Well, now that winter has gotten here and I need to think about getting some things done, I was wondering what others were planning on doing.

I am going to need to do some transmission work as it feels like I have lost the détente action in my transmission. I still have the spring action that will bring the shifter back to the middle, but I am having a problem finding neutral and feeling when it clicks in any gear. Several times I have put it in 1st and it came back out. I have also had the same problem with 5th after shifting and with very little load, it would slip back out.

I still have the other engine that has 30K miles on it that I put the 2002 Venture transmission in it, but it had some rust in one of the cylinders and I am not sure whether the engine is worth putting in. I just need to get motivated in getting something done.

RandyA

Randy, your problem might just be needing to replace the split and regular washers on the output end of your tranny axle at the middle gear end if it hasn't been done yet. When it wears it allows some more movement of the axle in the housing, not allowing the gears to mesh correctly. If that's already been done, not sure what the fix is!!

:fingers-crossed-emo

Let's see, I need to do the front forks, fix the rip in the seat, and pretty much fix every piece of plastic, as it's all either cracked and/or missing mounting parts, and generally looking ratty (colored duct tape can only help so much). Then once it's all looking nice, a new paint color in the spring when it's warm enough. Maybe a new radio/mp3 player combo w/speakers. Oh, yeah, need a new fuse box to replace those glass fuses too...

-Andrew

Lets see.I am trying to get mine started. When I do, I am going to bleed the clutch, change out the rear brake caliper and change all the pads.Then, I will fix my air system.I traded all my floor boards with Yamamike already.I have chrome disk covers to put on, chrome caliper covers to put on and rewire the lighting with relays.I have a beautiful Markland rear fender kit I have and I am undecided if I will use it.This bike has another kind of kit on it.

I have lots to do this winter.!!!:confused24:

I will be going threw the 92 greaseing everythinig that needs to be greased and fixing acouple of little things and replaceing the rear tire and a new windsheild. I dont have much to do to the 87 other than repair a couple of small cracks after replacing the engine this fall I dont have much to do to that one.

Then I will go threw the 2 84s and get them ready to sell in the spring, It will be sad to see the Black 84 go Sharon and I have put some fun miles on it and it got us back into riding again.

Orlin

After reading this I'm glad I have a 2nd Gen ! :rasberry:

Most of my list is also applicable to a 2nd gen. Its just harder with a 2nd gen. :rasberry::stirthepot:

I still have most of my list from last winter.

Between work and the winter that never happened, I kept riding and never got much done.

SO I still have to do;

Progressive front springs.

HO stator and regulator.

Install HID driving lights.

Find a place for 1,000+ LEDs.

4ga starter wires.

Expecting to need a new battery by spring, this one was in the bike when I bought it 5 years ago.

More lights on trailer.

Better cooler rack for trailer.

Louder horns than my 2 Bad Boys.

Paint side bag lid. Would like to repaint whole bike.

Get rid of all incandescent lights.

Clean up lots of wiring.

I'm sure there is more that I am not thinking of right now.

Most of my list is also applicable to a 2nd gen. Its just harder with a 2nd gen. :rasberry::stirthepot:

If it wasn't for Winter with snow, ice, and salt on the roads.... the only thing that makes it "harder with a 2nd gen" is the riding and not having to do so much maintenance !

My "list" in comparison :

- scheduled oil change (based on mileage)

- scheduled fuel filter change (based on mileage)

Bike is already on my Carbon One lift, Seafoam in the tank, air bled from shocks. What more is there that has to be done on a 2nd gen ? :scratchchin:

Just stirring the pot while bored at work.

I never understood why people put bikes away for the winter. Maybe in colder climates I can understand. Here in northeast TN I ride all year long. Even thru the winter I try not to leave it sit more than about 2 wks at a time between rides.

With any luck I'll be shooting paint this Friday. Still need a battery and windshield and my 1st gen may be on the road for the first time around Christmas or New Years. Just in time for winter.

I never understood why people put bikes away for the winter. ....

We've had a bit of snow that is still on the ground. Nothing major in the way of snow but current temperature is -3C/27F.

The cold isn't a big deal... you dress for it. But once they put salt and/or brine down on the road, I'm parked for the winter. Salt can really eat at the paint and aluminum and I'd like to keep my bike looking good for several years.

Keep in mind that the tires also don't grip as well when both the tires and asphalt are cold. Salted corners can make turning an experience.

I never understood why people put bikes away for the winter. Maybe in colder climates I can understand. Here in northeast TN I ride all year long.

I used to put away the bike when I lived in Jersey, but now in Virginia I'm like you...I ride all year long.

If it wasn't for Winter with snow, ice, and salt on the roads.... the only thing that makes it "harder with a 2nd gen" is the riding and not having to do so much maintenance !

My "list" in comparison :

- scheduled oil change (based on mileage)

- scheduled fuel filter change (based on mileage)

Bike is already on my Carbon One lift, Seafoam in the tank, air bled from shocks. What more is there that has to be done on a 2nd gen ? :scratchchin:

Just stirring the pot while bored at work.

Hmmmm, my 2nd gen list...

Progressive springs in front.

Replace wimpy front brake system witrh 14mm master cylinder and R1 Gold dot calipers.

Install auxillary Carbon1 gas tank and use my Carbon1 lift adapter.

Install new Flanders bar and longer throttle cables.

Replace spark plugs.

Oil change.

Replace driving lights with LED units.

Add more bling...

For me it's not even the snow or cold that gets the bike put away. It's the salt.

My lit, (first part stolen form a previous post)

HO stator and regulator.

Install HID driving lights.

Find a place for 1,000+ LEDs. (people are already starting to look at my lights funny)

4ga starter wires.

Remove all plastic and clean it and lube stuff.

Repair crack in saddle bag.

Change all fluids and filters.

Lube speedo when it's out for soldering. (HID headlight)

Clean and re-seat connections.

As for the second generation folks. :witch_brew: Let me know what you do to yours when it is 26 years old.

Well lets see, I hope to transfer the progressive fork springs from the 85 carcass to the 86.

I already have the Superbrace on.

Next is a new front tire.

After that I may change out my current HUGH fog lamps that look like they belong on a car from the 80's to some smaller more powerful led's that use less power and give off more light.:thumbsup2:

Well, since I just bought this bike about a month ago the first thing was to get in running and Pa inspected. The carbs were done, all fluids changed, new brakes front and rear, plugs, air filter etc. Now I am going to replace the plug wires, install some accessories I purchased, lighted front fender bumper, trunk lights, front rotor and caliper covers, repair a few plastic pieces, and repair that pesky thermostat cover leak and it will be ready for the spring. Depending on if I decide to keep this bike or not, maybe look into a trailer!

Edited by Hawg