IGNORED

I'm Windows Free!!!

meach

So after a not very painful process I got rid of MS Windows:) on both my laptop (HP with Vista) and my netbook (MSI with XP) and have moved on to Linux (Mint w/ Cinnamon on my laptop and Olicloud on my netbook). I might try some other desktop interfaces but pleased with my current setup, will give me some things to do this winter in case its cold and rainy. Everything running smoothly and faster. Now to go back and refresh my memory on all the unix/linux commands so I can play around in a terminal window.

Only problem I haven't found an EASY linux solution for was updating the maps on my Garmin Zumo 550 (no linux support at Garmin) but I can use my wifes MAC for that as needed.

Currently using Shotwell to organize over 10,000 photos in my spare time.

Guest tx2sturgis

COOL! Welcome to the Dark Side! No more viruses!

I'm pleased...and have you looked at WINE? I have not done a lot with it, and I dont know if it will work with Garmin.

There is also Virtual Box. Its also free, and it does work, but on my modest processor its kinda slow.

But it lets you use Windows OS as a guest OS under Linux. So you can load up anything that works on Windows, if you need it.

Linux is like the Mac computers, it doesnt 'halve' what you can do, it doubles what you can do!

:happy34:

...and have you looked at WINE? I have not done a lot with it, and I dont know if it will work with Garmin.

There is also Virtual Box. Its also free, and it does work, but on my modest processor its kinda slow.

:happy34:

Have played a little with Wine, run an old WIN graphics program with it that I have (Paint Shop Pro). From what I read Garmin doesn't play well with Wine (which is ironic because the from what I read the software on the Garmin is linux based. Plan on messing around with it more later.

Will probably try virtual box sometime just for the heck of it, don't really need it. Have more time to waste now trying out different things since I've retired.

I'm in the process of installing a media server installation of linux on my re-purposed media server, wanna come visit me? watch anything I have on the server from your computer! lol

Many years ago tried setting up an apache server on an old hand me down desktop playing around with linux. Didn't really serve a purpose other than learning linux, didn't have the easier resources of the internet like today. Got frustrated with not having enought time and eventually shelved it, the hardware became so obsolete (but it worked:)).