IGNORED

Jet kit for 28mm Mikuni Tour Classic 1998

StarFan

Well, since I have the bike pretty much apart in my garage for general maintenance and cleaning after the riding season I have decided to do some needed work on it. Have ordered a rebuild kit for the clutch and want to pull the carbs and adjust the floats and rejett them.

Now I have no idea what kind of a jet kit I should buy. I can only see one kit offered for the 28 mm Mikuni and that is a stage 1 kit. There are no sizes for the jets listed and I do not know what size the original jets are. I would like to go all the way and open up the airbox and put a K&N filter in.

Is there anybody here that has done this to a 28 mm Mikuni (1996 to 2001 model Royal Stars excluding the Venture).

Any info and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best regards from Iceland,

Jonas.

Thanks for the tip :)

Thinking about going for the 22.5 Pilot Fuel Jet and 115 Main Fuel Jet. Don´t want to go with the BigFoot and install an K&N filter. Read an test article about filters and these are never going into my bike. Here is the article: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Any thoughts regarding this jet setup would be very much apreciated.

Ride safely,

Jonas

Edited by StarFan
Adding info

Hey Jonas,

Since an increase in combustion is what you are looking for, (I am assuming here. of course) and MORE combustion is created by introducing more FUEL and AIR into the combustion chamber, then enlarging the Main and Pilot Jets of your Tour Classic, and NOT allowing MORE Air into the combustion chamber at the same time is not really going to give you much of a power increase. Besides fouled plugs and sooted up tailpipes, raw gas washing the protective oil coating off of the cylinder walls is going to do a lot more harm that some micro-particles of dirt passing thru a high flow air filter. (in my humble opinion) Atomized fuel is a ratio of air and gas, period. If you increase one without increasing the other, you have upset the ratio, and are not going to get the desired results. (If indeed you are looking for more power) Your smaller Carb. Set on your Tour Classic has absolutely NO problem dumping a LOT of fuel into the engine, It's the amount of AIR that can be moved thru the Carb. Body that restricts this engine from it's full potential. That's why you put the larger Carb. Set from the RSV on your other (USA) bike. You got it right on that one, my friend. If you are going to stay with the smaller RSTC Carb. Set, and the stock Air Cleaner, then re-jetting you bike past one step up, (because Yamaha does run these bikes a bit lean) would be like "putting lipstick on a pig!" Remember a blown dragster runs absolutely NO Air Filter on the engine because Horse Power is what is desired in that case. Tuning an engine is a compromise between Performance and engine longevity. The more power you demand from the engine, the shorter the lifespan will be. Because your entire Country is the size of Cleavland, OH, do you really think you are going to miss the few thousand miles you will skim off the life of your motor by installing a High Flow Air Filter? I think not. If you wear that RSTC out "Touring" Iceland, then I am sure there be a rut in the right lane of the highway. Hey isn't that like NASCAR?!?! Go like crazy, right turn! Go like crazy, right turn! Etc, etc. :crackup:

You basically have two choices Jonas, either increase the air flow, (put the K&N filter on, and stop being a "sissy") re-jet the Carbs. and put a smile on your face! Or, leave the Carbs. alone, go for a ride, and put the smile on your face! Either way, you're a winner!

:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks for the tip :)

Thinking about going for the 22.5 Pilot Fuel Jet and 115 Main Fuel Jet. Don´t want to go with the BigFoot and install an K&N filter. Read an test article about filters and these are never going into my bike. Here is the article: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Any thoughts regarding this jet setup would be very much apreciated.

Ride safely,

Jonas

Please don't tell my work truck about the K&N filters it has had one since new day one. It's the first thing I change it has 678,535 miles on it still running strong just got back with it a few minutes ago. Everything I own has a K&N in it if it will fit including the lawn mowers. :buttkick:

Hey Jonas,

You basically have two choices Jonas, either increase the air flow, (put the K&N filter on, and stop being a "sissy") re-jet the Carbs. and put a smile on your face! Or, leave the Carbs. alone, go for a ride, and put the smile on your face! Either way, you're a winner!

:thumbsup2:

Earl

All true Earl but,,,,,I will actually be increasing the airflow by removing the "air deflector" like described in the article. I can also do the following to increase the airflow like described in the article:

"For Level 2, (doing) the "two inch" filter hole match then you should be starting in the vicinity of a Mikuni 105 -110 main fuel jet and a Mikuni 22.5 pilot fuel jet".

That is: increasing the airflow inlet hole to 2 inches to match the intake of the stock airfilter. The stock inlet hole is about 1 1/4 inch in diameter if I remember right.

So the question is: Wouldn´t that be a sufficient increase of the airflow without going with the K&N filter ?

What are your thoughts about this Earl. I am no expert on this issue - just trying to gather as much info as possible from different sources to be able to do the right thing.

Best regards from Iceland,

Jonas

From a guy that has tried every combination of carb setup on his V-Max. Please visit the http://www.vmaxforum.net/ for carb info. Once you start messing with your jets and your mixture, there is no going back unless you have a oxygen sniffer.

I recommend for now just checking float heights and looking at the diaphrams for any small cracks. Also check your boots and airbox for tightness. Minor housekeeping like that provides recovered power. Also do the 'shotgun' or "pea shooter" procedure.

As far as your clutch, if you don't have a ton of miles on it, just bleed your clutch line. Just trying to save you some buck$. The V4's are bullet proof and need minimal off season servicing.