IGNORED

New Chainsaw

Freebird

Well I got up early this morning and decided to get right on my "honey do" list. There were a couple of trees that needed cutting down, some trimming to do, some firewood to cut.

Pulled out my old Poulan Wild Thing chainsaw and began the always pain in the butt task of TRYING to get it started. Got it started and cut about half way through the first tree and it quit again. I then spend about an hour trying to get it started again. Wouldn't even start with starting fluid even though it has spark. I about wore myself out trying to get the stupid thing started and so.....off to the store.

I had already done a little research and had it narrowed down to either a Stihl or a Husqvarna. I had come to the conclusion that the Stihl was a slightly better saw but there is a Husqvarna dealer just down the road from me so I decided to give one a try.

I don't use a saw that much. Probably less than a cord of wood a year and some light trimming and etc. I almost spent the extra money and stepped up to the heavier duty farm and ranch model but instead, saved the cash and went with the best home use model that they had. It is a model 445 with 18" bar.

Got it home and it made quick work of the cutting that i had to do today. I just hope that it lasts for a few years and remains fairly easy to start. I'm getting old and don't like being worn out before I even get one started.

Husqvarna is ok but I would have gone with the stihl. I bought my stihl in 1989 with 28" and 18" bars I used too drop a fair number of trees and cut about 6-8 bush cord a year and to this very day even if I don't touch it for two years it fires up every time with just 2 or 3 pulls.

Well I got up early this morning and decided to get right on my "honey do" list. There were a couple of trees that needed cutting down, some trimming to do, some firewood to cut.

Pulled out my old Poulan Wild Thing chainsaw and began the always pain in the butt task of TRYING to get it started. Got it started and cut about half way through the first tree and it quit again. I then spend about an hour trying to get it started again. Wouldn't even start with starting fluid even though it has spark. I about wore myself out trying to get the stupid thing started and so.....off to the store.

I had already done a little research and had it narrowed down to either a Stihl or a Husqvarna. I had come to the conclusion that the Stihl was a slightly better saw but there is a Husqvarna dealer just down the road from me so I decided to give one a try.

I don't use a saw that much. Probably less than a cord of wood a year and some light trimming and etc. I almost spent the extra money and stepped up to the heavier duty farm and ranch model but instead, saved the cash and went with the best home use model that they had. It is a model 445 with 18" bar.

Got it home and it made quick work of the cutting that i had to do today. I just hope that it lasts for a few years and remains fairly easy to start. I'm getting old and don't like being worn out before I even get one started.

I bought 2 new saws this year out of necessity. We had a big wind storm come through and took out 8 trees plus damage to more and took out 250 foot of fence. I have a old Jonsered ( had it 25 years )that will start just about the time you give up, then runs great then getting it started again blah blah.

I had a choice of a Husqvarna or a Stihl, I bought a Stihl because of the local dealer closest to me. I bought the 460 for the big stuff but way to heavy ( for me ) to do the trimming with so I went back and bought a Stihl 180c for that been happy so far.

Husqvarna's are great saws or used to be along with others. I looked at the Echo line because of warranty 5 years but they seemed cheap made don't know never had one.

I've cut a lot of wood using a Husqvarna and Stihl, you should be good to go for a long time. http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtgOpAaz2hmiIUEVSlx7HAc1LdYJNKa3uR8Cyc54wL-P97F3WECQ

Stihl makes a good saw, I've had mine for a few years and it never fails to start.

When you have an old 2 stroke tool that won't start after trying " Everything" Pull the muffler off it and submerge it in seafoam or your favorite carbon dissolving solution for a couple days, agitate a few times a day then after a few days rinse it with HOT water and blow dry. Put it back on the tool with some fresh gas and try again, it should start. What happens is all those years of combustion plug up the muffler. You can rebuild carbs and fuel pumps till the end of days, but until the engine can breath it'll never start. I've gotten 5-6 weed whips out of the trash that wouldn't start till I cleaned the mufflers, then they run like new.

:thumbsup2:

I rented a chain saw one time. Cut down two trees.. took it back to the rental place and asked for my deposit back. Guy behind the counter said let me check it out first..

He pulled on a rope that was hanging on the side of it.

I jumped back and yelled...what is that noise???????????????? :confused24:

I rented a chain saw one time. Cut down two trees.. took it back to the rental place and asked for my deposit back. Guy behind the counter said let me check it out first..

Only in America they say!!!:think::whistling:

I'm a true believer in the Husqvarna. I bought the farm tough 20" after katrina for clean up. Dang what a saw. My brother-in-law brought his stihl by which was brand new, very good saw also but very heavy also had the 20" bar. I had a pretty aggressive chain on mine and was out cutting his stihl all week. By the middlle of each day, his arms would be killing him because of the weight. I told him he was just old....he's my age;alomost 50. So we traded off for a whole day. I was ready to change back after one day, good saw but heavy and the vibration was bad. He has since bought him a farm tough husqvarna. I'm a believer! :thumbsup:

I have a Poulan Wild thing, It has cut up dozens of trees.

Every Poulan anything that I ever had, the carbs were set WAY to lean.

Lean on a 2 stroke is starving it for oil and it will die quickly.

I have learned to just automatically reset the carbs on all 2 cycle tools, even name brand stuff is often off. Ods are the factory is at a different altitude than you are.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check the fuel filter in the gas tank and the fuel lines themselves. After so long the lines will start to deteriate and it'll start sucking air. Also primer bulb if it has one may have a pinhole. Don't ask me how I know this. I think chainsaws and string trimmers were invented just to aggravate the h--l out of the owner!

You know what they say about Poulan... you poul, an you poul, an you poul,....

But seriously Stihl and Husqvarna have been rated back and forth as #1 and #2 in the world for years. Both are excellent saws and comes down to personal preference and dealer support/availability. I personally have had fantastic luck with my Husky and from servicing both brands in my shop, I prefer Husqvarna for ease of service. I'm sure you will not regret your purchase.

Had a Poulan Wild Thing also,sold it for 50.00 cause I was done messing with it.But they did name it right at least.Chain tensioner kept working loose and chain would fly off,(poulan now makes a kit to put on a better tensioner).Pull rope broke many times,fuel line was too long and when it got warmed up the line would soften up and get pinched off.Got to where it would not idle.Don't know if anyone knows this but Poulan chainsaws are made by a company who makes sewing machines.Should have stuck with sewing machines I think.I bought an 18" Stihl and love it except for it is a bit heavy.But having gotten rid of the wood stove and getting a pellet stove I don't cut near as much wood as I used to and my back feels much better now in the winter time than it used to.

I have a 30 year old Craftsman chainsaw and I had to have it worked on this last year.

When I got it back, it worked perfect. The tech told me it will always work that way if at the end of use, for an extended time, I would empty the tank and then run the saw until it wouldn't start again, I would never pay for carb work again.

I'm trying and so far, no issues, but it's early on still.

Dave

So how does the Pull Lands land I assume that after you pull and pull you throw to get the land correct poulan. :stirthepot: I've never owned one.

I bought the stihl because of close local dealer and he made me a great deal especially on the second one.

I have a old McCullough (spelling) eager beaver that sets on a shelve bought at a yard sale needs to go back in one. My dad was a homelite man homelite zip when he died, that or nothing except he had a old David Bradley saw that I still have. I've used it a couple of times years ago.

heh ... my first time using a chansaw was also a rented one (I was about 18 and knew nothing then "about chainsaws") ... it had a manual oiler which I didn't know you had to use. ... Bucked up this big old log ... burnt the bar bad LOL .... the rental shop was PO'd!

I didn't throw the Poulan but I sure came close. I will mess with it later and hopefully get it running and then have it for a spare maybe. I can tell you though, on it's best day it wasn't nowhere near as good as this new Husky.

Save yourself the aggreviation and buy a Sthil 192 TC or Husky equalivant.

When... you get your new Husky stuck/pinched in the wood you will need another to get it out.

The 192 is a trimming saw, excellent for anything under 4" although it will cut a lot bigger as it has a 12" bar.

nice thing about it is, it's a small saw and very very light... excellent for doing branches(why do small branchs with a heavy saw)

AEP uses them alot. So do I.