IGNORED

Lubbock Area Meet-n-Eat? (nice little lake here)

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Would there be any interest in a Lubbock area meet and eat?

I'm thinking that maybe we could put together a small Venture gathering at Buffalo Springs Lake, if anyone is interested.

April or May might be a good time to shoot for. Just trying to get an idea of the interest level. This small lake offers camping, fishing, swimming, and boating, suitable for small inflatable boats and/or innertubes, all the way up to watercraft and powered boats, if someone wants to bring some water toys behind an RV...

http://www.buffalospringslake.net/

There are also a few things to do in Lubbock, a short distance away, including some great restaurants and even the Buddy Holly Museum.

There are some interesting roads in the area, mostly to the east, but also, to the north around Lake McKenzie and Palo Duro Canyon.

But I think the focus of a gathering like this would be at Buffalo Springs lake itself.

If this thread dies with only 2 responses then I guess thats the answer. But hey, you never know unless you ask!

:cool10:

i'm interested. The company I work for is headquartered in Lubbock and since I haven't seen my boss in 3 yrs. this ride would could give me a chance to do two things. Stop and say hello, I'm still alive, then ride to meet and eat with some great people. Depending on the dates, I'll be there. Have to have notice since I'm a one man operation and have to set up someone to come in and work for me.

Shamue.

Would there be any interest in a Lubbock area meet and eat?

I'm thinking that maybe we could put together a small Venture gathering at Buffalo Springs Lake, if anyone is interested.

April or May might be a good time to shoot for. Just trying to get an idea of the interest level. This small lake offers camping, fishing, swimming, and boating, suitable for small inflatable boats and/or innertubes, all the way up to watercraft and powered boats, if someone wants to bring some water toys behind an RV...

http://www.buffalospringslake.net/

There are also a few things to do in Lubbock, a short distance away, including some great restaurants and even the Buddy Holly Museum.

There are some interesting roads in the area, mostly to the east, but also, to the north around Lake McKenzie and Palo Duro Canyon.

But I think the focus of a gathering like this would be at Buffalo Springs lake itself.

If this thread dies with only 2 responses then I guess thats the answer. But hey, you never know unless you ask!

:cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis
I might maybe get my kids to come too? Not sure that's what you are aiming for though.

Maybe if you promised demos/rides of your Ural? :thumbsup:

Dave

For the right amount of money, anything is possible, comrade!

:smile5:

I'm thinking that a family event would be the way to go...the lake has a swimming area that is a magnet for the kiddos, but that early in the year, the water is still pretty cool. There is marina area where there was a diner with a bar...but I believe it has been closed for awhile..not sure if it will be open by springtime or not.

If we get a few more responses I will make a few phone calls to see about setting something up.

Guest tx2sturgis

Getting a few takers...this is good.

I'm kinda surprised that the local response from the Amarillo area is lacking. Oh well.

One thing I want to mention is that the Buffalo Lake area is the site of several triathlons in the spring and summer.

http://buffalospringslaketriathlon.com

Some of the smaller events take place on say, Sunday, and are over by noonish. But the larger events can run 2 entire days on a weekend.

This makes for some interesting visitors and atheletes in the area, but also means the traffic around the lake might be a bit heavy.

I have worked as a volunteer during the events, and its a lot of fun....but I have also camped at the lake when its quiet, so either way, its enjoyable.

As a side note, during the road course of the triathlon, the atheletes are riding bicycles on a course that can cover up to 56 miles. This is after a swim of up to 1.2 miles, and before a run of up to 13 miles. Volunteers are used for spotting, rescue, and first-aid/rehab. It turns out that motorcycles are pretty handy as spotting vehicles, since we can talk directly to an athelete as they ride the course, within the same road lane, to assess conditions that require the cyclist to rest or be removed from the race.

Of course this has nothing to do with the possibility of a meet and eat, but just thought I'd mention it, since the area actually has a place in the triathlon circuit.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/

:happy34:

In case its relevant, the lake has plenty of paved roads, and flat, safe, areas for motorcycles. There are camping areas with trees and picnic tables. Showers are nearby, and there are convenience stores a short ride from the gate.

There is even a road that goes all the way around the lake, that can be ridden in probably 20 minutes or less, and has some nice, slow roads and interesting scenery. There are houses built along the shoreline, and vary from older mobile homes to some VERY expensive, modern homes. Its a mix of society, from beer swigging blue-collar dudes in cheap john-boats to doctors, lawyers, and business owners cruising the small lake, sipping champaign, and riding in expensive power boats.

Of course, Lubbock itself has plenty of motels: you can figure on a 15-20 minute ride from the lake to the decent rooms. The 'Depot District near downtown Lubbock has several niteclubs and restaurants, mostly catering to a younger Texas Tech crowd after about 9PM or so.

If you like to people watch, this is the place.

Holiday weekends are VERY busy at the lake, camping is at a premium, and the traffic and partying is at a high level, so we should probably avoid three-day (holiday) weekends.

But still, it might be fun to have a small gathering if we can figure out the right date.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Sure is a boring ride to Lubbock but I am always interested in riding another direction, so I'll be there depending on the days of the week this thing goes. I prefer April versus May as May is already too hot, windy and dusty. May even fire up the ole MH and pull my rider out there. Count me in.

As long as it is not the last week in April count me in. Son is getting hitched that weekend. Hmmm meet an eat or wedding. Guess I had better go to wedding to keep peace in the family.Daughter lives in Lubbock so I am good as far as a [place to stay.:fatsmiley:

• 2 months later...