IGNORED

RSTD Rear Fender Tip Installation

georgebill

Has anyone done an installation of a chrome rear fender tip, the "Official" Yamaha fender tip that requires drilling holes for the mounting bolts? I installed the front fender back of fender tip with no problems. My question is how much "Stuff" would I need to remove to have access to the rear fender to be able to drill holes in the proper locations.

I'm sure I would need to remover the bags, but how much of the other hardware must be removed?

Thanks!

Has anyone done an installation of a chrome rear fender tip, the "Official" Yamaha fender tip that requires drilling holes for the mounting bolts? I installed the front fender back of fender tip with no problems. My question is how much "Stuff" would I need to remove to have access to the rear fender to be able to drill holes in the proper locations.

I'm sure I would need to remover the bags, but how much of the other hardware must be removed?

Thanks!

Hi George.

I installed the fendertips on my 1998 Tour Classic but when I did that I had the bikes rear part pretty much dissasembled since I was greasing the splines and driveshaft as well as going through some other things so the bike had no back tire, bags, exhaust etc. in the back, just the bare fender.

The only reason for something else than the bags to be removed would be if the hole you need to drill would be behind the fender rail (1) that is bolted to your fender and the exhaust support bracket (2) and I actually suspect it is in the way. And if needed to be removed then it´s a minor job - removal of around six bolts on either side or so and then reinstall afterwards. It´s a "unscrew/screw in" job - anybody can do that. Note that the support bracket for your exhaust (2) is connected to gether in the back with a connection piece (3) that runs behind/under the fender and actually holds up the support bracket since that piece is bolted to the fender rails (1). If you have to remove the rails the mufflers will get a little strain on them since they will want to hang down in the back. Just put some kind of a support under the back of the exhaust support bracket on both sides to avoid them sagging. If not done it can damage the exhaust gaskets and cause leaks.

I would remove the back wheel if I were you just to have comfortable space to work with and also you should in my opinion apply a rust preventing primer or something similiar to the bare metal in the drilled hole. If you opt for leaving the back tire on the bike make sure you put a piece of wood or steel between the fender and the tire to prevent the drill puncturing the tire when it shoots through the fender. When I did mine I drilled a small hole first with a 2mm drill bit and then afterwards used a drill of the right size for the bolt. That way there is much lesser chance of the drill bit moving from the accurate spot when you start drilling the fender.

When I installed these tips on my bike I was a little sceptical regarding the bare metal of the fender tip lying and touching the bare metal of the fender. Went to the hardware store and bought 3M rubberstrips the kind you use in your windowframe between the glass and the wood. They come in various thicknesses and widths and are selfadhesive and I used a thin and narrow one for lining the fender tip on the inside just about 1-2mm from the edge. Worked out perfectly. Took the fender tips off this spring to see if everything was O.k. behind it and it was absolutely clean with no scratches. I recommend this but on the other hand I can be a little picky about things like this.

Wish you well with your tips and remember to post some photos when you are done. Attached are the kind of Fendertips I used, Picture of the back of my USA based bike (no tips) as well as a picture of the similiar kind glass rubberlist I used on the inside of the tips.

Jonas

Jonas, thank you so much for the very in depth reply to my question. Sounds like a very doable installation, even for me! I won't be removing the rear wheel, as my mechanical skill is not at that level. However, removing the fender rails and exhaust support looks to be quite easy.

Thanks for all the pointers, especially the advice concerning supporting the mufflers to prevent gasket damage.

You're located in Iceland! Wow, I've always wanted to visit there, but Rand McNally doesn't show a roadway for my RSTD to make it there. 😝

Thanks again, and try to stay warm!

George

Jonas, thank you so much for the very in depth reply to my question. Sounds like a very doable installation, even for me! I won't be removing the rear wheel, as my mechanical skill is not at that level. However, removing the fender rails and exhaust support looks to be quite easy.

Thanks for all the pointers, especially the advice concerning supporting the mufflers to prevent gasket damage.

You're located in Iceland! Wow, I've always wanted to visit there, but Rand McNally doesn't show a roadway for my RSTD to make it there.

Thanks again, and try to stay warm!

George

Hi George.

You don´t need any mechanical skills to take the tire off and reinstall it. If you want me to I can walk you through it or send you a detailed write up step by step - bolt by bolt. Just let me know.

You don´t need the roadway to Iceland. Ask Your Rand McNally to take you to JFK and 5 hours later you´re in Iceland. SIMPLE !

Actually am in Norway at the moment at work. Iceland is a tropical island compared to stupid North Norway. Man it can get cold here.

Yes,,,I can promise you that I do my outmost to stay warm here :cold:

Took a walk downtown this evening and met a :rudolf: reindeer in the middle of town

in a walking street. Had to move to the side to let it pass and then stepped in it´s sh#$&%$tttt ! :mad:

Ride safely,

Jonas

Would I be able to check my RSTD in as baggage, or would it be carry on?

With the Fender Tip it is a baggage in hold. Without, a carry on.

Just leave the Tour Delux. Getting you a bike in Iceland is not a problem. You could borrow my ´98 Tour Classic :)

Jonas

• 9 months later...