I have 1999 yamaha venture that broadcasts loud and clear to my fellow riders however I can't hear them at all.The cb volume is at max 20, I've turned the IC down/up/mid andd I've even used headphones/speakers. If I have the bike in garage in accessories mode where it's relatively quiet , I can hear truckers reasonably clearly. A friend of mine says his venture is the same way. Is this typical for these bikes and if not ,what can I do?? Someone has put some "jitterbug" or something like that after market attenna on cb and radio( which has very poor range). I have ordered factory attenna to eliminate as possibility!!The cb one currently doesn't have the fat area mid-shaft on attenna. Thanks!!:)

Edited by Wayne McClain
thanks

If I understand you can receive just fine, however the volume is very low? If this is the case I doubt it is your antenna. Have you checked the connectors under the trunk to make sure they are clean and connected well. I have 2 99's and I set the CB volume on both around 10.

Thankyou sirs for your response! I didn't think the problem would be with attenna but since they are not stock they are suspect to me. Yes it transmits loud and clear but I just can't hear any thing going down the road. In the garage it's not very loud however I can understand what is being said. The TX and RX operates when receiving and transmitting. I have not tried the tape deck but the radio operates very loud and clear just the reception range I feel is very low. Do you think amp? I'll try the connections asap and let you know. I just hate digging around running the risk of damage or causing a rattle but I've got to do somethin

g.

Are you SURE that the CB volume is at max? If it is and you are having a low volume problem then it is something other than the antenna. You probably know this but I'm just trying to make sure all bases are covered. The CB volume is separate from the radio volume. You have to press the CB button to make sure you are on CB and then turn the volume up. If that is the case and you do indeed have the cb volume on 20 then there is certainly a problem with the system other than the antenna. There is no way that I could run mine on 20. I would be able to hear it a half block away.

Yes the volume is all the way up and I appreciate your helping me understand this. I have extensive electronics background but I did need to consult owners manual on how to operate controller. The volume window displays "cvol" I believe or " cvol20" or something like that. Is it possible the cb module is faulty? I have removed seats and confirmed good connectios there. I'm concerned about amp..what you think?

When you are adjusting the volume for the CB are you certain the controller has the CB selected?

The controller will set the radio and the CB to different volumes, if you are in one of the audio mods it will noy affect the CB volume even if the CB is on. You have to push the CB button to toggle it to the CB side theh the volume control adjusts the CB volume an dthe audio volume stays where you left it.

Well I see Freebird beat me to this subject while I was typing.

There is one last thing I would check before thinking the worse. Inside the fairing there are 5 large connectors that connect the various components. If you open the fairing, you will see them on the left side of the headlamp as you face the front of the bike. These connectors are well known to suffer from contact issues. They are maybe an inch in diameter so easy to find. MANY MANY of us have had to open the fairing and re-seat these connectors. It is usually necessary to unplug them and plug them back in a few times to get them to make good contact again. The normal practice is to then use so dielectric grease on them. That is the next thing I would try and about the only other thing I can think of.

Wayne

Usually the antenna will affect transmitting far more than receiving. It sounds like you have a bad connection possibly on pins 12 or 13 of the round plug. Be sure to check grounds. I have the service manual on PDF. If you want a copy you can pm me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Mike

Yep..I thought I would need to split the fairing as much as I hate to!! I was thinking connections or amp. I really dont care about cassette but may replace with good used one since I'll it apart.

I would love to have the pdf of schematic but I don't know to pm or im or whatever you do. I'll see if I can figure it out . Thanks to All!!

Gentlemen, with the help of the schematic Mike sent me , I was able to locate the source of my low output cb volume as corroded pins on yellow set of pin-plugs behind headlight assembly.

The fairing came apart quite easily with no damage!! I was very careful ,systematically removing each screw and component. Here I was worried sick about taking this apart .....piece of cake!! Thanks to Mike and all for your input!!

:fatsmiley:

Edited by Wayne McClain
left out name of person who helped me