IGNORED

Question on fuel tank and bib

I was wondering what was under the tank bib and if it had any real significance or if it was just decoration? I didn't want to pull it off if it covered anything up. Anyone have a picture of what it looks like under the bib? Not really thrilled with the look. I would prefer a clean top to the fuel tank.

Guest BluesLover

There's nothing under the rubberized bib. I ripped mine off to replace it with a leather bib.

Be ready to use substantial elbow grease (and other solvents) to remove the sticky stuff that the rubberized bib leaves behind.

Cheers,

I was wondering what was under the tank bib and if it had any real significance or if it was just decoration? I didn't want to pull it off if it covered anything up. Anyone have a picture of what it looks like under the bib? Not really thrilled with the look. I would prefer a clean top to the fuel tank.

There is a weld seam under the bib so it is there to cover up the seam. The only way to go "bib-less" without an exposed seam would require bodywork and paint. Larry

Thanks guys. If there is no weld seam then mines coming off like hig4s's. Just don't like the way it looks.

Remove your seat, you'll find two push-in type fasteners that hold the bottom end of the bib in place.... simply remove the 2 fasteners and pull up the bib to expose the tank underneath. You'll find a seam under there, it's a nice smooth weld but it's still a seam. It all depends on personal taste whether you don't mind having it exposed or not. I personally wouldn't but that's IMHO. Just pull the bib back some if you decide you wouldn't like the seam showing, simply put the bib back down and you're good to go. Or remove it completely and go bib-less Good luck, Larry

Thanks guys. If there is no weld seam then mines coming off like hig4s's. Just don't like the way it looks.

When you take it off, you can use a good strong fishing string and work it back and forth like a saw blade and it will peel the bib right off..

If you have no use for it, I'ld be interested in it after you remove it

I will add it to the free parts list .......

Another pic for ya. My bike is an 2006 RSV, it was blackcherry but I tore it down last winter and painted it silver and blue 2-tone (it's in the 24 month Venturerider calender, April '08 :)). I do bodywork/paintwork for a living, been in the trade 23 years. I had an 2001 RSV which I also painted and it had the identical seam in it's tank as well. You can clearly see the seam in my pic, it's pretty smooth but it's still there. If it doesn't bother ya then it's bib-less for you my friend. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Larry

http://www.maj.com/gallery/bowa/rsv/tank_seam_6.jpg

Another pic for ya. My bike is an 2006 RSV, it was blackcherry but I tore it down last winter and painted it silver and blue 2-tone (it's in the 24 month Venturerider calender, April '08 :)). I do bodywork/paintwork for a living, been in the trade 23 years. I had an 2001 RSV which I also painted and it had the identical seam in it's tank as well. You can clearly see the seam in my pic, it's pretty smooth but it's still there. If it doesn't bother ya then it's bib-less for you my friend. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Larry

Is yours that noticable in person, on my 07 in blue it is much more noticable in the pic than it is in person.

Is yours that noticable in person, on my 07 in blue it is much more noticable in the pic than it is in person.

Actually the pic shows it pretty accurately. I did have a difficult time trying to take a pic that would show it. I suppressed the flash and that helped. Being that I do body and paint work, my eyes gravitate to imperfections in the paint or bodywork. There's no way I could have it out in the open :). Before I painted my '01 RSV I finished off the seam so it was totally invisible after paint but I still ended up with a bib on it ( I like the looks better with a bib). I didn't bother doing that to my '06 before paint since I planned on staying with a bib. Everyone has different taste, I personally went with a leather bib w/pocket from Yamaha and really like how it looks. The cheesy stock rubber one doesn't do much for me. Take care, Larry