IGNORED

Geek Squad Warranty!

cabreco

You have to love Best Buy. 4 years ago I bought a 52" LCD Sony Bravia. I had their "Black Tie" warranty. It developed a green line 4" from the edge (not really bad) which would go away after 40 minutes. They can't get the replacement part from Sony for 2 months so the GAVE me a NEW 55" LED Sony Bravia Internet TV FREE!!! because Sony doesn't make 52" LCD tvs anymore. :cool10:

they is coming to look at my 47" lg tomorrow it loses pic and sound after 4 or 5 min warranty is up in feb so hoping they dont wanna fix it:fingers-crossed-emo

If the fix is not feasible, the tech will offer you to exchange it. When I got to the store they said the "comparable" unit was a Phillips 52". I said absolutely not! I wanted a SONY. I bought my Bravia after months of research & I even had the model that was closest to my unit BY SONY. They caved without much argument since they KNEW I was correct.

Hey they tried!

If the fix is not feasible, the tech will offer you to exchange it. When I got to the store they said the "comparable" unit was a Phillips 52". I said absolutely not! I wanted a SONY. I bought my Bravia after months of research & I even had the model that was closest to my unit BY SONY. They caved without much argument since they KNEW I was correct.

Hey they tried!

I bought an LG 42" LCD yesterday from Future Shop and was told by the salesman that most factories are stopping production of LCD TV's so if a replacement is necessary during the warranty period the LCD TV would be replaced by an LED TV. Mostly I don't go for extended warranties but that sold me on it.:mo money:

I'm too easy.

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but I always kackle outloud when I read or hear someone say "I did extensive research for a prolonged period of time" and I decided to go with SONY! What that tells me is.....either you really didn't do as much research as you should've and you actually just went with a very popular brand name, or.......you really like buying from companies that don't actually make their own flat panel TV's, and they outsource them.

The top "MFG's" of flat panel TV's for quite some time has been Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, and off brand low dollar TV manufacturers like Amtran, Orion, Oxoceco, and Funai. Notice I said MFG's, not sellers. Sony hasn't manufactured their own TV's for years. Since the late 1990's or early 2000's Samsung has made almost all of Sony's flat panel TV's, with the remaining small amount made by Sharp.

Nearly all flat panel TV's are made by the above mentioned mfg's and then stamped with other names.

Enough research will unvail some weird scenarios like LG making the Best Buy Insignia brand and other mixed up alliances.

I like Sony products a lot. I have a great stereo system thats made by Sony, and some other electronic items made by them. But, don't be big name brand fooled into thinking that "by God I buy Sony TV's and pay more for it because I buy the best on the market". You are buying one of, if not the best on the market, but it's not a Sony, it's more than likely Samsung, or Sharp.

So, the moral of the story is, if you want to buy the highest quality flat panel TV's on the market that are manufactured and sold under the same name, buy Samsung, Panasonic, LG, or Sharp.

But, if you're into paying more for a well known seller brand that the general public says WOW about, but they really don't make their product. Then buy Sony.

Hope I didn't offend anybody.

Guest tx2sturgis

If Sony specs the products as they want them, then outsources the best screens, circuit boards, power supplies, cabinets, remotes, and software, from many different OEMs, (not tied to only ONE line of products), and then covers them with a good warranty, and markets to the more affluent buyer, I can see how they might be a superior product, not just a sum of the various parts.

Not saying thats the way they do it, but who knows?

Some of the Sony products I have owned over the past 2 or 3 decades have been great, others have been a disappointment.

Samsung, Panasonic, and LG are also hanging out in the upper levels of consumer electronics.

And every now and then, electronics DO break.

Just sayin. :whistling:

Lenny and Sturgis, I need a "nail on the head" icon for both og you. If you dig enough, Samsung, LG, or Panasonic is the way to go.

I bet if you really dig you will almost always come back to Panasonic. Which was formerly Matsu****a Electonics Corp.

When I upgraded my tv's, I looked at model info based on my understanding of the specs and narrowed down the list of what I wanted. One of the items was LCD vs Plasma (LED came out later). For me, I went plasma because of the room and the sports/shows that I commonly watch.

Buying a brand name is important and I'll go with the major brands. If someone tells me "manufacturer/model X is as good as Y" (Y being a major brand like Sony, Panasonic)... I'll buy Y.

Yes, there are limited companies that make certain items. But the major brands USUALLY have tighter tolerances on components. Yes Sony and no-name companies buy panels from the same manufacturers... but not the identical panels. The manufacturer will make one panel for Sony, another for LG, etc. Even the electronic components in the tv's will vary based on spec.

Sony, Panasonic, LG make different levels of tv's. You can get a high end Panasonic plasma tv of a certain size, and two lower levels with the same screen size... but the lower panels have lower specs or quality tolerances.

I work in the computer department for Toyota in Cambridge, Ontario where we make the Lexus RX350 on one line and Corolla on another. Same location but different quality levels, tolerances. Both made by Toyota... but different level of vehicle.

Buying something like a tv or digital camera, I'll look at the specs important to me, narrow it down to a few models, read magazine reviews, then look at customer reviews. You have to be careful with customer reviews though because people will rate something higher to justify their decision.

When I upgraded my tv's, I looked at model info based on my understanding of the specs and narrowed down the list of what I wanted. One of the items was LCD vs Plasma (LED came out later). For me, I went plasma because of the room and the sports/shows that I commonly watch.

Buying a brand name is important and I'll go with the major brands. If someone tells me "manufacturer/model X is as good as Y" (Y being a major brand like Sony, Panasonic)... I'll buy Y.

Yes, there are limited companies that make certain items. But the major brands USUALLY have tighter tolerances on components. Yes Sony and no-name companies buy panels from the same manufacturers... but not the identical panels. The manufacturer will make one panel for Sony, another for LG, etc. Even the electronic components in the tv's will vary based on spec.

Sony, Panasonic, LG make different levels of tv's. You can get a high end Panasonic plasma tv of a certain size, and two lower levels with the same screen size... but the lower panels have lower specs or quality tolerances.

I work in the computer department for Toyota in Cambridge, Ontario where we make the Lexus RX350 on one line and Corolla on another. Same location but different quality levels, tolerances. Both made by Toyota... but different level of vehicle.

Buying something like a tv or digital camera, I'll look at the specs important to me, narrow it down to a few models, read magazine reviews, then look at customer reviews. You have to be careful with customer reviews though because people will rate something higher to justify their decision.

XV1100,

Very good post with super valid points. I did like you, I purchased a plasma (Panasonic) due to the room I was putting it in, and its better when watching fast action shows like sports. Also Plasma has blacker blacks and whiter whites than LCD's.

One point I waver from you on is your statement that Sony, Panasonic, and LG make different levels of TV's. Panasonic and LG do, but Sony does not make/mfg TV's. They do assemble components that they have farmed out to other company's to make. However, I do agree that those components are made to very high specs and that makes Sony a quality buy if someone wants go that route.

I'm glad you mentioned the Toyota/Lexus comparison. My feelings have always been why pay crazy money for a Lexus, Infinit, Acura, when I can save a ton of money by buying a loaded to gills little brother, Toyota, Infiniti, Acura and get basically the same car. So what you're saying is, that's not true?

HAHA. I get a kick out of this thread. Who makes a better product. Do you really think our eyes can notice the difference in the same setting under the same conditions. Maybe but then you get used to what your seeing.

I am more interested in getting a decent product from a good distributor. When it breaks and the distributor honours the warranty all is good.

So keep paying more for less, oh yah also pay more because it is new just so that we all have jobs. :rotf:

The aboce is just to :stirthepot:

Lexus vs Toyota are you serious different tolerances and quality levels. Always thought the specifc parts (brg's, calipers, hubs, metal cladding) were the same. Thought you were paying for a fancy GPS, voice activation, fancy electronics etc.., better quality suspensions, with more sound proofing insulation. :sign20:

Brad

Brad

HAHA.

Lexus vs Toyota are you serious different tolerances and quality levels. Always thought the specifc parts (brg's, calipers, hubs, metal cladding) were the same. Thought you were paying for a fancy GPS, voice activation, fancy electronics etc.., better quality suspensions, with more sound proofing insulation. :sign20:

Brad

Brad

To your point. I just read an article in Motor Trend last night about the brand new re-designed Toyota Avalon. Tested and compared it to its counter part Lexus ES. Motor Trends opinion was that the way less expensive Avalon was a better overall vehicle. We Americans have always been suckers for the upsale. Take the same product and put a few little bells and whistles on it and call it a Cadillac and Americans will spend their house money to buy and puff their chests out. One example that is hilarious is we think so highly about Mercedes, BMW's. We pay crazy stupid money for them, but in Germany, they use them for taxi's. LOL.

I tend to buy LG...because of brand.

I don't do a lot of research...but here's what made me a customer for life.

I had a cheap GPS ($150 when new) made by LG

After more than 2 years, I dropped it and it stopped working.

I called up LG in Toronto (about 150 miles away) and asked if it would be worth sending it in for a repair estimate. During the conversation I told the service rep that it was way past warrentee.

The service rep. gave me an account number to send it to them via UPS.

I figured the shipping would just be added to the bill.

UPS picked it up on Monday.

Wednesday (2 days later) UPS was knocking on my door to deliver my repaired GPS. They had installed a new touch screen on it.

No charge....no shipping either way....and they THANKED ME for sending it to them!!!!!!

That repair cost them....I don't know....$50????

But since then I have bought a 42" Plasma TV, 2 LG Fridge/freezers, a computer monitor, and my new cell phone....all LG.

I will recommend them to ANYONE willing to listen.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I like to mess with Lexus owners & ask them how they like their Toyota. Pisses them off every time. They try to not associate it with Toyota, because they don't have the same status.

I am just an ******* like that. :)

My father in law is retired GM. I tried to tell him the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe were made in the same factory. He didn't want to hear about it.

My father in law is retired GM. I tried to tell him the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe were made in the same factory. He didn't want to hear about it.

Thats very true. They are made in the same factory.

GM has had a long standing relationship with Toyota, and Suzuki.

Vibe was made in the joint venture GM/Toyota plant in California that shut down a few years ago. The Matrix is made at the plant I work at in Cambridge, Ontario.

Edited by XV1100SE

Thats very true. They are made in the same factory.

GM has had a long standing relationship with Toyota, and Suzuki.

Definitely NOT true about the Vibe and Matrix being made in the same plant. Our location is the ONLY location that has ever made the Matrix. The Pontiac Vibe stopped production when GM pulled out of the joint venture at the NUMMI plant in California.

To clarify the article in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUMMI ...

the plant I work at (in I.T.) opened in 1988 and has made the Corolla from day 1. Matrix was added in 2004. We have made the Camry Solara in the past but that line switched to Lexus RX300/RX350 (only plant outside of Japan that makes Lexus). Our second plant in Woodstock makes the RAV4... with an electric version using the Tesla power plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMMC

Definitely NOT true about the Vibe and Matrix being made in the same plant. Our location is the ONLY location that has ever made the Matrix. The Pontiac Vibe stopped production when GM pulled out of the joint venture at the NUMMI plant in California.

To clarify the article in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUMMI ...

the plant I work at (in I.T.) opened in 1988 and has made the Corolla from day 1. Matrix was added in 2004. We have made the Camry Solara in the past but that line switched to Lexus RX300/RX350 (only plant outside of Japan that makes Lexus). Our second plant in Woodstock makes the RAV4... with an electric version using the Tesla power plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMMC

Well, I stand corrected. That hasn't happened in quite some time. LOL. They may have been made at different factories, but they were still the same vehicle with a little different wrinkle here and there.

So, your plant made the Corolla, did the NUMMI plant make the GM/Toyota joint venture Geo Prizm too?

GM has leaned on Daewoo to make their little Chevrolet Aveo car.

GM and Toyota have been married for years. All of the American auto makers do that. Ford was inner mingled with Mazda, Kia, Jaguar, Nissan. We used to own a Mercury Villager minivan that was the same vehicle as the Nissan Quest. Dodge was married to Mitsubishi, Mercedes, and a few others. Dodge currently partners with VW to make the VW's minivan.

There's a bunch of that business in the auto world.

American auto makers were getting their tails kicked early on in the compact and sub compact market by the Japanese. So, they all took the ole, if ya can't beat em, join em route, and that's how this marriage thing started.

I tend to buy LG...because of brand.

I don't do a lot of research...but here's what made me a customer for life.

I had a cheap GPS ($150 when new) made by LG

After more than 2 years, I dropped it and it stopped working.

I called up LG in Toronto (about 150 miles away) and asked if it would be worth sending it in for a repair estimate. During the conversation I told the service rep that it was way past warrentee.

The service rep. gave me an account number to send it to them via UPS.

I figured the shipping would just be added to the bill.

UPS picked it up on Monday.

Wednesday (2 days later) UPS was knocking on my door to deliver my repaired GPS. They had installed a new touch screen on it.

No charge....no shipping either way....and they THANKED ME for sending it to them!!!!!!

That repair cost them....I don't know....$50????

But since then I have bought a 42" Plasma TV, 2 LG Fridge/freezers, a computer monitor, and my new cell phone....all LG.

I will recommend them to ANYONE willing to listen.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

That's pretty dang impressive, Trader.

My Honey and I bought a Kenmore Elite french door fridge/freezer about 9 months ago. It's made by LG and she loves the dang thing, Haven't had a lick of trouble with it so far.

During our search for a refridgerator, we were in Best Buy looking, and there was a Korean couple in the store looking at LG's right along beside us. I asked them where they were from, when they answered South Korea, I asked them why they were only looking at LG's and not Samsung's since both companies were large South Korean conglomerates? They said in South Korea, it is a very common opinion that LG is a higher quality brand than Samsung.

I found that kinda interesting.

We bought one of those stainless 4 door refrigerators. (Side by side ref, over/under freezers)

The Samsung and the LG look very similar. But after talking to two different people (an independent appliance repair guy, 30+ years in the business, and the well informed Best Buy delivery guy) they said the Samsungs usually come back, the LG's always work. Happy with the LG.

I have a acid test for refrigerators in the store. If the door will not close on it's own, I won't buy it.

I also replaced my Sony Blueray with a LG last week. They Sony tends to get lost in the menus (even after updating the software). Had to give up on trying to watch Prometheus on the Sony.

I've often wondered if we should have a separate/dedicated forum for general product recommendations. I realize that we will often not agree but it might be nice to have a place to seek input for items not motorcycle related. For example, we needed a new vacuum cleaner and I had been doing a ton of research to decide which one to buy. I know that some folks swear by the Dyson but all the tests that I've seen have concluded that it is NOT very good at least in the area of air filtration.

After doing a ton of research, I ended up buying one that I had not even heard of. I Miele. The primary reason that I chose it was that it has TRUE HEPA filtration. Only time will tell if I made the correct decision.

Anyway, any input on whether or not I should add a dedicated forum for such things? Appliances, computers, whatever?