IGNORED

Worst kind of problem

Handyman

On the way home from Daytona, the two red lights in the bottom corners started flickering. One is oil & the other is temp. They flicker at the same rate. When I turn the key on, every now and then the engine starts without the starter button being pressed and I have to rev it to get the starter to disingage. The lights flicker eradic and different brightness. They never blink unless in gear.A dealer service manager thought it might be a loose ground, but bumps don't effect the flickers. Some days this happens and some days it doesn't. I rode over a 1000 miles to get home and the engine is fine. I feel it may be a switch since I've proded, giggled, poked everything I can think of. I think it has to have the lights, starter and tranny in common.

Any thing like this happen to anyone? Anyone have any ideas where to start? I'm afraid to get far from home.

Thanks

Richard

Exact same problem I had with mine after it fell off it's mount against the engine and melted!!! It is your starting circuit cut off relay assembly and is located below your seat in front of the battery behind the center plastic cover mounted on the metal frame that the coil mounts on! Your turn signals should also speed up. The exact same symptoms, both idiot lights on and auto start with key on...

What happened in my case is the heat from the engine melted the plastic case and put a ground onto the Red/Black line. When cold things were fine, but as soon as the engine warmed up the pin from the relay would short out to ground! As soon as the bike cooled off, it was fine again!!!

Edited by bongobobny

• 3 weeks later...

No, it is not the starter relay or starter solenoid as it is also called. It is sort of in front of the coolant overflow tank mounted on the metal frame that holds the coils. It has a rubber mounting device that hooks onto a metal tab on that shiny metal bracket. The easiest way to access it is remove the 2 metal battery side covers, and then the front plastic center cover that the side covers plug into. The side covers only need one of the 2 allen bolts removed, the other one is a "dummy" screw that merely screws into the cover itself. There is one bolt per side on the bottom of the center cover to remove it. You will also have to unhook the rear coil wires from the plastic retainer in the center of the front cover.

Your problem is not necessarily the relay assembly like mine was, but what happened with mine when the cover melted is that the relay contact that has the red/black wire shorted to ground. You may have a short in the red/black line anywhere giving the same symptoms. You can try unplugging the relay assembly and see if the red lights go out when you do. If it does, your problem is most likely the assembly. If the red lights are still on then you have a short somewhere in the red/black line...

The relay assembly actually has 2 relays inside the black box and a dropping resistor for the lights as well.

I think I'm making headway. The bike was autostart, I unplugged the box and the lights went out. I plugged it back in and everything is normal. Probably just temperary. Since I don't know how to test it for sure, my next step is find another relay.

Thanks for your help,

Richard

Opps, never mind, I have a short. When I pull on the wire, I get results and smoke. It's coming from below the battery. It doesn't look like a handy place to be looking for a problem.

Richard

Maybe not a handy place, but a known place is good. Chasing electrical gremlins is a real PITA.

Good luck with it.

RR