IGNORED

Ford Explorer

Sideoftheroad

What explorer? There have been at least 4 platforms.

We had a 1997 4x4 Mercury Mountaineer (Mercury version of the Explorer). V6, Solid rear axle, almost indestructible. Almost because turning left into J.C. Penny in front of oncoming traffic will destroy it. Mileage so-so. Had about 180K on it when totaled. Decent performance, even towing a boat.

Replaced it with a 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD (Aviator is the Explorer with lots of bells and whistles). V8 engine, independent rear suspension, requires 91 octane fuel. Accelerates like a 1st Gen. Gets 17mpg on a good day. Love the vehicle (155K miles on it) but can't afford to drive it.

Recently bought the daughter a 2003 Explorer 4X4. V6, independent rear suspension. Runs on regular gas, don't know mpg. Daughter loves it. Same vehicle as the Aviator except for all the bells and whistles.

There is the new Explorer. It's a unibody vehicle. Sure it gets better fuel economy than the earlier models, but I want my trucks to have a full frame.

I would not have the V8 in the platform again. Between the poor mileage and the requirement for premium fuel it's actually cheaper to drive my full size Yukon.

Edited by MiCarl

Oh, one other thing: We buy used. Bought the 97 Mountaineer in '04 and drove until Dec. '10. Not a speck of rust. Bought the 04 Aviator in Dec. 10 with 145K on it, not a spec of rust (even underneath). Bought the 03 Explorer in July with 95K on it, no rust anywhere. Also never seen rust on anyone else's either.

We keep vehicles a long time. Mechanical stuff can be repaired, but rust always wins. That's the main reason we keep going back to the "Explorer" platform.

Anyone have one or have owned one in the past? Besides gas mileage, likes/dislikes?

I currently own an 2002 Explorer Sport Trac

Great little truck, 4x4 does about 22 mpg on the hwy. Super strong, & handles off road nicely.

The only con I have is that as an EXPLORER UHaul will not rent me any trailers because of the old Firestone/rollover issues. Although they will rent to an IDENTICAL Mercury Mountaineer owner, even thought ALL Explorers 2001 & up were totally changed.

The way I worked around it is I took off all the Explorer badges & I have 2 Ranger badge with magnets which I attach when I rent. I guess you could do the same with Mountaineer badges.

I had a 1994 Explorer Sport (2 door manual) and a 2002 Explorer LTX.

Both were great SUV's.

At 150k miles, the 2002 was holding it's own but starting to need work.

(They did have a goof on the 2002 and others that had the same rear window, with the attached body panel. 90% cracked after warranty.)

I was going to get a 2011 (new style) but the price got stupid so I got a Hyundai Santa Fe, fully loaded for a lot less (made in GA). It's a great vehicle, but not as stout as the new Explorers.

Also inherited my brothers 2000 which I gave to a daughter. Over 270k miles before she took it snorkling.

The dealer is closed today so I went and saw the '07. Really nice. I pulled the vin and did one if those free vin checks. It is a 4.0L V6. The only negatives I saw besides the price and mpg was it won't be too long before it needs new tires and I think it is a class II hitch. I want the bigger hitch, but that can be exchanged out. On price that's why you haggle but I think they are over by 2500k as a asking price and as far as the tires go, they came to me about the car because they know I am looking. I think they should throw in a set of tires.

Apparently the '06 is sold. Drove on that dealers lot. It is no where in sight and it is no longer on their website which is strange that it disappeared on a Sunday when they are not open.

The 6 chlinder has sufficient power for the vehicle. My other brother had an older V8 and said it was not needed, just more gas.

I towed my 5x10 trailer across country several times with my 2002 V6. Drops the gas from 18 to 14mpg.

A salesman or lot owner may have taken the other one home for the weekend. Might see it Monday.

(I went to a Carmax lot to buy a particular Explorer and got there to see a family drive it off. Oh, Carmax will insult you on your trade,,, just saying. I prefer to haggle and save. Carmax likes sheep, not horse traders.)

On towing, towing packages include more than the hitch. I think the package includes better transmission cooling for distance. And I do think that can be added aftermarket too. Check a transmission shop.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Have a 2000 Mountaineer. It is an explorer with more bells whistles and leather.

It gets about 13-14 MPG with the V8. My full size GMC Xcab, 4x4 long box bigger engine gets 17-18 MPG

It has 105K miles and always seem to have something wrong with it.

fuel pumps, egr valves, electrical gremlins are constant, usually bad solder joints on PCBs.

Every body panel is rusted through.

It no longer has an emergency brake because neither the dealer nor aftermarket can get the parts.

I guess I never did like ford products.......

Anyone know of a good GM or GMC forum that has great folks like this one? I found a GMC owner forum but it seem ran by GM as I saw responses like have you seen your dealer for that...You know it's ran by the manufacturer when you get a response like that. On this board it is more like here's how to fix it and avoid the dealer or mechanic.