IGNORED

Newbie with carb question

Hello everyone! I am a proud new owner of a 1997 Tour Deluxe. Clean bike with only 24,000 miles. Previous owner had not ridden the bike in a couple years and according to him he was having carbs issues when he decided to sell it. Told me he had a mechanic come to his home, pull and clean the carbs?? The bike did start easily when I went to check it out, due to the weather, time of day and not being familiar with the area I did not take it for a test ride. I did ride it onto the trailer to bring it home.

Now the bike will start and run with full choke, no matter how long I let it warm up it will not run without full choke. Driving down my local rural road it will come up to speed, but does not run smoothly and has some decel popping, not sure how much of this popping is caused by having the choke on? I have some motorcycle carb experience, I have removed and cleaned the carbs on numerous 1100 Honda Shadows and 1100 V Stars, but I have never done anything on a 4 cylinder bike.

1) how hard is it to pull the carbs on this bike

2) any tricks I should know that will save me time and headache

3) anything I should watch out for when pulling the carbs..like springs or screws and such that can pop off or fall out

4) last but now least....Do I really need to pull the carbs??

First thing to try would be a good dose of Sea Foam in the fuel. It may not solve all the issues but it will help a LOT on cleaning out any grunge than is clogging the needles and jets.

Some have had extremely good results with this product on bikes that have been neglected. Myself included.

Always a good step before pulling the carbs. And even doing a carb sync will help with popping and smoothness.

Worth a shot. And welcome to the site.

:2BLUE:

Mike

echo that, I would pull as a last resort. Drain gas, add all fresh gas with full dose of seafoam. Run a bit to let it soak in and do its job. Park and repeat a few tanks. Chances are you will see it clear up. It needs to soak because it's the low idle jets that are clogged, small.

Its almost a requirement with these bikes to buy the " CarbTune Tool " to Sync the

carb Throttle linkage adjustments.

These bikes are very sensitive to keeping the carbs Synced !!

Ditto: the above, advice of complete Draining tank. ( I would also, drop out the petcock, and clean the screen in the petcock. )

Don't forget to Replace the Fuel Filter !!!! Yours is OLD, needs replacement !!!

Also, ANY, " Intake " Air leaks on this engine, will cause trouble !!! Check the clamps above and below the Carbs, make sure everything is " in place " and the Clamps are doing a good job of sealing

How much sea foam do you gentlemen put into a full tank? Is it ok to run this stuff all the time as a p.m.? Thanks

If the fuel is fresh and the system is clean it don't take a lot to a full tank for regular running as a preventive measure. I'd use an ounce to a full tank every third or forth time I fill up. I ride every day so I don't worry about it to much. If you only ride once a month a little more will keep things cleaned up.

Keep in mind that when using the Sea Foam for cleaning buildup that as it breaks down residue and gunge that burns onto the plugs on it's way out of the systen and it will foul the plugs in time.

Like when I store the bike for winter I dose the full tank with about half a can of Sea Foam. In the spring I burn off that tank and then the next one also. Then I replace the plugs with fresh and I'm good for the season again.

Mike

For a bike that has been sitting I would fresh gas and a full can, drive or run and soak off and on until the tank is gone. If it isn't fix'd try another can. You will need to change plugs after the full treatment. Then an ounce here and there is good pm. The carb sync is also very beneficial and you can no doubt find someone close with a tool and experience. Make sure to inspect hoses for signs of cracking. Please post pictures of what you find or have questions about and keep us posted as to your results.