IGNORED

New (prospective) Owner

Let me introduce myself, My names Luke, Im 18, in collage at Michigan Tech, and have been riding bikes for 2 years now. I have had 3 bikes in that time my first (and current) 1982 Virago 750, an old Honda XL18s basket case i put back together and traded that for a 1974 Honda CB550 cafe'd it (http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=32766.0), rode it for a month and a half and sold it. I have always kinda liked the touring bikes (venture being my favorite that i could afford), and am looking to get something a little more practical for a long haul or two and I am a big guy (6'3, 200 lbs) so i want something bigger than my Virago, I have a chance to trade my extra truck (long story how it became extra) for a 1983 Venture with 24000 miles and a 1966 Suzuki B100P. I am excited, already have plans for the Venture. If at least the venture checks out i should have 2 more bikes in my collection in less than a week! :mytruck1: Does anyone have know any specific things i should inspect hard/ problem area's on this bike when i check it out? Also I will have some cash and time over the winter to do some work and upgrade the bike over the winter is there any upgrades you would suggest i make (GPS, driving lights, tapered steering bearings...anything)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK first things first! Welcome to the forum, we don't care what you ride! I share your love affair with the Venture, especially the 1st generation '83 - '93. For a big guy like you it should fit you quite well, just a word of warning, they are big and heavy but once you get used to them they handle like a sports bike!

ANY older bike is going to have problems regardless of the make and model! Besides the known issues of the frame (not a big deal to weld and reinforce) and the 2nd gear (either fix or skip 2nd gear) you will probably have carb issues like the rubber diaphragms and the jets getting clogged up. There is an excellent video sometimes available on fleabay for professionally rebuilding the carbs. It is for the vmax but is essentially the same carb. Some members have this and would probably lend you a copy. The same guy did a video for rebuilding the motor as well.

You will probably end up having to rebuild your front shocks as well as I'm sure the years have taken their toll on the springs and fork seals. We all recommend replacing the springs with Progressive brand springs, it fixes a lot of front suspension problems along with putting in a stronger fork brace like the superbrace. Replacing your neck bearings at that time is also a good idea.

The 1st gen MJK1 ('83 - '85) brakes leave a bit to be desired. They work but not the greatest. Also all 1st gen's have the rear and one front brake linked. When you apply the rear brake it also applies one of the front brakes, a good thing to know for both driving and bleeding the brakes. Some people like the linked brakes, some don't. I myself like them but they can also be delinked. Anyway, to improve the brakes use stainless steel brake lines, and replace the front fork assembly with one from a MK2 ('86 - '93) fork assembly and use either front brakes from a MK2 or from a Yamaha R1 or R6. Also use the front master cylinder from a MK2 if you do this, it has a bigger bore for the bigger size calipers. The front discs also have to be changed.

Other than that the more work you put into the bike (or any bike for that matter) the more you get out of it in terms of reliability and performance. The Venture motor is a strong one with people routinely getting well over 100,000 miles out of them. There is even reported 200000 to 300000 mile stories.

Hope I haven't scared you away from the bike, it may be fine as is to run fine, last a long time! No matter what bike you own or end up with, you are always welcome here! You will find a wealth of information here as well as a great bunch of people here to fellowship with!

Guest tx2sturgis

Luke, you sound like a great young ambassador to the world of motorcycles. I'm glad you found us.

I will catch some hell over this, but here goes:

I think that with you being in college ($$$), and the fact that those bikes need a fair amount of TLC, ($$$) and time, and you're a bigger guy...(and friends...I NEVER slam the gen1), but I think its a bad move.

If you have the motivation, ANYTHING is possible, but the bike is gonna need some repairs and attention...AND...at 200 pounds and 6 foot 3, the ergonomics (rider triangle) is not all that great on the gen1 for guys that are tall. You are used to smaller bikes, so it may be a moot point.

Not to mention that the gen1 is a fast bike...and might get you some 'driving awards' ($$$) , and the resultant insurance hikes($$$), which will ALREADY be high for a teenager with a bike of over 1000cc. Thats just the way it is.

I'm not tryin to slay anyones favorite bike, but I think you should find something a bit more 'ready to ride'...so you can enjoy the small amount of decent riding weather in Michigan you're going to have available considering you're in college and that takes up alot of time and money.

You have a LONG motorcycling life ahead of you, and I just hate to see you spend many days or weeks just fixing that older bike. There is plenty of time to wrench later, AFTER college and maybe a career and marriage and kiddos.

If you had stated that the bike has been properly gone thru and everything fixed, or that you are working as a motorcycle mechanic, I might have had a different answer. But still, your a pretty large fellow, and might prefer a bike that has the legroom you need on a motorcycle. AT LEAST, go sit on the bike with the stand down and see if your legs feel right when on the pegs. Test ride the bike if possible. BTW, did I mention insurance rates will be high($$$) for a teenager on an 'over 1000cc' bike?

If you complete the deal, we're here for you. Lots of members here are VERY knowledgeable on the things you need to know to fix it and keep it running.

If you pass on the bike, then we still would like you to stay around and visit, telling us what bike you did end up with.

Anyway, welcome to the group.

Just my 2 cents here.

:2cents:

Oh, PS: You and most all of us on the board apparently suffer from MBD. (Multiple Bike Disorder). There is NO cure. Only 'treatment'....:D

Edited by tx2sturgis

Welcome aboard Luke!

While tx2 offers some good advice, after reading about your CB550 project it would seem to me that you really enjoy "rebuilding" things and more specifically, a scoot. My advice is ... stick with your passion if you can.

btw... what are you taking in tech college? (mechanics maybe?)

Thanks everybody for your input! TX2, I am more than aware of the cost of insurance on one of these, as for mechanical work needing to be done, probably my favorite part of motorcycles is working on them, I don't care what work it is i will work on almost anything, I am that kind of person who always needs a project going and plan to spend MANY hours working on the bike over the winter and early spring. I am not getting this size of bike to show off my skills (only pulled over once for "lack of exhaust" on my truck :whistling:) The CB550 was just a quick project that i never had intentions of riding much just and opportunity that fell into my lap and i saw a good opportunity to make some quick $$$ (and boy did I) and to pass my time last winter. SilvrT, I am studying Mechanical Engineering technology, so i might get a machining class in but that's about it. Thanks everyone for welcoming me, I love my virago but i want something where i can stretch my legs out and enjoy 3-500 mile trips i have planned.

Guest tx2sturgis

Cool...if your looking for a winter project and have in mind the wrenching required, then I'm on your side now. I just wanted to bring up a few things that may have been overlooked.

You seem quite at home around a wrench and a motorcycle, so maybe even I can sit back and learn.

:icon_lurker:

Carry on sir!

:happy34:

welcome aboard luke000 i just recently purchased a 84 MK1 in Aug. and have had a lot of fun riding it while i work on and get the 99 RSTD running once that is running good i will be shutting down the 84 to do a slow and complete Restoration to it as has been mentioned pay close attention to the 2nd gear issue, change thee front springs to progressives and the brakes regular oil changes a lot of TLC and you are on your way i am 6'1" @ 250 lbs. and the bike has no problem toting my big a_$ around and last but not least the carbs i think my jets are plugged up some but thats from the bike sitting with ethanol gas in it i say sitting it was cranked and ran but not really ridden for 4 years i run seafoam and/or techron in every and ethanol free gas to help it but does not run like it should good luck with it and i know you will enjoy it for years to come have fun and ride safe

You will also need to know that the 2nd Gen owners here are EXTREMELY jealous of the 1st Gens. They bought their Harley look-a-likes then realized what a real bike looks like and rides like, hence the jealously. But, don't worry, we understand and love them anyways... :rasberry: oops I mean :sun:

:rotf:

As a michigan rider that owns an 83 that looks like new, here's some info for you. The 2nd gear going out is not a "might happen" it's a certain to happen thing. You will lose 2nd gear, It costs $2500 to get it fixed More than the selling price of a like new 83. you can check the bike easily if it's about to go. take it for a test ride and get on the throttle hard in second, if it feels like the clutch is going, that is second gear starting to die. it will continue to get worse until it's gone. Make a very lowball offer on the bike unless he can show you proof of the 2nd gear repair, I.E. a dealer receipt of the work being done, or a bike repair receipt for it.

If the owner ever put it on the center stand and would swing it around on the center stand, you have frame tears waiting to cause a big crash. get under the bike with a mirror and flashlight, and look around where the rear shock mounts to the frame up to where the center stand mounts. ANY thing that looks like cracks, walk away from the bike unless he give it to you for free.

Finally, you are looking at a classic antique bike. You had better know and be willing to do a lot of wrenching to keep it running. It is a VERY reliable bike, but no bike dealer will touch them, and I have found that most current yamaha dealer mechanics are incompetent on old bikes. So you have to fix it. Parts can be hard to find. rubber parts on the engine are impossible to find.

Check the Clutch fluid and front brake fluid. if it's not clear, you need to flush and clean all that up and possibly do a clutch master rebuild 83's suck in moisture like mad, so the fluids need to be changed yearly, more if stored outside. Drop the price by $500 if dirty fluid. use a tire gauge and check the air in the front and rear. if no air pressure, they need to be rebuilt unless he has documentation of the forks being rebuilt with progressive springs.

Lastly, start the bike from cold and run it for a short time and check all 4 pipes to see if they are warming up. The Venture will run PERFECT on 3 cylinders. you can not tell if one is dead without feeling the pipes get hot. the 83 has problems with he Ignition TCI box dying. they are impossible to find in good condition, but you can get an aftermarket for about $300.00 so if one cyl is dead, and you get no spark on that cyl or more, TCI is probably dead, another $500 off the price.

All that said, It is a FANTASTIC bike to own. Best ride you will ever get, faster than most harleys, and I surprise kids on 650 ninjas quite often. You can ride for 1000 miles and feel fine. But you need to know how to work on bikes to afford to own it. Expect to drop about $500 a year into it for basic upkeep and repairs, That is what I have had except for the $3500 paint job and plastic repairs.

Just remember, it's an old bike, they require TLC, and regular doses of money and maintenance.

Edited by timgray

Some of us even go both ways, owening a first and second gen. This way we can have all kinds of fun.:cool10:

Yea.. i think they refer your type as ' Bi-Kers" :rotfl::rotf:

Sorry...couldn't resist.....:sun:

:no-no-no:hey now KIC some of us just want to see what those 2nd genners are really missing like me i really appreciate my 1st gen cause im constantly turning a wrench on the 2nd gen and have only ridden it 20 miles yes that is two zero miles in the last year and have put almost 3500 miles on my first gen since August when i bought the bike :322: now i dont have time to turn a wrench on the 2nd gen :whistling: :confused24::stickinouttounge:im toooooo buusssssyyyyyyy riding my 84 1st gen red head :stickinouttounge: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well I am still getting excited about the Venture (along with the 1966 Suzuki B100P). Thank you everyone for your help. I attached a few pictures of the two bikes I might be trading my truck for. I still have my truck on Craigslist and today i was offered a 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1200 with 54000 miles. This bike also peeks my curiosity a lot. Does anyone have any (bias or non-bias) opinions on this bike? I have yet to see any pictures of it but i was told its in good shape and runs good. How do they compare in your guy's eyes? BTW I am dead set on a Touring bike unless a 1995+ Honda shadow pops up.

The Venture was a far superior bike to the Aspencade but it stuill was a decent touring bike, but it is all personal preference. Once again, any older bike is going to need a certain amount of TLC and Preverntative Maintenance.

That '66 with the chrome toaster gas tank does look cool!!

Well I am still getting excited about the Venture (along with the 1966 Suzuki B100P). Thank you everyone for your help. I attached a few pictures of the two bikes I might be trading my truck for. I still have my truck on Craigslist and today i was offered a 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1200 with 54000 miles. This bike also peeks my curiosity a lot. Does anyone have any (bias or non-bias) opinions on this bike? I have yet to see any pictures of it but i was told its in good shape and runs good. How do they compare in your guy's eyes? BTW I am dead set on a Touring bike unless a 1995+ Honda shadow pops up.

Luke,

If I'm not mistaken the GL 1200 was a fairly decent bike. The timing belts were a bear to swap out as well as the charging system if memory serves me correct. Personally I would take the 1st gen over the Wing anyday, besides I like the looks of the 1st gen way better than it's comparable year Wing, that B100P is sweet.

That's scary, I do not speak French but I pretty much understood the whole page!!!

Luke, I see by the picture that the '83 you are looking at is a Standard and not a Royale. They are pretty much the same bike EXCEPT for some definately nice creature comforts like the Computer Leveling Air Suspension System (CLASS), AM/FM Cassette and intercom audio system, cruise control, and CB radio (aftermarket accessory for the MK1). These items can be added on relatively easily but you need to either replace your wiring harness or add the additional wiring for these accessories. There are several easily done modifications you can do for riding comfort for you, and for any female passengers you happen to give a ride to!!! When properly running and in proper mechanical shape, the 1st Gen MK1 handles and performs almost like a crotch rocket except it will only hit about 130 mph. A word of warning, you can indeed lift the front wheel off the ground with these which is scary on a 900 lb bike...

Luke, welcome to the asylum. I went to MTU a few years ago (almost 40, graduated in ‘76). You will have some great riding up there in the Late late spring, summer and early early fall. You will enjoy the ’83 Venture but as others have said plan to work on it. One item seems to really help is a Delka AGM battery has better CCA. These bikes need a little extra to get started. If your battery is a little low the bike will crank but not start. Can be very frustrating. When you check the compression if one or two of the cylinders is a little low check the valve clearance.

As for the difference between the GL1200 and the Venture. The venture is more fun to ride but the wing is easier to work on and the GL1100 I had was very smooth at speed. The plastic on the wing was better. The center of gravity is much lower on the wing, at very low speed the Venture is top heavy. I’m 6’-2” and well over 250# . The motor guards on the GL1100 I had hit me in the shins when I stopped at corners and the highway pegs were needed to “stretch out”.

BTW, when riding the Venture you will notice that they like to run a little higher RPM around 4000 RPM is were mine was the happiest. Look for a “maintenance day” in your area. It a great way to get help and learn about your bike and meet other riders in your area.

There is a wealth of knowledge about these bikes in this group and everyone is very willing to help. Also, use the search function to search for specific problems.

Good luck whichever way you go

Well, Now chalk it up to a 3rd bike I am going to look at now, 1987 Venture. 22000 Miles. I am going to take a look at it first on Friday morning. Are they about the same problems i should look out for (2nd gear, Dead TCI, frame cracks, bad clutch master cylinder) or are those more common found on '83 and other MK1's VS this MK2? Is this one much better of a bike? What are the big differences between the '83 and '87 besides the extra 100cc? ****Also the owner said something about it needing new coils because it seems like its lacking a little low end power, he does have the new coils just has not put them on (i am willing & expecting to do a fair amount of work to whatever bike I do buy****

Frame and gear and driveshaft problems are all solved by the end of the 85 model year.Is the 87 a Royale?You can tell by the badging,am/fm cassette intercom cb radio and built in leveling system and cruise control.The 87 is a much prettier bike, imho.

In looking at the pictures it seems to be a standard,but a nice one with a nice add on set of lights on the rear.Those are not tock but Ventureline add ons.

Edited by Pegasus1300
content.

Ohhh.. a blue 87.. I love it ! I have a blonde (gold) 87 and a brunette 89. You will like the MKII 87 better than the MK1. The list of items to look at that are in the original post are the MKII items. That list from Sky Doc was for me when I first looked at my 89 last December. Then in February I bought my 87 and then mid summer two more 84 parts bikes. They are addicting. :happy65:

:sun:

I have included the information from the link in a Word document that just made it easier for me to read and look at the bike at the same time. Also attached the stat sheets for an 89 very similar to an 87.

1989 stats and information.doc

CHECKLIST for 1st Generation VENTURES.doc