IGNORED

help installing new shock

Need a bike lift just to take pressure off the bolts. This may have to be lowered and lifted ever so slight to get bolts out. Reverse is the same.

Nothing needs to be removed to get at the bolts and remove the shock.

Careful the heads of the bolts are not that thick a socket or wrench may slip or strip the head easily.

Brad

Guest tx2sturgis

Nothing needs to be removed to get at the bolts and remove the shock.

Well I disagree.

Taking the seat off allows you to unhook the upper vent line near the battery and its easier to remove the filler tube valve.

Taking both sidecovers off and the small curved cover under the right side passenger footboard allows easier access to the shock bolts.

Taking the rear wheel off isnt required, but its easier to get at the lower components if you do.

Yes, a lift is mandatory, and be sure to clean and grease all the bushings before reassembly.

Well I disagree.

Taking the seat off allows you to unhook the upper vent line near the battery and its easier to remove the filler tube valve.

Only if he has a vent line, early models did not have them.

Seriously I changed a couple and don't remember removing anything. Oh well you won't get lost. Not that hard to figure out. :rotf:

Brad

John, I just changed mine last weekend. I had mine on the lift to remove the rear tire,I was going to check splines away. Removing the is seat is good in removing the filler valve and the vent line like they mentioned. The nuts on the bolts are like they say, easy to strip. I had to cut one off and replace.

Not too bad of a job.

Perry

The only think I took off was the right side passenger floorboards, used needle nose vise grips to hold the nuts in place. It would have been a lot easier to take off the seat and even more if I had taken out the battery box. I did put a shim under the rear right of the jack to allow the bolt to slide out unencumbered it took less than an hour to do.