IGNORED

Auto 2 post lift

SMSgt

Kent, I have some experience on this. I have a two post automotive lift in my own personal shop, at home on the ranch, and I installed it 100 % on my own. I have installed several of these lifts for friends over the years.

Wait...I have to run out to my shop to see what brand it is...

Okay, I am back. I reaslly did run out to my shop.

I did not find the name brand on my lift, but I did find the model #. It is a TP9A-F. Here is the website for it:

http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/UnitedProducts-2-Post-Lift-Model-TP9A-p/tp9a.htm

The price has gone up since I bought mine, but still a good deal.

I know that it is a 9000 lb. asymetrical arm lift. I had to go with the low-profile lift, due to height restrictions in my shop. My overhead ceiling joists are just under 12 feet from the floor, so I could not use a conventional lift. Ceiling joist or rafter height is an important fator in choosing a lift. If you have the vertical clearance, then by all means get a lift that has the connecting beam or rods from one post to the other...as overhead. In my case, with a lower ceiling height, I had to go with the floor connector beam. Not a problem if you are used to it. The smal ramp that I have to drive over that connects the left post to the right post is rarely noticeable, unless you were doing a lot of transmission work.

You already know to go with a 9,000 lb lift or more. You stated you wanted a 10,000 lb. lift. For most cars, any lift rated at 7,500 lbs or more is good. For a pick=up or truck, it is best to use a 9,000 lb or more rated lift. And...try to get one with asymetrical arms, that also have pads that are height adjustable.

You can do a lot of searching online, and find a lot of lifts there. You do not have to buy one...made in America...as most of the iron used in making these in China was iron that was sent to China from the USA. Buy what you are comfortable with.

Having had auto lifts for many years, at different homes, I had no problem ordering one online. I paid a total price of $ 1,600.00...delivered to my shop doors. That was it...a total of $ 1,600.00. It then cost me an additional $ 200.00 at the most to do the entire install myself, including all wiring, and hydraulics. Believe me, it was not easy lifting and hoisting those vertical posts into an upright position, all by myself. I drilled the holes into my shop concrete floor, installed the floor bolts, washers and nuts, and did all the wiring into a 220v single phase connection, all by myself.

I have now ised this lift for the past 5 years, it works perfect, is balanced from side to side, and can lift anything I have on my ranch, including my Dodge 1 ton truck that I use to haul hay for my critters.

Do an internet search for a lift, and then talk to me. Send me a PM if you want detailed info.:backinmyday:

Edited by Miles

we have been using 2 post lifts made by rotary for decades now and have never had one fail.

if you are mainly lifting cars then get one where both arms swing the same direction. it is alot easier for lifting smaller cars.

if you are lifting mainly trucks then go with one where the arms swing in different directions.

I have a two post hoist in my shop that I bought used 17 years ago. The one thing I don't like about it is the 2" ramp I have to drive over between the two posts. If you have the height to get the one with the connections that cross over at the top, that's what I would get. I my case it's what was available at the time and ceiling height would have been an issue. Today I could buy a nice new one for what I had to pay for a used one back then.

I was thinking about one a couple of years ago but had decided to go with a 4 post. This is the one that I had decided on but decided I didn't need to spend the money.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

I had decided on a 4 post lift until I found out that it would cost another $1000 or so to buy the jacking adapter. Also I need one that I can drive through because my shop is 60 feet deep and I am planning on putting the lift in the center on one side and would like to be able to drive a car from back to front in my shop.

Thanks for the imput.