IGNORED

New York 2013 Trip Planning

Prairiehammer

I am planning a 'sickle trip for next summer. We plan to ride from Illinois to Niagara area then to Adirondacks, Vermont, Quebec, Maine, New Brunswick, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, etc. and back home. About 3500 miles. We plan to camp every night except if it is raining or very cold, then Mom and Pop motels are preferred.

I have obtained state highway maps from all the states we will be riding through except for New York. I've spent considerable time online trying to get an official state highway map from New York, but the links to "obtain a state highway map" return a 404 error. I sent away to the "I Love New York, Division of Tourism" in Albany via snail mail, but the letter returned as "not deliverable as addressed" even though that address was on their website. Researching the New York governmental website was a waste of time; kept referring me to same dead link. Registered with the I Love Yew York website and requested travel information, thinking that New York, like all the other states I had requested tourism information, would send along a state highway map, but no. I received a fifty page glossy travel guide, with nary a map.

So my question/favor to those New York residents: would you obtain a New York state highway/road map and mail it to me? Does NY offer free road maps at their border Welcome Centers? Does New York have Welcome Centers?

Thanks.

Edited by Prairiehammer

Thanks, Jonas. But I want a paper map to carry on the bike. I have done extensive route planning on the Harley Ride Planner and Google Maps, but I need a folding map for the trip.

I don't own (or want) a laptop and/or smart phone.

New York doesn't want me to come and explore, I guess. "Just keep moving, there's nothing here. Move along."

Sounds like a fabulous trip Kevin. Last year I got a map of New York State from AAA. It is a pretty good map (the scale is 11 miles/inch) that show a bunch of additional info of interest such as campgrounds, rest area facilities, and scenic routes and it is available free to AAA members. If you have no luck elsewhere, I could mail my map to you.

New York doesn't want me to come and explore, I guess. "Just keep moving, there's nothing here. Move along."

O.K. but sorry I donæt have a map - I use GPS most of the time.

But by all means don´t skip NY State. I have done a road trip there two times and I was pleasantly surprised. This state is so beautiful and there are many roads and towns that are very nice. I always tkae the country roads and stay away from the interstate. Have spent some time in Woodstock where I have good friends and that town just stole my heart. Also close to Woodstock is Phoenecia, a very cosy town and the list goes on and on. Also I am told that upstate NY is breathtaking - never been there but plan to in the not so faraway future. Oh,,,,and if you are visiting Niagara Falls then Big Toms town, Alden is close by. A very nice town and Tom can sometimes also be quite nice - he´s usually pretty good on Thursdays

Go for it !

Ride safe.

Jonas

O.K. but sorry I donæt have a map - I use GPS most of the time.

But by all means don´t skip NY State. I have done a road trip there two times and I was pleasantly surprised. This state is so beautiful and there are many roads and towns that are very nice. I always tkae the country roads and stay away from the interstate. Have spent some time in Woodstock where I have good friends and that town just stole my heart. Also close to Woodstock is Phoenecia, a very cosy town and the list goes on and on. Also I am told that upstate NY is breathtaking - never been there but plan to in the not so faraway future. Oh,,,,and if you are visiting Niagara Falls then Big Toms town, Alden is close by. A very nice town and Tom can sometimes also be quite nice - he´s usually pretty good on Thursdays

Go for it !

Ride safe.

Jonas

Thank goodness today is Thursday...................................:duck:

Don't forget to check out the finger Lakes. Hammonds Port is the #1 small town in the USA. Also Watkins Glen is a great place to visit. And don't forget to check out Skaneateles,oh and all the great wineries and breweries....as for Big Tom?...I've never know him to be in a good mood on any day of the week....He just a grumpy old man:whistling:

Yup! I can send you an AAA map as well!! For that matter, I can provide a few other things mentioned about NY like Winery tour maps, etc! Be sure to look us up when you are in the western side of the state! I am retired so I would be glad to give you a tour of the area as you come thru.

What month are you coming? Big Tom is putting on his regional rally in August...

Every state I enter, will stop at their welcome center and get a map. Sometimes you have to ask an attendant for one, but have only found one state down south that stopped giving them out.

Also have a Garmin with lifetime maps for $150 that is suction cupped to inside of windshield. Carry a large ziploc baggie in case of rain. Use it when going thru the cities to get into the right lane and for that fact alone is a must have for me.

Good luck on the trip!

Thanks for the offer Big Tom and for all the other replies and suggestions.

I have planned a pretty ambitious trip with a goal to add 10 states and provinces to my map. Unfortunately, this means there is not a lot of spare time to explore what all the states have to offer. A trip to New York state alone could be a full two week tour. The map will be used to find the back roads from Four Mile Creek State Park near Niagara to Old Forge, NY and then on to Stanstead, QC by way of Adirondack SP, Au Sable Chasm and Rouses Point.

A few days later, I will use the map to plan a route from Camden Hills SP, Maine to Delaware Water Gap, skirting NYC (by as wide a margin as possible).

Edited by Prairiehammer
corrected the number of states to notch up

Just don't count on eating Icecream in New York. For some reason there is always a shortage of the stuff in that area. I understand some big guy eats it ALL as soon as it becomes availble.:cry::cry::cry: :cry::cry::cry:

Rumors all rumors....thats only true in Western New York :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :essen_024:

Yah!! Avoid NYC like the plague!!!!!

That goes for north eastern NJ!!! If you what to go across the Delaware water gap come back across NY on the 17 west and drop into NJ from around High Point. Then down along the Del river. You do not want to ride through NJ City or Newark.

That goes for north eastern NJ!!! If you what to go across the Delaware water gap come back across NY on the 17 west and drop into NJ from around High Point. Then down along the Del river. You do not want to ride through NJ City or Newark.

I planned to ride across northern Connecticut, entering New York near Kingston and continuing to Port Jervis. Sound OK?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=203185958368302937986.0004cd77100ba2304ed09

If you decide to head for the Canadian side of the Niagara area, let me know what you would like to see. I know the area quite well and would be happy to help you cut through the usual touristy B.S. to see what's worth seeing. I'm a reasonably good tour guide and we usually keep our ice cream hidden from Western New Yorkers ... just in case!

Andy

Looks like you're camping on the lake with the long ars name that means something like "you fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, nobody fishes in the middle." in Webster, Ma. There are music shows at the campground I'm thinking of that has some great shows at good prices. I remember the name being "Indian Ranch". When you doing this ride, PM me , I could meet you at Ct/Ny line and ride along to the campground. later

Edited by jonesy
spelling

If your planing on just running across the states with little stopping I would recommend that you travel across NYS on the NYS Thruway (90) to 87 then head North to Lake Champlain cross there into VT. There is a ferry at Port Kent that will connect you to route 2 in VT then across Vermont and New Hampshire (great riding and awesome scenery) to Maine then turn south split between Big and Little Lake Sebago turn South West toward Ma. take 95 south hop onto 495 south MA (93, 95, 128 big waste of time but sometimes faster to the next point) to 95 south next into Rhodie Island across to CT heading west (95) out around NYC turn South west toward PA in PA somewhere (95?) and you should be able to hit both NJ and Maryland on your way south.....

Looks like you're camping on the lake with the long ars name that means something like "you fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, nobody fishes in the middle." in Webster, Ma. There are music shows at the campground I'm thinking of that has some great shows at good prices. I remember the name being "Indian Ranch". When you doing this ride, PM me , I could meet you at Ct/Ny line and ride along to the campground. later

Jonesy:

Actually I am coming from Maine to Webster, MA. From Webster, dropping down into Rhode Island and then heading west along northern Connecticut to New York and then Delaware Water Gap. I haven't finalized which campground near Webster we'll be staying, although the Indian Ranch campground is looking good.

If your planing on just running across the states with little stopping I would recommend that you travel across NYS on the NYS Thruway (90) to 87 then head North to Lake Champlain cross there into VT. There is a ferry at Port Kent that will connect you to route 2 in VT then across Vermont and New Hampshire (great riding and awesome scenery) to Maine then turn south split between Big and Little Lake Sebago turn South West toward Ma. take 95 south hop onto 495 south MA (93, 95, 128 big waste of time but sometimes faster to the next point) to 95 south next into Rhodie Island across to CT heading west (95) out around NYC turn South west toward PA in PA somewhere (95?) and you should be able to hit both NJ and Maryland on your way south.....

I am planning to hit all the states and provinces I can but I am also limiting daily rides to about 250 miles each day. With the exception of the ride from Camden Hills SP in Maine to Webster, MA, I am avoiding Interstates.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203185958368302937986.0004bce268403f2938d55&msa=0&ll=43.113014,-76.5802&spn=3.107639,7.13562

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203185958368302937986.0004bcbaec46b08daed52&msa=0

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203185958368302937986.0004bdd240c2a373f005b&msa=0

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203185958368302937986.0004cd761405ec043eae9&msa=0

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203185958368302937986.0004cd76e5364f80272bd&msa=0&ll=42.054136,-71.760292&spn=0.197564,0.445976

Edited by Prairiehammer