deflector Kit, Anti-vibration Handlebar Filler, Harley Springer Front Fender Light, Aftermarket Alpine Front Speaker Upgrades, Aftermarket Jensen Power Amp, Fairing Hidden-Mounted Amplified Antenna.

OH, and any thoughts on the "trunk removal" ??? ;)

Edited by Buck_Roy

Guest tx2sturgis

Accessories and Upgrades: Custom Paint, Custom Diamond-Cut Style Cylinder Fins, Custom Polished Front and Rear Wheels, Custom Polished Passenger Floorboards, Khrome Werks Slip-On Exhaust Pipes -- Additional work has been done on these pipes to emit slightly louder and deeper sounding exhaust note. Barons Rear Lowering Kit, Yamaha Billet Air Cleaner Covers with K and N Filters, Yamaha Chrome Metal Fender Tips, Yamaha Billet Mirrors, Yamaha Billet Alt. Cover, Clutch Cover, Water Pump Cover, Yamaha Chrome Battery Side Cover,s Utopia Driver Backrest -- Backrest was further customized and cut down to fit style of bike better while providing critical back support. Yamaha Wide/Shorty Windshield - Windshield was cut down by hand additional inches to provide sleeker, lower profile look, while still providing necessary wind/rain/bug protection. Yamaha Passing Lamps with Mounts, Yamaha Saddlebag Trim Rails, Yamaha Wide Leather Tank Panel, Yamaha Front Fender Trim Rail, Yamaha Billet Passenger FloorBoard Covers, Yamaha Billet Oil Filler Ca,p Yamaha Billet Motor Mount Cover,s Yamaha Billet Covers for Handlebar Reservoirs Yamaha Billet Clutch Bleeder Cover, Yamaha Chrome Master Cylinder Covers, Yamaha Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, Yamaha Chrome Trunk Rack, Yamaha Chrome Visors, Yamaha Billet Banjo Joint Covers, Yamaha Brake Pedal Cover, Yamaha Billet Fuel Tank Mount Covers, Yamaha Billet Carburetor Covers, Kuryakyn ISO Handlebar Grips, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss for ISO Grips, Kuryakyn Dually ISO Pegs with Clamps, Yamaha Cordura Trunk Rack Bag, Yamaha Trunk Liner Bag, Highway Hawk - Taillight Cover, Radiantz Clear Taillight Lens with Red LED Kit, Radiantz Clear Rear turnsignal lenses with amber LED Kits, Show Chrome Accessories - Front Caliper Covers, Genmar - Handlebar Risers, Diamond R Accessories Chrome Fork Lowers Deflector Kit, Anti-vibration Handlebar Filler, Harley Springer Front Fender Light, Aftermarket Alpine Front Speaker Upgrades, Aftermarket Jensen Power Amp, Fairing Hidden-Mounted Amplified Antenna.

Wait, no wrist-popper leather fringe thingies?

Oh.... the guy just has NO taste.

I'd pass.

:D

Yeah tx2, some fringe is about all that's left to add!! My first Venture was an '04 Middie, and it had around $3k worth of accy's on it when I bought it. I've heard some folks say that you can't add the price of the accy's when you're looking at a bike, but I disagree. If YOU like the styling direction the p.o. went then that's $$'s that YOU are saving. From going thru another Venture purchase a few months ago myself, it seems like when these 2nd gens get around 10 yrs old they level out in price at around $6k-$8k, again, depending on miles and accy's. It all comes down to what you like, afterall, it's your $$'s you're spending. I'm really interested in what kind of "kit" he used to make the trunk detachable, I've always thought "bagger" would be a good look on the Venture. I haven't heard Khromewerks mufflers in person, but I had a set of Bub's with no packing on my '04 and they weren't obnoxiously loud. Welcome to the site Buck, keep us informed.

Thanks to everyone who's offered their thoughts so far!

Thanks, I've found out that they're top heavy, especially at low speeds. But my cop buddies tell me that's even more reason to work them on the obstacle course! ;) They've warned me that an RSV can't be tossed around quite as sharply as a Harley Ultra, and they're already planning on how they will modify the course for the RSV.

The seller has records for all the services and modifications, all done at Yammy dealers. He offered this list of "mods" he's made, he says it comes to over $10K, but I'm not sure:

OH, and any thoughts on the "trunk removal" ??? ;)

Just because he spent the $10k on modifications doesn't mean he will get that back.

Guest tx2sturgis
Just because he spent the $10k on modifications doesn't mean he will get that back.

Thirty two years ago, I was looking at buying a house. I remember this like it was yesterday.

One of the houses I was shown by the agent, had black and white, 12 inch, checkerboard shag carpeting in the living room.

I'm NOT kidding.

Black and white, SHAG carpeting in a checkerboard pattern!

I told the agent that I would expect a carpet allowance to even CONSIDER that property.

A few days later the agent called to inform me that the young couple was hurt that I insulted their choice of carpet, "what was wrong with it?" and they werent interested in me as a buyer anymore.

:puzzled:

Otherwise the house wasnt bad for the money.

But you NEVER can account for taste.:doh:

Guest scarylarry
they are from the factory but not everybody likes to keep them that way

Question then, if it is title as a midnight and from what I have seen they are in demand and sell for more than most around them years, wouldn't it lose value with a new coat of paint?

I think the bike is worth the money. But I love the paint job. Now we have all been told that from a sellers standpoint, we should never expect to get back what we have spent on accessories. From a buyers standpoint though, If I were buying a bike and knew that I wanted to add some or all of those things then they would certainly be worth something to me. If somebody has spent thousands on accessories that I would eventually add anyway and I was getting them already installed at a greatly discounted price, I would be all over it.

The other thing is that Yamaha has discontinued many of those items so you might have a hard time even finding some of them.

Beautiful bike. If you like it, GO for it. :thumbsup2:

It also has one accessory no one has mentioned ! I usually wouldn't pay more than NADA for a bike but in this case I would. The bike being a one owner, the mileage (he did ride it hasn't been sitting and rotting) all score extra points IMHO. Not sure about the trunk but as long as you get everything, I do like the look with and without it's :cool10: , I think it would be a great bike once properly restored to stock ride height or 1 inch higher in the rear with leveling links. Was the front lowered also ?

Other acc. Steve Wagner Grill

Thanks for the clips SilvrT, they DO sound good. They sound a little deeper than my Bub's did, and they've got that "cackle" when you let off too. I'm still kinda undecided about what I'm going to put on this one, might go with another set of modified H/D's like before. Gonna go do some swap-meeting in a couple of weeks to see what I can find.