IGNORED

IE Stopped Working

bongobobny

Might try IE Reset:

Open IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced then at the bottom is a RESET button.

It will probably loose history, maybe cookies and such. But it may shake the gremlins out.

Also, if you want to run this RESET (run the IE Tools, Internet Options, delete functions), you can also do it by opening the Start, Control Panel, Internet Options icon instead of actually opening IE. That is probably cleaner if you are having IE problems.

I would set a Restore Point before doing anything.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Well, downloaded the latest updates on my netbook, which uses the same OS, and IE still works on it. I tried going to the MS website with Chrome and downloaded IE again but it still didn't fix it. Very strange!

Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to invite my computer Wizard over for dinner some time...

What happened to us is that when our Windows 7 machine updated to IE 9 we ended up wit an error message that IE encountered a problem and needed to close. What I did to fix it was to turn off hardware acceleration and use software rendering instead of the graphics processing unit (GPU). This was done so I could get on the internet. I then used Windows update to update the driver, then turned hardware acceleration back on and presto IE works. Instructions for this can be found in IE help or on the Microsoft website.

Jeff