So when I load up a heavy passenger I can't go into any kind of lean angle without draggin parts on the ground.. Also bottom out on bad bumps.. I set the class to High and still have the problem. So I'm thinking the old springs are getting weak. I have a set of progressives for the front that i'm putting in over the winter. Does anyone know if rear progressive springs are still available and where to get them?

I would check the frame, my 83 did the same thing on me.

I was on ride and it kept getting lower and lower when I got home took it apart found the cross member on the frame cracked allowed the back frame to roll up to the point that the mud flap was dragging on the road with just me on.I took it apart pulled it back into place welded it up reinforced it a little no problem since

That was before I found this site and learned about the weak frame on the early bikes.

Their is a Thread about it here someplace.

Good Luck

So when I load up a heavy passenger???

Does Robin Know about this thread????????????? I won't tell.:rotf:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

You know very well that Robin is far from a HEAVY passenger but my son in law is a big boy.. had an interesting ride with him on the back this past Sunday..

Wayne, my sagging problem is more with my front end these days.

Oops, I forgot, no sex or politics here, so I guess I should clarify - while my compressor is working just fine, my front suspension is not holding air and even with Carl's help, we were not able to locate the leak.

I don't think thats the problem Bob.

Its as though the kickstand is too long.

I have to lean the bike to the right to get it down.

Your bike is sitting too low as well then. Have you put lowing links on it or lowered the forks? If not... something is weak and "sagging".

I've noticed on my 2nd Gen ('09) that when I first got it my lift would fit under nicely. After a while I couldn't get it to sit under the left lift bar so I bought a lift that the pads sit lower to the ground. Now I'm finding I have to pull up on the saddle bag rails a bit to slide it under too. Might be all the safety chrome putting more weight on the rear shock... or mine is weakening too.

Edited by XV1100SE
added 2nd gen comment

Your bike is sitting too low as well then. Have you put lowing links on it or lowered the forks? If not... something is weak and "sagging".

I didn't but the previous owner was much shorter than me. He might have.

It just seems like the long kickstand problem snuck in over the last 2 years.

Ok I found this..

http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/pgr-01-1185r/applications

Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.. But I read somewhere and cannot find it again that the "kit" from progressive might come with a tool that would help to install the spring. I know a press will be necessary to do this job.. We changed the rear shock on Brown Angel's ride at the International and while we were at it we took it apart and had the spring out.. As a result I have an idea what it's gonna take.. BTW Thank you PIONEER MOTORSPORTS.. for the use of the tools, lift, shop and press... unbelievable!!!

I left a message at Progressive and am awaiting a response as to what is actually in the "kit"

I don't think thats the problem Bob.

Its as though the kickstand is too long.

I have to lean the bike to the right to get it down.

Ahhh! Misunderstood the symptom! Yup, sure sounds like your rear is sagging! The frame issue is particular only to the '83 model. They redesigned the rear shock mount in '84 by reinforcing it...

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

You know very well that Robin is far from a HEAVY passenger but my son in law is a big boy.. had an interesting ride with him on the back this past Sunday..

Ok, so Bongo isn't hitching rides again, so much for that suspect.... :stirthepot:

Check with that big ugly MOTHER, he used to have one kicking around, his place. He had previously put it on, but didn't like it, so went back to stock.

When I read the title to this thread, my immediate thought was, "He//, I know a lot of folks that have that problem." :bang head:

:15_8_211[1]:

I hear stair stepping is a good way to fix that. A little each day and you will have buns like Jane Fonda

Here is your fix, Russ........... :duck: