IGNORED

Maiden Voyage

Well I took the beast out for it's first semi-long ride Sunday, about 100 or so miles. After working on it for a few weeks , cleaning carbs, repairing the brakes, changing plugs, and all the fluids (coolant, brake fluid, rear oil etc) it was time for a ride. Nice day here on Sunday about 68 so the girlfiend and I said lets go for a ride. She usually rides her own bike, 1997 Honda Shadow VLX 600 but she wanted to ride on the back. The bike rode well and she liked the rear seating and the noise level better than my Electra-Glide. It's not quite as heavy as my Glide so it went through the twisties with ease. Plenty of power and to my amazement everything worked, cruise, self cancelling signals etc. I do have to get used to the hydraulic clutch engagement, and the brakes! Doesn't stop as quickly as my other bikes, but I guess that is because of the linked brakes. The engine temp stayed way down in the green even in traffic. Fuel mileage was 34-35 mpg about the same as my Harley in town. So overall it was a nice ride, and the bike really performed well.....

Ahh yes it it always good to get out on the road after a bunch of wrenching.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out.

As for the brakes, switching to EBC HH pads makes a huge difference in braking over the stock type organic pads. With the linked brakes you do need to learn to use more rear brake than what you are probably accustomed to using.

I think the 1st gens are actually heavier than the glide, they just feel lighter.

My glide weighs in around 875lbs. Have been riding them since the 80's. They handle better at slow speeds than the Venture seems to. But on the highway at cruising speed the Venture reacts much quicker to inputs. I teach the motorcycle safety courses so I always use both brakes when stopping. I was out on the range practicing quick stops and the Venture just would stop longer at the same speeds as my Suzuki or Harley does.

EBC HH pads and SS lines is the way to go makes a big difference in stopping when the funds are right i plan on doing my 84 and the R1 up-grade on my 99 RSTD

:sign yeah that:

Everybody says that the old rubber brake lines "swell" because of age, reducing the actual power to the callipers and that Stainless Steel brake lines will fix it.

Sounds like it makes sense to me.

I haven't done it yet....but it's part of the long list!

:mo money:

Stainless steel line do make a difference in braking. have had them on past model bikes I have owned. Don't get me wrong this bike stops as it is intended to do, but brake systems have come a long way since 1988....